Old 03-20-2011, 11:26 PM
Dennis Gerasimov

Default Building help

I'd like to chime in. What can SA with 17 years of Linux work do to help
the project?
I'd be willing to build, QA, do bug triage, whatever helps. Need a bit
of direction to get started, and a sense of what is the biggest need at
the moment to get 5.6 going?

Dennis Gerasimov

Old 03-20-2011, 11:48 PM
Nico Kadel-Garcia

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 7:12 PM, Jason Pyeron <jpyeron@pdinc.us> wrote:
> We would like to help, I have many questions as to how we can help, but I will
> start with our agenda.
>
> For 4 and 5 (and soon 6)
>
> java
> apache
> tomcat
> php
> bind
> dhcp
> subversion
> And their dependencies.

[ I'm not one of the CentOS core maintainers, just an admin who's
worked with all of these. ]

None of those are going to move ahead of "the upstream vendors"
releases in the primary CentOS codeline, we can be sure. For Java, I'd
pursue OpenJDK and testing the latest RedHat available SRPM's for
that, and avoid the other packages. (Oracle and RedHat have been
collaborating on OpenJDK).

For Tomcat, if you need Tomcat 1.7, you need to hop to JPackage. (I've
published bits there to make it more RHEL and CentOS 5 compatible, ask
if you're curious.) Otherwise, you can build and test the SRPM in the
upstream mirror sites.

For Bind, bind97 is in the upstream vendor's mirror sites as SRPM and
can be tested. I've not played with it.

For PHP, php53 is in the upstrem vendor's mirror sites as SRPM's and
can be built and tested. I already did that one.

For DHCP, minor updates are available and can be built and tested.

For Subversion, subverision-1.6.11 is in the upstrem vendor's mirror
sites as SRPM's and can be built and tested. I already did that one.

Most of these updates are awaiting the CentOS 5.6 release.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:07 AM
"Jason Pyeron"

I think I was misunderstood. Our concern is to have the latest from the upstream
vendor available as soon as possible.
We run about 30-40 centos systems and about the same in RHEL, it is difficult
when there are differences. Since we are not distributing, we often recompile
(without modification) SRPMs and add them to our local yum repo as a stop gap.

Other times were are implementing a bugfix, or feature for a given customer, we
know are way around the few packages we deal with every day.

I think it would be nice, if our efforts were in sync with this group and
benefited everyone.

<snip/>

> Most of these updates are awaiting the CentOS 5.6 release.

This is where we would like to help, but how?

> > I do not know how much "testing" of installs we can do, but
> building
> > and patching we can.
> >
> > -Jason

- -
- Jason Pyeron PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
- Principal Consultant 10 West 24th Street #100 -
- +1 (443) 269-1555 x333 Baltimore, Maryland 21218 -
- -

Old 03-21-2011, 05:54 PM
David Hollis

On 03/21/2011 08:07 AM, Jason Pyeron wrote:
> I think I was misunderstood. Our concern is to have the latest from the upstream
> vendor available as soon as possible.
> We run about 30-40 centos systems and about the same in RHEL, it is difficult
> when there are differences. Since we are not distributing, we often recompile
> (without modification) SRPMs and add them to our local yum repo as a stop gap.
>
> Other times were are implementing a bugfix, or feature for a given customer, we
> know are way around the few packages we deal with every day.
>
> I think it would be nice, if our efforts were in sync with this group and
> benefited everyone.

I'm completely unaffiliated w/ CentOS development but I think that while
your offer of assistance is greatly appreciated, it's likely somewhat
outside of what the issues that the CentOS team actually faces.
Rebuilding an SRPM is really a non-issue, and I doubt that it's even CPU
cycles that is a major factor with getting out an update - especially
when it's just updates vs. a entirely new version of the OS.

The issue/challenge/difficulty is with rebuilding the SRPM, ensuring the
binary compatibility w/ upstream (were there missing build-reqs that now
made the CentOS version not include some files or have library/binary
differences), trademark issues, other quirks such as abrt wanting to
send traces to RH's bugzilla).

For a simple package where rpmbuild --rebuild pkg.src.rpm is sufficient,
there's really nothing to the process.

I suspect that while the CentOS team could release some of the updates
to 5.5 and/or 5.6 even though the full 5.6 release hasn't occurred yet,
these updates are held back in the event that an issue is discovered
that requires a rebuild of a package that was thought to be correct and
already released. There really is no provision for 'errata' to packages
since if upstream releases pkg-1.0-2, CentOS can't push out pkg-1.0-3
since that now creates differences between upstream.

That being said, they have put out the bind97 and php53 packages, but
only in the c5-testing repo allowing for users that should understand
what they are undertaking to test/utilize them without affecting the
general userbase.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:36 PM
"Jason Pyeron"

This is something I am very familiar with. I have many time worked with redhat
to fix their build requires sections which have not included needed items
producing faulty rebuilds.

> For a simple package where rpmbuild --rebuild pkg.src.rpm is
> sufficient, there's really nothing to the process.
>
> I suspect that while the CentOS team could release some of
> the updates to 5.5 and/or 5.6 even though the full 5.6
> release hasn't occurred yet, these updates are held back in
> the event that an issue is discovered that requires a rebuild
> of a package that was thought to be correct and already

It would be useful create an inprogress repo of those that made it past the
trademark review.

> released. There really is no provision for 'errata' to
> packages since if upstream releases pkg-1.0-2, CentOS can't
> push out pkg-1.0-3 since that now creates differences between
> upstream.

When it is ready for publishing build it twice:

Release x.y and x.y.0.centosnotbincompat.take.42

Where the centosnotbincompat is excluded from the default repo.