-   -   Test scripts - some starter questions. (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-development/520534-test-scripts-some-starter-questions.html)

Mister IT Guru 05-01-2011 12:06 AM

Test scripts - some starter questions.

On Sun, 2011-05-01 at 08:41 +1000, Steve Barnes wrote:
> Hi list
>
> A few questions regarding the scope of test scripts that have been requested:
>
> - is there a git repository or similar source that contains all of the currently available test scripts? It would be helpful to know that, given my copious spare time, I'm not re-inventing any
> wheels or contributing the 57th LAMP install script.
>
> - relating to package installation test scripts, would there be any appreciable benefit to simply throwing everything + kitchen sink at the wall and see what _doesn't_ stick? (i.e., yum install
> every single available package one after the other and record any failures?) This seems like a more...comprehensive method of uncovering package installation issues than me simply picking "my top 10
> favourite/most well known" yum packages.
>
> - is the scope for test scripts "anything you can think of that performs some kind of configuration change with a measurable return value" - e.g, tests that cover (for example) networking
> configuration, partition/filesystem creation, package installation, firewall configuration, user/group account creation/deletion/editing, SSH key generation etc etc etc?
>
> - at present, each test script needs to be self-contained. To reduce the amount of code duplication/maintenance is there any intention (or objection) to developing a library of helper functions?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Steve

+1

I look forward to some comprehensive discussion with regards to this! I
do like the kitchen sink idea - But not all packages can co exist, with
default setups, like MTA's and such - Just my 2pence

--
Mister IT Guru
Blog http://solosysad.blogspot.com/

Marian Marinov 05-01-2011 09:33 PM

On Sunday 01 May 2011 03:06:00 Mister IT Guru wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-05-01 at 08:41 +1000, Steve Barnes wrote:
> > Hi list
> >
> > A few questions regarding the scope of test scripts that have been
> > requested:
> >
> > - is there a git repository or similar source that contains all of the
> > currently available test scripts? It would be helpful to know that,
> > given my copious spare time, I'm not re-inventing any wheels or
> > contributing the 57th LAMP install script.
> >
> > - relating to package installation test scripts, would there be any
> > appreciable benefit to simply throwing everything + kitchen sink at the
> > wall and see what _doesn't_ stick? (i.e., yum install every single
> > available package one after the other and record any failures?) This
> > seems like a more...comprehensive method of uncovering package
> > installation issues than me simply picking "my top 10 favourite/most
> > well known" yum packages.
> >
> > - is the scope for test scripts "anything you can think of that performs
> > some kind of configuration change with a measurable return value" - e.g,
> > tests that cover (for example) networking configuration,
> > partition/filesystem creation, package installation, firewall
> > configuration, user/group account creation/deletion/editing, SSH key
> > generation etc etc etc?
> >
> > - at present, each test script needs to be self-contained. To reduce the
> > amount of code duplication/maintenance is there any intention (or
> > objection) to developing a library of helper functions?
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > Steve
>
> +1
>
> I look forward to some comprehensive discussion with regards to this! I
> do like the kitchen sink idea - But not all packages can co exist, with
> default setups, like MTA's and such - Just my 2pence

Karanbir have one repository with kickstart files:

https://nazar.karan.org/cgit/bluecain/tree/README

--
Best regards,
Marian Marinov

Karanbir Singh 05-04-2011 01:55 PM

Test scripts - some starter questions.

Hi Steve,

On 04/30/2011 11:41 PM, Steve Barnes wrote:
> - is there a git repository or similar source that contains all of the currently available test scripts? It would be helpful to know that, given my copious spare time, I'm not re-inventing any
> wheels or contributing the 57th LAMP install script.

Not at the moment, but lets try and get something setup in the next few
days. The setup we have at the moment does some of the provisioning,
setup and then the tests. We need to isolate the tests from that git
repo and setup something new, publicly visible. Should happen real soon.

> - relating to package installation test scripts, would there be any appreciable benefit to simply throwing everything + kitchen sink at the wall and see what _doesn't_ stick? (i.e., yum install
> every single available package one after the other and record any failures?) This seems like a more...comprehensive method of uncovering package installation issues than me simply picking "my top 10
> favourite/most well known" yum packages.

That depends on what you are trying to achieve. Not every packages needs
to be installable at the same time as everything else.

> - is the scope for test scripts "anything you can think of that performs some kind of configuration change with a measurable return value" - e.g, tests that cover (for example) networking
> configuration, partition/filesystem creation, package installation, firewall configuration, user/group account creation/deletion/editing, SSH key generation etc etc etc?

sure. Go for it.

> - at present, each test script needs to be self-contained. To reduce the amount of code duplication/maintenance is there any intention (or objection) to developing a library of helper functions?

there is a common set of lib + functions that can be used to make life
easier, we then just need to make sure its well documented and
maintained. At the moment they all go into <root dir>/functions/ and are
'sourced' before the tests are copied / moved / run. Which also makes
them very bash specific.

- KB