Old 04-01-2011, 02:50 PM
"Kumar, Ranjan"

Default Cent OS 5.5 Clustering and Support

Hi,

*

We are a Channel product team
within LSI and we are trying to add Cent OS 5.5 to our compatibility Matrix. We
found out that LSI currently has a relationship with CentOS for another project
on the Internal Storage division but not with the OS Certification team. We
require some information on CentOS which will help us plan the deliverables.
And considering the timelines we need to deliver at it will be great if someone
from CentOS can help us out in this regard. If anybody else also can answer
these in the mailing list, we would be grateful. The questions that we have are
as follows:-

*

*

1)*****
Cluster Support :

·********
Does CentOS 5.5
provides native cluster support ?

·********
Is there any cluster
suite available for CentOS 5.5 ?

·********
Can we use the cluster
suite in CentOS 4 for 5.5.

2)*****
Does CentOS have any
self Certification tool which allows OEMs/Vendors to qualify the OS and post it
in their compatibility matrix?

*

One we start our qualification, we
might need some help in resolving issues/defects on CentOS. Can we open a
channel or Point of contact who will be able to help us out with such issues.

*

I would also request to forward
this email to the right forum if the mailing list we are sending to is not the
appropriate one.

*

Thanks and Regards.

Kumar Ranjan

LSI Technologies.

*

Old 04-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Charlie Brady

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, Kumar, Ranjan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are a Channel product team within LSI and we are trying to add Cent
> OS 5.5 to our compatibility Matrix. We found out that LSI currently has
> a relationship with CentOS for another project on the Internal Storage
> division but not with the OS Certification team. We require some
> information on CentOS which will help us plan the deliverables. And
> considering the timelines we need to deliver at it will be great if
> someone from CentOS can help us out in this regard. If anybody else also
> can answer these in the mailing list, we would be grateful. The
> questions that we have are as follows:-
>

> 1) Cluster Support :
>
> * Does CentOS 5.5 provides native cluster support ?

It's obvious that your research hasn't told you anything about what CentOS
is. Via google, and via the website http://www.centos.org/, you can learn
that CentOS 5.5 is technically the same as Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.5.
It is the same source code, but compiled by different people, except where
branding changes are required, where the source code will be changed to
change branding information only.

CentOS 5.5 has the same native cluster support as Red Hat Enterprise Linux
5.5 does.

> * Is there any cluster suite available for CentOS 5.5 ?

Yes, the Red Hat Cluster Suite is included with CentOS 5.5.

> * Can we use the cluster suite in CentOS 4 for 5.5.

No.

> 2) Does CentOS have any self Certification tool which allows
> OEMs/Vendors to qualify the OS and post it in their compatibility
> matrix?

Not as far as I know, but you should do your own research on this, rather
than ask us to do it for you.

> One we start our qualification, we might need some help in resolving
> issues/defects on CentOS. Can we open a channel or Point of contact who
> will be able to help us out with such issues.

CentOS support and engineering channels are described on the CentOS
website. But in general CentOS does does not make any technical change in
the kernel or clustering software - it is bug for bug compatible with the
software produced by Red Hat.

> I would also request to forward this email to the right forum if the
> mailing list we are sending to is not the appropriate one.

No mailing list will do this for you. You need to do your own homework.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:46 PM
"Baird, Josh"

What a typical response (on this mailing list). The arrogant and
pompous undertones of your email are ridiculous. Heaven forbid a vendor
actually try to work with the project to achieve support and
compatibility standards.

Josh

Old 04-04-2011, 12:50 PM
jean-seb

+1

Old 04-04-2011, 01:09 PM
James Hogarth

On 4 April 2011 13:46, Baird, Josh <jbaird@follett.com> wrote:
> What a typical response (on this mailing list). *The arrogant and
> pompous undertones of your email are ridiculous. *Heaven forbid a vendor
> actually try to work with the project to achieve support and
> compatibility standards.
>
> Josh

Don't be foolish with over the top statements....

It takes a trivial bit of time and research to understand the CentOS
project guideline of binary compatibility to the Upstream Vendor.

To any technical enough to have such a discussion it should be
immediately apparent that 'working with CentOS to deal with bugs for
drivers etc' is a pretty pointless statement... and the correct effort
is upstream with Redhat.

Should LSI spend the time with Redhat - as they should already be
doing quite frankly if they want to be relevant in the linux world -
then it assists CentOS automatically.

To be asked to be forwarded to the appropriate forum with zero
apparent research in insulting on their part.

