Old 04-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Karanbir Singh

Default what / how could test reports be published

hi,

at the moment all test are run by hand, and people look at the output on
the cli. Lets change that. Fabian and I did some work during Fosdem this
year to get an automation script in place.

This script does :
1) setup some disk space
2) run virt-install with a specific kickstart
3) waits for machine to come back post install boot
4) gets the test scripts onto the machine
5) run each one and track progress.
6) tear down the machine instance.

Now the question is : apart from test output, what else would be
relevant to track? Here is my list:

- install time logs
- syscleanup[1] output from before tests are run and after
- 'rpm -qa' output

What else would be relevant here ?

Second part of the issue : What format would everyone like to see these
things in ?

a) a simple webapp in sinatra.rb or bottle.py ?

b) as long as all output is in text, we could shovel test runs into a
git repo ( keep in mind that we can end up generating gigs of data per
day ).

c) something else ?

- KB

[1]:
https://gitorious.org/syscleanup/syscleanup/blobs/master/syscleanup.sh (
I'll pull this into the git repo for QA Testing, so stuff is all in the
same place ).

Old 04-06-2011, 10:24 AM
"Vijay N. Majagaonkar"

Hi all,
Add some script to look at "storage*management",*
For auto scripts python, vit-lib with*pexpect tools will be easy to play

V!jay

Old 04-06-2011, 10:30 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 04/06/2011 11:24 AM, Vijay N. Majagaonkar wrote:
> Add some script to look at "storage management",
>
> For auto scripts python, vit-lib with pexpect tools will be easy to play

could you please :

1) not top post

2) make your comments inline with relevant quotes to retain sanity

3) comments like 'add script to get rich quick' is not helpful. What is
more productive is : here is a script, it does 'blah' and its good to
have because 'foo'.

- KB

Old 04-06-2011, 10:40 AM
"Vijay N. Majagaonkar"

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 4:00 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

On 04/06/2011 11:24 AM, Vijay N. Majagaonkar wrote:

> Add some script to look at "storage management",

> For auto scripts python, vit-lib with pexpect tools will be easy to play

could you please :
*
1) not top post

OK*
2) make your comments inline with relevant quotes to retain sanity

My bad*
3) comments like 'add script to get rich quick' is not helpful. What is

more productive is : here is a script, it does 'blah' and its good to

have because 'foo'.

I will love to*contribute*script, only problem is that I am completely new to this world I am not sure what is correct way to go.( I can take part of installing on VM (KVM) running test case and parsing output) *

V!jay

Old 04-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Thomas Bendler

Hi Karanbir,

in principle a good idea, should be (from my point of view) extended to something like BFO (http://boot.fedoraproject.org/) to make it possible to install on physical machines as well. So something like USB boot stick which get standard configurations based on kickstart files, do the installation, report back to console and central QA server and do the next install on the list (the only question is how to make previous runs persistent so installations won't be done twice until QA system request a second install because of a failure).

[...]

What else would be relevant here ?

- lshw
- dmesg
- maybe bootchart

*

[...]

b) as long as all output is in text, we could shovel test runs into a

git repo ( keep in mind that we can end up generating gigs of data per

day ).

GIT is a good idea but you need a wrapper around that check successful runs and shorten this one to profile xyz on hardware abc has no problem.
*

c) something else ?

See above, an USB stick for real hardware and an ISO for virtual hardware will probably work best.

Regards, Thomas