Old 05-06-2011, 06:49 AM
Bill McGonigle

Default CentOS 6 status update (relayed from the web forum)

On 04/26/2011 11:25 AM, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> A build and QA plan is being worked out now with the QA team. I
> expect that once this is finalized there will be a statement from a
> CentOS dev with more details.

via Twitter, 5:13 AM May 3rd:

CentOS-6 release plan, target-1) tree's to QA by 10th May

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner
BFC Computing, LLC

Old 05-07-2011, 08:17 PM
David Hrbáč

Dne 7.5.2011 00:03, Thomas Göttgens napsal(a):
> Hi David,
>
> all the neccessary packages are in the spacewalk-client repo anyway.
> Plus as of Spacewalk 1.4 they can be provisioned from the server quite easily.
> Why duplicate work? These are not really needed for a standalone
> CentOS.

Thomas,
This is not the duplication. First of all you have to register the
system into Spacewalk. So you need rhnreg_ks, which is in
rhn-setup-1.3.12-1.el5. One must install spacewalk-repo-client package
first.
Regards,
DH

Old 06-01-2011, 05:52 PM
Andrzej Szymański

On 2011-05-31 00:40, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> the isos are uploading at the moment, will try and put some of this
> stuff into a blog post on the qaweb interface
>
> - KB

I don't know whether you use (and can use) the following hack to speed
up rsyncing the iso files:

- you need to have the full (or mostly complete) package tree on the target

- on the target machine manually make the tar archive out of already
rsynced package tree, rename that tar to CentOS-whatever_it_is.iso so
that it pretends to be the older version of the real .iso

- rsync the real iso (CentOS-whatever_it_is.iso) over this template iso

The test made with CentOS-5.6-x86_64-bin-DVD-1of2.iso shows:

sent 186234656 bytes received 521538 bytes 3626333.86 bytes/sec
total size is 4249268224 speedup is 22.75

Just my 2 cents...

Andrzej

Old 06-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Karanbir Singh

Hi,

On 06/01/2011 06:52 PM, Andrzej Szymański wrote:
> I don't know whether you use (and can use) the following hack to speed
> up rsyncing the iso files:
>
> - you need to have the full (or mostly complete) package tree on the target

We do some sanity tests that span the buildsys, the intermediary host
and the final rsync targets. So its important that the first set of
contents is sync'd out from the buildsys as-is. Perhaps extra caution,
but we have had problems in the past ( even with rsync saying two files
are identical when they were clearly not ).

On the other hand, the ISOS can be fairly easily re-created from the
tree, so if the rpms tree are is already in place that would be easier
than going down the tar route.

- KB