The redirection requested was given - and now it is up to LSI to work
with Redhat for anything they want certified.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Karanbir Singh

Hi Kumar

On 04/01/2011 03:50 PM, Kumar, Ranjan wrote:
> We are a Channel product team within LSI and we are trying to add Cent
> OS 5.5 to our compatibility Matrix. We found out that LSI currently has
> a relationship with CentOS for another project on the Internal Storage
> division but not with the OS Certification team. We require some
> information on CentOS which will help us plan the deliverables. And
> considering the timelines we need to deliver at it will be great if
> someone from CentOS can help us out in this regard. If anybody else also
> can answer these in the mailing list, we would be grateful. The
> questions that we have are as follows:-

I am fairly sure that the CentOS Project does not have any relationship
with LSI on any front ( internal storage or otherwise ). We have always
encouraged vendors to speak with upstream ( Red Hat ) for things of this
nature. However, being a non vendor driven project, there are still some
options that you might be able to follow. The most promising one of
which is self endorsement.

> 1)Cluster Support :
> ·Does CentOS 5.5 provides native cluster support ?

That would depend on what you imply by 'support'. Code components and
resources needed to build something of this nature are included into the
distribution.

> 2)Does CentOS have any self Certification tool which allows OEMs/Vendors
> to qualify the OS and post it in their compatibility matrix?

No. On the other hand, we prefer that vendors do both:

1) Approach upstream for such certifications / testing etc

2) Self endorse CentOS from their perspective with their own toolchains
( which, in your case would be LSI endorsing CentOS as a supported
platform ). If there is a reasonable need to do so, we could potentially
host a resource that allows third party vendors to document their
certification / endorsement; but at the moment there is nothing of that
nature on .centos.org

> One we start our qualification, we might need some help in resolving
> issues/defects on CentOS. Can we open a channel or Point of contact who
> will be able to help us out with such issues.

http://bugs.centos.org/ is the best place to track something of this nature.

Its possible that these things might change in the future, but at the
moment this represents the state of play.

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax

Old 04-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Brian Mathis

On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Charlie Brady
<charlieb-centos-devel@budge.apana.org.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, Kumar, Ranjan wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are a Channel product team within LSI and we are trying to add Cent
>> OS 5.5 to our compatibility Matrix. We found out that LSI currently has
>> a relationship with CentOS for another project on the Internal Storage
>> division but not with the OS Certification team. We require some
>> information on CentOS which will help us plan the deliverables. And
>> considering the timelines we need to deliver at it will be great if
>> someone from CentOS can help us out in this regard. If anybody else also
>> can answer these in the mailing list, we would be grateful. The
>> questions that we have are as follows:-
>>
>> 1) * * *Cluster Support :
>> * * * * * Does CentOS 5.5 provides native cluster support ?
>
> It's obvious that your research hasn't told you anything about what CentOS
> is. Via google, and via the website http://www.centos.org/, you can learn
> that CentOS 5.5 is technically the same as Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.5.
> It is the same source code, but compiled by different people, except where
> branding changes are required, where the source code will be changed to
> change branding information only.
>
> CentOS 5.5 has the same native cluster support as Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> 5.5 does.
>
>> * * * * * Is there any cluster suite available for CentOS 5.5 ?
>
> Yes, the Red Hat Cluster Suite is included with CentOS 5.5.
>
>> * * * * * Can we use the cluster suite in CentOS 4 for 5.5.
>
> No.
>
>> 2) * * *Does CentOS have any self Certification tool which allows
>> * *OEMs/Vendors to qualify the OS and post it in their compatibility
>> * *matrix?
>
> Not as far as I know, but you should do your own research on this, rather
> than ask us to do it for you.
>
>> One we start our qualification, we might need some help in resolving
>> issues/defects on CentOS. Can we open a channel or Point of contact who
>> will be able to help us out with such issues.
>
> CentOS support and engineering channels are described on the CentOS
> website. But in general CentOS does does not make any technical change in
> the kernel or clustering software - it is bug for bug compatible with the
> software produced by Red Hat.
>
>> I would also request to forward this email to the right forum if the
>> mailing list we are sending to is not the appropriate one.
>
> No mailing list will do this for you. You need to do your own homework.
>
>> Thanks and Regards.
>> Kumar Ranjan
>> LSI Technologies.

This response is completely unacceptable. It takes no additional, and
actually less, effort to say:

Thanks for your interest but you will have better luck dealing with
Redhat directly. This project repackages their software, so if you
work with them, any issues you help fix will automatically be
applied to CentOS. 2 birds with 1 stone, eh? Pretty nice!

