Old 04-01-2011, 06:35 AM
"Simon Matter"

Default I want to help

> On Thu, 31 Mar 2011, Scott Dowdle wrote:
>
>>> I don't know that if you have Red Hat support you can still access
>>> these releases, but they were quite useful to CentOS users as well.
>>
>> I don't know if it was what you were referring to or not... but yes,
>> supposedly with a RHN account, you have access to the individual patches
>> for the RHEL6 kernel... although I don't think they have a traditional
>> package as before.
>
> Scott,
>
> I am not interested in the individual patches, just the binary kernel RPM
> packages Red Hat used to make available in between releases. Call it their
> test or beta kernel releases working up to the next RHEL release. Often
> one or two releases every week.
>
> The RHEL5 link should make it clear what I mean.
>
> It gives a nice view on what to expect kernel-wise for the next release,
> but also provided a way to test and report any problems quickly.

That's true, I was using those kernels as a base for my own kernels with
some stuff added. I also reported some issues and solutions for those
kernels and they have been integrated and can be found in RHEL5.6/5.7. So,
that's really missing for EL6 and even with a RHN account I don't know how
I should be able to have access to kernels for EL6.

Simon

Old 04-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 03/29/2011 10:50 AM, Marian Marinov wrote:
> I want to offer hardware (build servers) and I also want to volunteer time for
> cleaning up packages.

Because this comes up again and again and again I just want to quantify
that buildservers are only helpful if you can ship them out to be
located next to or very near the existing setup. Unless the resource
itself can be assured to / with the same level of trust as the existing
platform, the chances of that resource getting used are very slim.

Consider this: would you run packages that were built on $random site,
with little or zero assurance of what, why and who has access to the
machines ? I wont

Welcome to some of the strange and wonderful issues that are needed to
be dealt with on a regular basis in .centos.org

- KB

Old 04-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Brian Mathis

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> On 03/29/2011 10:50 AM, Marian Marinov wrote:
>> I want to offer hardware (build servers) and I also want to volunteer time for
>> cleaning up packages.
>
> Because this comes up again and again and again I just want to quantify
> that buildservers are only helpful if you can ship them out to be
> located next to or very near the existing setup. Unless the resource
> itself can be assured to / with the same level of trust as the existing
> platform, the chances of that resource getting used are very slim.
>
> Consider this: would you run packages that were built on $random site,
> with little or zero assurance of what, why and who has access to the
> machines ? I wont
>
> Welcome to some of the strange and wonderful issues that are needed to
> be dealt with on a regular basis in .centos.org
>
> - KB

I would certainly want the final builds done on an "official" build
server, but there's no reason there can't be "extended" build servers
that contributors could use to test build packages to find problems.
Once problems are found, patches could be generated and then vetted,
applied, and built on the official trusted servers.

// Brian Mathis

Old 04-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 04/04/2011 06:46 PM, Brian Mathis wrote:
>> Consider this: would you run packages that were built on $random site,
>> with little or zero assurance of what, why and who has access to the
>> machines ? I wont
> I would certainly want the final builds done on an "official" build
> server, but there's no reason there can't be "extended" build servers
> that contributors could use to test build packages to find problems.
> Once problems are found, patches could be generated and then vetted,
> applied, and built on the official trusted servers.

given that plenty of mirrors already carry the stuff that peculates down
from upstream, there should be no real issue for people to setup mock
build environs and be doing private builds themselves anyway.

- KB

Old 04-05-2011, 05:17 PM
Tom Sorensen

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 5:41 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> On 04/04/2011 06:46 PM, Brian Mathis wrote:
>>> Consider this: would you run packages that were built on $random site,
>>> with little or zero assurance of what, why and who has access to the
>>> machines ? I wont
>> I would certainly want the final builds done on an "official" build
>> server, but there's no reason there can't be "extended" build servers
>> that contributors could use to test build packages to find problems.
>> Once problems are found, patches could be generated and then vetted,
>> applied, and built on the official trusted servers.
>
> given that plenty of mirrors already carry the stuff that peculates down
> from upstream, there should be no real issue for people to setup mock
> build environs and be doing private builds themselves anyway.

And while I'd still like to see some more clarity in the build process
(such as, what packages are failing), after my earlier rant I did
discover that the build process is reasonably well documented:

http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General/RebuildReleaseProcess

So I suspect that if you wanted to help identify build problems, go
down that path.

Tom Sorensen