Old 04-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Alan Bartlett

Default Brief status update, please?

On 4 April 2011 13:40, Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org> wrote:

> I checked the web forum in case there was something new there, and there
> doesn't appear to be. It's been a couple of weeks without news. Thanks.

Matthew,

Please tell me that I am not in a time warp or falling into a black hole.

How does my last posting [1] (dated 2011/3/31) fit into your assertion
of "a couple of weeks without news"?

Regards,
Alan.

[1] https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=29685&forum=53

Old 04-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Matthew Miller

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 01:48:50PM +0100, Alan Bartlett wrote:
> > I checked the web forum in case there was something new there, and there
> > doesn't appear to be. It's been a couple of weeks without news. Thanks.
> Please tell me that I am not in a time warp or falling into a black hole.

I'm sorry, I didn't see that one. The formatting on the forum is a bit
confusing to me, as the "Posted on" dates for the _previous_ posts are in
the same white block as the titles for the next one.

> How does my last posting [1] (dated 2011/3/31) fit into your assertion
> of "a couple of weeks without news"?

Well, it certainly has been a couple of weeks without news here on the
CentOS developers' mailing list. It would be really helpful if you could
make short updates here as well.

I also don't see anything new on CentOS 6.

--
Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org <http://mattdm.org/>

Old 04-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Olaf Mueller

Matthew Miller wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 01:48:50PM +0100, Alan Bartlett wrote:
>> How does my last posting [1] (dated 2011/3/31) fit into your
>> assertion of "a couple of weeks without news"?
> [...] It would be really helpful if you
> could make short updates here as well.
+1

regards
Olaf

Old 04-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Karanbir Singh

Hi,

On 04/04/2011 01:40 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> I checked the web forum in case there was something new there, and there
> doesn't appear to be. It's been a couple of weeks without news. Thanks.

External mirrors should start seeing the 5.6 tree about now, along with
updates etc. I hope to have torrents up later today and perhaps release
announcement from there. We have cleaned up the msync stuff quite a bit
since 5.4 days, so hopefully we can repeat the 5.5 release process where
we got external mirrors sync'd in under 24 hrs.

On the other hand, we have had over 200 new mirrors since 5.5 release!
So lets see how that pans out.

re: 6, I'm still saying 2 - 3 weeks from 5.6 Announcement. In more
tangible terms : short of 60 pkgs, 6.0 is all done. But keep in mind
this is the distro 'tree', much fun to be had after that with anaconda,
mirror setups, yum policies etc. ( so if anyone has kickstarts, test
scripts : specially for acceptance and integration; do share ).

- KB

Old 04-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Alan Bartlett

On 4 April 2011 14:05, Olaf Mueller <daily-planet@istari.de> wrote:
> Matthew Miller wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 01:48:50PM +0100, Alan Bartlett wrote:

>>> How does my last posting [1] (dated 2011/3/31) fit into your
>>> assertion of "a couple of weeks without news"?

>> [...] It would be really helpful if you
>> could make short updates here as well.

> +1

O.k. folks.

Please note that this m/l is for discussions regarding the development
of products released by the CentOS Project or the development of the
CentOS Project itself. It is not designed as a means of "talking" to
CentOS developers about "this", "that" or "the other". The main
mailing list [2] is the correct location for such I/O. Announcements
are made on the CentOS-Announce [3] mailing list.

That said, I will reproduce the quotation just posted to the forum
thread relating to the CentOS 5.6 release status [4,1]:

Quote:
5.6 is going out to the external mirrors at the moment, I am going to have
torrents ready for later today and then maybe release announcement sometime
tomorrow.
Regards,
Alan.

[4] https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=29685&start=0#forumpost1301 84

Old 04-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Matthew Miller

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 02:29:06PM +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> External mirrors should start seeing the 5.6 tree about now, along with
> updates etc. I hope to have torrents up later today and perhaps release
> announcement from there. We have cleaned up the msync stuff quite a bit
> since 5.4 days, so hopefully we can repeat the 5.5 release process where
> we got external mirrors sync'd in under 24 hrs.
> On the other hand, we have had over 200 new mirrors since 5.5 release!
> So lets see how that pans out.

Thanks. I'll be looking for it.

> re: 6, I'm still saying 2 - 3 weeks from 5.6 Announcement. In more
> tangible terms : short of 60 pkgs, 6.0 is all done. But keep in mind
> this is the distro 'tree', much fun to be had after that with anaconda,
> mirror setups, yum policies etc. ( so if anyone has kickstarts, test
> scripts : specially for acceptance and integration; do share ).

Are plans in place for 6.1?

--
Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org <http://mattdm.org/>

Old 04-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Matthew Miller

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 02:35:19PM +0100, Alan Bartlett wrote:
> Please note that this m/l is for discussions regarding the development
> of products released by the CentOS Project or the development of the
> CentOS Project itself. It is not designed as a means of "talking" to
> CentOS developers about "this", "that" or "the other".

I'm confused by this message. Are you suggesting that CentOS 5.6 and CentOS
6 are not products of the CentOS project?

--
Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org <http://mattdm.org/>

Old 04-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Alan Bartlett

On 4 April 2011 14:57, Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 02:35:19PM +0100, Alan Bartlett wrote:

>> Please note that this m/l is for discussions regarding the development
>> of products released by the CentOS Project or the development of the
>> CentOS Project itself. It is not designed as a means of "talking" to
>> CentOS developers about "this", "that" or "the other".

> I'm confused by this message. Are you suggesting that CentOS 5.6 and CentOS
> 6 are not products of the CentOS project?

Sorry Matthew,

In a general attempt to clarify the purpose of this mailing list, I
have then caused your confusion. Please regard my clarification as to
the list readers as a whole and not to yourself nor you query,
specifically. ;-)

Alan.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Alex/AT

B.S. Have no relation (alas) to the CentOS team, except that I am proud
CentOS user as well as probably you xD

> Are plans in place for 6.1?
Most probably, it's not even considered now, taking 6.0 release pending
into account. After 6.0 is ready (and it will take the great CentOS team a
bit of time) they maybe will attend to the 6.1 challenge along with the
updates for 5 series, 5.6 and 6.0.

IMO (and just IMO), it was bad idea to process both 5.6 and 6.0 at the
same time. It got worse on the release time, and got terrible delay. Doing
two independent things at once is really bad thing therefore.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Matthew Miller

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 03:03:35PM +0100, Alan Bartlett wrote:
> In a general attempt to clarify the purpose of this mailing list, I
> have then caused your confusion. Please regard my clarification as to
> the list readers as a whole and not to yourself nor you query,
> specifically. ;-)

Okay, whew. I agree that the list could certainly _use_ that clarification
recently.

--
Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org <http://mattdm.org/>