Old 03-29-2011, 09:50 AM
Marian Marinov

Default I want to help

Hello,
Just today I read in LWN( https://lwn.net/Articles/435744/ ) about the
problems with CentOS.

I want to offer hardware (build servers) and I also want to volunteer time for
cleaning up packages.

Is there a page giving some guidelines?
How can I start helping ?

I'm packaging my own software with RPM for more then an year now so I think I
have the required knowledge.

--
Best regards,
Marian Marinov

Old 03-29-2011, 10:03 AM
"John R. Dennison"

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 12:50:51PM +0300, Marian Marinov wrote:
> Just today I read in LWN( https://lwn.net/Articles/435744/ ) about the
> problems with CentOS.

Posting restricted content links that are available to paying
subscribers only is, shall we say, useless in the general case.

John

--
Only puny secrets need protection.
Big discoveries are protected by public incredulity.

-- Marshall McLuhan

Old 03-29-2011, 10:21 AM
Marian Marinov

I'm sorry, its a follow up from this story:
http://lwn.net/Articles/429364/

Here is the first part of the article( the one that made me ask if I can help):

There are rumors suggesting that the CentOS 5.6 release is imminent - though
that is something we have heard before. This release will certainly be welcome
to numerous CentOS users, but there can be no doubt that its tardiness - and,
in particular, the absence of CentOS 5 security updates caused by its delay -
has been a bit of a wakeup call for those users. If this much-used
distribution is to remain viable into the future, some important changes will
need to be made and those who depend on it will have to step up their support.

There will be no shortage of CentOS users who would like to get their hands on
the improvements and added hardware support to be found in the RHEL 5.6 and
6.0 releases. But the real problem is not delayed gratification; it is that
there have been no CentOS 5 security updates since January 6, and only one
since December 14, 2010. During this time, RHEL 5, on which CentOS 5 is based,
has seen updates for dbus, exim, firefox (twice), gcc, hplip, java-openjdk,
kernel (thrice), krb5, libtiff, libuser, mailman, openldap, pango, php,
postgresql, python, samba, subversion (twice), tomcat5, vsftpd, and wireshark
(twice). Since these updates are based on the 5.6 release, CentOS cannot
easily pass them on to its users until they, too, have a 5.6 base. Since that
base has been slow in coming, all those security updates have been blocked.

Some of these vulnerabilities are more severe than others, but there can be no
contesting the fact that every CentOS 5 system out there is currently running
with a significant set of known holes. That is not the sort of solidity and
support that CentOS users will have been hoping for. Many of those users will,
by now, be wondering whether CentOS is the right distribution to base their
systems on.

--
Best regards,
Marian Marinov

Old 03-29-2011, 01:10 PM
R P Herrold

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011, Marian Marinov wrote:

> Here is the first part of the article( the one that made me
> ask if I can help): ...

Now please read the thread 'polite request' from last Thursday
in the list's archive

Then please read the post 'how can we help' on the main
mailing list the day before

People who wander in after reading a month old article and do
not 'do the homework' of learning the culture of a project and
its history before posting are probably not going to be
particularly productive, and would represent a net expenditure
of effort to 'bring up to speed'. This is not the time for
such efforts, and as indicated by the first post mentioned,
not the venue, either

-- Russ herrold

Old 03-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Phil Schaffner

R P Herrold wrote on 03/29/2011 09:10 AM:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2011, Marian Marinov wrote:
>
>> Here is the first part of the article( the one that made me
>> ask if I can help): ...
>
> Now please read the thread 'polite request' from last Thursday
> in the list's archive
>
> Then please read the post 'how can we help' on the main
> mailing list the day before
>
> People who wander in after reading a month old article and do
> not 'do the homework' of learning the culture of a project and
> its history before posting are probably not going to be
> particularly productive, and would represent a net expenditure
> of effort to 'bring up to speed'. This is not the time for
> such efforts, and as indicated by the first post mentioned,
> not the venue, either

Russ,

I cannot understand why someone coming in with an offer of substantial
help, to provide both hardware and labor, should get this abusive
response. I understand that there is overhead to get someone up to
speed, but the current lateness of 5.6 and 6.0 seems to underscore the
need for more and better help. Some guidance about how to get involved
or even, "Yes we could use help, but are too busy right not to talk
about it." would be understandable. Telling a potential contributor in
essence - "Go away and don't bother us." defies logic and common courtesy.

If this is not the proper venue for volunteers wanting to help with
resources to be applied to DEVELOPMENT to come to, then what is? I see
no relevance of the "polite request" from Karanbir to this situation.
It was in apparently targeted at some participants in the wandering
thread "Why not a fusion between CentOS and SL?". This type of abusive
treatment of potential contributors is exactly what many users complain
about on other CentOS venues; the other major complaint being lack of
information, or misinformation, about timing of the release of critical
security updates, and to a lesser extent, new releases.

It seems apparent to me that CentOS is badly in need of some fresh blood
and new approaches to conducting business. If all comers are to be
turned away and there is no change in a positive direction, then perhaps
some of the doomsayers predicting the demise of CentOS are correct. I
sincerely hope that is not the case.

Phil

Old 03-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Marian Marinov

Ok, I'm sorry. I didn't know where to start.

Thank you for the pointers Russ. I already started reading. When I finish I'll
write again.

Sometimes its just faster to ask instead of losing a few days wondering.

Regards,
Marian Marinov

Old 03-29-2011, 02:54 PM
R P Herrold

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011, Phil Schaffner wrote:

> I cannot understand why someone coming in with an offer of substantial
> help, to provide both hardware and labor, should get this abusive
> response.

... and did the inquirant do any reading of posts less than a
week old in either venue? Is this list the place for
non-developmental matter discussions?

In each case, the answer remains no -- I won't be pulled off
topic here by your misreading of what I said

-- Russ herrold

Old 03-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Gilbert Sebenste

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011, R P Herrold wrote:

> ... and did the inquirant do any reading of posts less than a
> week old in either venue? Is this list the place for
> non-developmental matter discussions?

No, but you can certainly do it in a much kinder way
so as not to scare off people who wish to contribute
and become highly valued members.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:06 PM
William Warren

On 3/29/2011 9:10 AM, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2011, Marian Marinov wrote:
>
>> Here is the first part of the article( the one that made me
>> ask if I can help): ...
> Now please read the thread 'polite request' from last Thursday
> in the list's archive
>
> Then please read the post 'how can we help' on the main
> mailing list the day before
>
> People who wander in after reading a month old article and do
> not 'do the homework' of learning the culture of a project and
> its history before posting are probably not going to be
> particularly productive, and would represent a net expenditure
> of effort to 'bring up to speed'. This is not the time for
> such efforts, and as indicated by the first post mentioned,
> not the venue, either
>
> -- Russ herrold
Russ,

This type of abusive response is what turns folks away form not only
Centos but Linux in general. this individual is willing to donate time,
and hardware you hit him with main battle cannons? I think some
governance changes are needed from Centos if this is considered
acceptable behavior.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Phil Schaffner

R P Herrold wrote on 03/29/2011 10:54 AM:
> ... and did the inquirant do any reading of posts less than a
> week old in either venue?

That is a valid point, but still can be addressed without the negative
attitude.

> Is this list the place for non-developmental matter discussions?

It was an offer to help with development.

> In each case, the answer remains no -- I won't be pulled off
> topic here by your misreading of what I said

I fail to understand what I misinterpreted, but will not anticipate any
response enlightening me as to my shortcomings, as that would be still
further OT. :-)

My apologies to the list for my current diversions from centos-devel
subject matter, and I will not continue participation in this thread.

Phil