If you can't figure out how to say something in a constructive way,
don't say it. Allow others who can, handle it.

// Brian Mathis

Old 04-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Brian Mathis

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 9:09 AM, James Hogarth <james.hogarth@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 April 2011 13:46, Baird, Josh <jbaird@follett.com> wrote:
>> What a typical response (on this mailing list). *The arrogant and
>> pompous undertones of your email are ridiculous. *Heaven forbid a vendor
>> actually try to work with the project to achieve support and
>> compatibility standards.
>>
>> Josh
>
> Don't be foolish with over the top statements....
>
> It takes a trivial bit of time and research to understand the CentOS
> project guideline of binary compatibility to the Upstream Vendor.
>
> To any technical enough to have such a discussion it should be
> immediately apparent that 'working with CentOS to deal with bugs for
> drivers etc' is a pretty pointless statement... and the correct effort
> is upstream with Redhat.
>
> Should LSI spend the time with Redhat - as they should already be
> doing quite frankly if they want to be relevant in the linux world -
> then it assists CentOS automatically.
>
> To be asked to be forwarded to the appropriate forum with zero
> apparent research in insulting on their part.
>
> The redirection requested was given - and now it is up to LSI to work
> with Redhat for anything they want certified.

This is far from a "foolish and over the top" statement. It doesn't
matter how you think this is logically OK. None of the points you
make, be they true or not, are relevant at all. The tone used in the
message is the problem, not the facts. If you can't figure out how to
talk to other human beings in a reasonable an respectful way, don't
say anything at all.

// Brian Mathis

P.S. This stuff *is* on topic because it specifically relates to how
the project is run, or at least perceived to be run as users like this
are continually allowed to treat others with derision and disrespect.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Brian Mathis

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Karanbir Singh <kbsingh@centos.org> wrote:
> Hi Kumar
>
> On 04/01/2011 03:50 PM, Kumar, Ranjan wrote:
>> We are a Channel product team within LSI and we are trying to add Cent
>> OS 5.5 to our compatibility Matrix. We found out that LSI currently has
>> a relationship with CentOS for another project on the Internal Storage
>> division but not with the OS Certification team. We require some
>> information on CentOS which will help us plan the deliverables. And
>> considering the timelines we need to deliver at it will be great if
>> someone from CentOS can help us out in this regard. If anybody else also
>> can answer these in the mailing list, we would be grateful. The
>> questions that we have are as follows:-
>
> I am fairly sure that the CentOS Project does not have any relationship
> with LSI on any front ( internal storage or otherwise ). We have always
> encouraged vendors to speak with upstream ( Red Hat ) for things of this
> nature. However, being a non vendor driven project, there are still some
> options that you might be able to follow. The most promising one of
> which is self endorsement.
>
>> 1)Cluster Support :
>> ·Does CentOS 5.5 provides native cluster support ?
>
> That would depend on what you imply by 'support'. Code components and
> resources needed to build something of this nature are included into the
> distribution.
>
>> 2)Does CentOS have any self Certification tool which allows OEMs/Vendors
>> to qualify the OS and post it in their compatibility matrix?
>
> No. On the other hand, we prefer that vendors do both:
>
> 1) Approach upstream for such certifications / testing etc
>
> 2) Self endorse CentOS from their perspective with their own toolchains
> ( which, in your case would be LSI endorsing CentOS as a supported
> platform ). If there is a reasonable need to do so, we could potentially
> host a resource that allows third party vendors to document their
> certification / endorsement; but at the moment there is nothing of that
> nature on .centos.org
>
>> One we start our qualification, we might need some help in resolving
>> issues/defects on CentOS. Can we open a channel or Point of contact who
>> will be able to help us out with such issues.
>
> http://bugs.centos.org/ is the best place to track something of this nature.
>
> Its possible that these things might change in the future, but at the
> moment this represents the state of play.
>
> --
> Karanbir Singh

KB: Thank you for being a beacon of hope and humanity in the project.
Given that you are probably the one under the most pressure, you were
still able to respond in a respectful way while providing guidance to
someone with great interest in the project.

Here's hoping others will follow your lead.

// Brian Mathis

Old 04-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Oscar Osta Pueyo

Hi,

> KB: Thank you for being a beacon of hope and humanity in the project.
> Given that you are probably the one under the most pressure, you were
> still able to respond in a respectful way while providing guidance to
> someone with great interest in the project.

+1

--
Oscar Osta Pueyo
oostap.listas@gmail.com