Old 03-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Phil Schaffner

Default QA effort

Dennis Gerasimov wrote on 03/28/2011 08:14 AM:
> Phil,
> I actually tried doing that a week or so ago, but let me try again:

This was Jonas Larson's thread, but same probably applies to everyone
right now. The core team and QA are all pretty busy with 5.6 and 6.0,
so probably no new help will be solicited or accepted in the short
term. I believe some additional help could be used on QA and in other
areas, but as not-a-core-team-member that is solely my $0.02.Phil

Old 03-30-2011, 06:08 AM
Jonas Larson

Hi Phil,

On 03/28/2011 08:02 AM, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> A good start would be a brief introduction with a description of your
> background and capabilities, and a statement of how you would like to
> contribute to CentOS. For QA testing - what platforms, applications, etc.

I'm a system administrator/consultant working with linux and unix (well mostly linux these days :-) ). I have been working with linux since '99 and has worked with red hat ever since. I first installed redhat 5.2 and was hooked! Those days I only worked with HP-UX and linux was a step forward, to say the least.

Over the years I have worked with red hat a lot, building custom CD's, auto-installing with PXE, kickstart, performance tuning applications and so on. I have done some programming (C and python) but don't consider myself a programmer.

I have access to our lab with the x86_64 plattform. On the application side I'm not sure what is needed, I am open to suggestions! My main interest is in contributing and trying to keep centos as current as possible.

Let me know if you need something more specific!

Cheers,

Jonas

Old 04-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 03/28/2011 01:14 PM, Dennis Gerasimov wrote:
> I would like to help Centos with the release process any way I can, and
> willing to do anything that is needed to speed up the release: qa, bug
> reviews, anything.

Adopt a part of the distro ( even if its a small part ) and write tests
( in bash/ruby/python/perl ).

Make it relevant to what you are doing these days == motivation for free!

- KB

Old 04-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 04/04/2011 06:46 PM, Dennis Gerasimov wrote:
> Thank you, I think I know just the part I want to tackle: the cluster
> suite: cman, clvm and rgmanager (excluding gfs* for now).
> Where do we keep the tests? Are there examples of tests for other
> packages that I can look at?

http://www.karan.org/blog/index.php/2010/03/30/autmated-install-testing-for-centos
has something to start with, its very basic, but its something. There
have been a few posts about that here on the list as well. But I'll give
you enough to get started with :

The tests themselves can be of two types :

a) installer based ( where one would write a kickstart, that sets up the
machine does its tests or sets up the tests in %post ). Kickstarts are
well, kickstarts. Look here for some examples if you need to :
https://nazar.karan.org/cgit/bluecain/tree/

b) post-install scripts. These are the ones where one would do
functional tests. Each of these tests is a single script which must - at
this time - be self contained. And the only real concern for the testing
system is what the exit code was ( 0 = pass, 1 = fail ). They can be
written in any language you like. Here is a very simple example:

------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
echo -n 'Test that all updates can be applied to this machine cleanly'
yum -d0 -y upgrade > /dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
echo ': PASS'
else
echo ': Fail'
exit 1
fi
------------------------------------

here is another which does something similar :
------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
echo -n 'Test that all 32 rpms can be removed'
# only run this test on x86_64 machines!
is64=$(uname -m|grep x86_64)
if [ "$?" -ne '0' ]; then
echo ' Skip'
exit 1
fi
yum -d0 -y erase *.i?86 > /dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
echo ' PASS'
else
echo ' Fail'
exit 1
fi

# note, this does not imply the machine is still usable after
# the remove! need to test that independently

------------------------------------

Things that you *do* need to be concerned about :

- kickstarts should make no assumptions about storage ( since we run
them on xen and kvm hosts ). If you need specific names and labels, use lvm.

- Getting the tests into the machine post install is not something you
need to worry about, thats done by the test harness.

- ideally, tests will be in filenames that reflect the package or the
nature of the test they are hoping to work against. eg:
yum_CanBlindUpgrade.sh and yum_CanRemove32bit.sh

- if you are not writing a kickstart to cover the scope of tests, then
you need to assume packages being tested are not installed. eg. php
tests should start with a 'yum -d0 install php'

- test real functionality first, then work your way down if you want to.
Eg:

------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
echo -n 'Test to see if dns works'
echo 'nameserver 8.8.8.8' > /etc/resolv.conf
# its important we dont hit a dns record with a wildcard like centos.org
ping -c 1 www.google.com > /dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
echo ' PASS'
else
echo ' Fail'
exit 1
fi

# implied results:
# - network works
# - default route is really honoured
# - atleast one network link on the machine is working
# - ipv4 is functional

So in this case, its testing if DNS is functional ( something a user
would care about ) and you get some free test wins ( network works,
route etc ).

Questions ? ask away. Maybe a few people can get together and even start
working on a set of wiki pages for this stuff!

The tests are all inside a git repo, but for the first few that you
write - how about posting them here to the list and we can take it from
there.

- KB