Old 04-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Sergio Belkin

Default submit a RPM

Hi,

I've read at Centos Wiki that "ts not possible to contribute a package
into the CentOS Mirrors at this time. The entire process and policy
around this matter is under review."

I'd like to submit a RPM package to CentOS, is that impossible still?

Thanks in advance!

Sergio Belkin *http://www.sergiobelkin.com
Watch More TV http://sebelk.blogspot.com
LPIC-2 Certified - http://www.lpi.org

Old 04-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Itamar Reis Peixoto

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Sergio Belkin <sebelk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've read at Centos Wiki that "ts not possible to contribute a package
> into the CentOS Mirrors at this time. The entire process and policy
> around this matter is under review."
>
> I'd like to submit a RPM package to CentOS, is that impossible still?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> --

submit it to fedora-epel

--
------------

Itamar Reis Peixoto
msn, google talk: itamar@ispbrasil.com.br
+55 11 4063 5033 (FIXO SP)
+55 34 9158 9329 (TIM)
+55 34 8806 3989 (OI)
+55 34 3221 8599 (FIXO MG)

Old 04-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Jeff Sheltren

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 6:58 AM, Sergio Belkin <sebelk@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to submit a RPM package to CentOS, is that impossible still?

Which package is it? There are some "external" people contributing
packages to centos-[extras/plus] as I understand it, but there is not
a good process for acceptance. Many people instead choose to
contribute to EPEL (disclaimer, I am one of them) -- for better or for
worse, but it might be something that makes more sense in your case.

-Jeff

Old 04-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Marian Marinov

On Tuesday 05 April 2011 16:58:01 Sergio Belkin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've read at Centos Wiki that "ts not possible to contribute a package
> into the CentOS Mirrors at this time. The entire process and policy
> around this matter is under review."
>
> I'd like to submit a RPM package to CentOS, is that impossible still?
>
> Thanks in advance!

You can always create your own repository and include it on your servers.

Regards,
Marian

Old 04-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Itamar Reis Peixoto

> You can always create your own repository and include it on your servers.
>
> Regards,
> Marian

don't do this.

contribute to fedora-epel, other people can use your packages and help
testing / maintaining it.

------------

Old 04-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Jeff Sheltren

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 7:21 AM, Itamar Reis Peixoto
<itamar@ispbrasil.com.br> wrote:

>> You can always create your own repository and include it on your servers.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Marian
>
> don't do this.
>
> contribute to fedora-epel, other people can use your packages and help
> testing / maintaining it.

In the case where you are over-writing/updating a core (or popular)
package, then creating your own repository can make sense. If you are
adding a new package which isn't already in CentOS or one of the
popular 3rd party repos, then contributing it to an existing repo is
usually better.

-Jeff

Old 04-05-2011, 02:33 PM
"Chris Cowley"

I may be wrong, but I am pretty certain Fedora want you to host it in
your own repo during the QA stages for EPEL.

> You can always create your own repository and include it on your
servers.

> Regards,
> Marian

don't do this.

contribute to fedora-epel, other people can use your packages and help
testing / maintaining it.

------------

Itamar Reis Peixoto
msn, google talk: itamar@ispbrasil.com.br
+55 11 4063 5033 (FIXO SP)
+55 34 9158 9329 (TIM)
+55 34 8806 3989 (OI)
+55 34 3221 8599 (FIXO MG)

Visit Snell at NAB 2011 Booth N1820 http://www.snellgroup.com/campaign/nab2011

This email and any attachments are confidential, may be legally privileged and are intended for the use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any use, disclosure, printing or copying of this email is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If received in error, please delete this email and any attachments and confirm this to the sender.

Snell Limited, registered number 1160119
Registered in England, registered office at Hartman House, Danehill, Lower Earley, Reading, Berkshire RG6 4PB

Old 04-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 04/05/2011 02:58 PM, Sergio Belkin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've read at Centos Wiki that "ts not possible to contribute a package
> into the CentOS Mirrors at this time. The entire process and policy
> around this matter is under review."
>
> I'd like to submit a RPM package to CentOS, is that impossible still?
>
> Thanks in advance!

The process is still under review really, and ideally we would only want
to accept packages from people where they are a part of ( or have commit
access ) to the upstream for the code.

Aim being to involve stakeholders in both direction rather than create a
packagers cloud.

- KB

Old 04-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Matej Cepl

Dne 5.4.2011 16:33, Chris Cowley napsal(a):
> I may be wrong, but I am pretty certain Fedora want you to host it in
> your own repo during the QA stages for EPEL.

You are wrong http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/beta/6/

Matěj

Old 04-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Sergio Belkin

2011/4/5 Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org>:
> On 04/05/2011 02:58 PM, Sergio Belkin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've read at Centos Wiki that "ts not possible to contribute a package
>> into the CentOS Mirrors at this time. The entire process and policy
>> around this matter is under review."
>>
>> I'd like to submit a RPM package to CentOS, is that impossible still?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>

> The process is still under review really, and ideally we would only want
> to accept packages from people where they are a part of ( or have commit
> access ) to the upstream for the code.
>
> Aim being to involve stakeholders in both direction rather than create a
> packagers cloud.
>
> - KB

If I undertand well, package it must be in upstream ie RH to be
included in the official repo distro, mustn't it?

Greets.