Old 03-12-2011, 04:35 AM
Shawn Thompson

Default CentOS 6 Artwork?

Just wondering, do we have any plans for the CentOS 6.0 artwork? I kinda had an idea for a theme for this release, a theme that works in our logo colors along with a somewhat professional looking manner, and of course with the lack of a better name, I called it Prism. I'm somewhat*satisfied*with what I got here right now, though I really think my intended "vision" for this could only truly be seen if I used some raster stuff alongside my attempt at using Inkscape for such a product. What I got here, is more of a primer for a more "definitive" design package incorporating these elements (and when we have more of an actual vision, then I'll list it on the wiki somewhere).

http://ploader.net/files/d638bd1df2eb9d3af6578640568114e7.png
I'm sure we could find ways of jazzing this concept up, but I really think for 6.0, the artwork should be as good as the artwork in distributions sponsored by a certain upstream vendor. We can't just completely use 5.5's since there are some new elements in the 6.0-era distro (Plymouth splash screen, new GDM format, new Anaconda graphics etc.), so a complete makeover should really be completed by release.

~Shawn Thompson

Old 03-12-2011, 06:52 AM
Marcus Moeller

Dear Shawn,

> Just wondering, do we have any plans for the CentOS 6.0 artwork? I kinda
> had an idea for a theme for this release, a theme that works in our logo
> colors along with a somewhat professional looking manner, and of course
> with the lack of a better name, I called it Prism. I'm
> somewhat satisfied with what I got here right now, though I really think
> my intended "vision" for this could only truly be seen if I used some
> raster stuff alongside my attempt at using Inkscape for such a product.
> What I got here, is more of a primer for a more "definitive" design
> package incorporating these elements (and when we have more of an actual
> vision, then I'll list it on the wiki somewhere).
>
> http://ploader.net/files/d638bd1df2eb9d3af6578640568114e7.png
>
> I'm sure we could find ways of jazzing this concept up, but I really
> think for 6.0, the artwork should be as good as the artwork in
> distributions sponsored by a certain upstream vendor. We can't just
> completely use 5.5's since there are some new elements in the 6.0-era
> distro (Plymouth splash screen, new GDM format, new Anaconda graphics
> etc.), so a complete makeover should really be completed by release.

I have already finished artwork for 6 about 2 or three month ago. There
has been a discussion on the mailing list for quite a while.

You are of course, welcome to provide ideas for an upcoming release.

Greets
Marcus

Old 03-12-2011, 06:55 AM
Karanbir Singh

Hi,

On 03/12/2011 07:52 AM, Marcus Moeller wrote:
>> http://ploader.net/files/d638bd1df2eb9d3af6578640568114e7.png
>>
>> I'm sure we could find ways of jazzing this concept up, but I really
>> think for 6.0, the artwork should be as good as the artwork in
> I have already finished artwork for 6 about 2 or three month ago. There
> has been a discussion on the mailing list for quite a while.
>
> You are of course, welcome to provide ideas for an upcoming release.

We could have multiple theme's / wallpaper / screen-savers etc in the
artwork packages.

- KB

Old 03-12-2011, 09:24 AM
Fabian Arrotin

On 03/12/2011 06:35 AM, Shawn Thompson wrote:
> Just wondering, do we have any plans for the CentOS 6.0 artwork? I kinda
> had an idea for a theme for this release, a theme that works in our logo
> colors along with a somewhat professional looking manner, and of course
> with the lack of a better name, I called it Prism. I'm somewhat
> satisfied with what I got here right now, though I really think my
> intended "vision" for this could only truly be seen if I used some
> raster stuff alongside my attempt at using Inkscape for such a product.
> What I got here, is more of a primer for a more "definitive" design
> package incorporating these elements (and when we have more of an actual
> vision, then I'll list it on the wiki somewhere).
>
> http://ploader.net/files/d638bd1df2eb9d3af6578640568114e7.png
>
> I'm sure we could find ways of jazzing this concept up, but I really
> think for 6.0, the artwork should be as good as the artwork in
> distributions sponsored by a certain upstream vendor. We can't just
> completely use 5.5's since there are some new elements in the 6.0-era
> distro (Plymouth splash screen, new GDM format, new Anaconda graphics
> etc.), so a complete makeover should really be completed by release.
>
> ~Shawn Thompson

Marcus did a lot of work for the CentOS 6 artwork but i also really
appreciate your proposal.
As KB said, multiple wallpapers/themes/etc can be integrated in the c6
artwork package :-)

Fabian

Old 03-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Marcus Moeller

Dear Shawn,

> Well, give me the benefit of the doubt, the wiki still had the modern
> "squares" wallpaper package (but with 6.0 branding) listed as the
> artwork for the 6.0 release, so I presumed there hadn't been that much
> progress. I'll probably work on some samples of what potential elements
> could look like in a definite product.

Yup, wiki is outdated.

Please make use of the official CentOS Logo (with colors) on your
artwork proposal.

Greets
Marcus

Old 03-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Shawn Thompson

Of course the final elements would involve the official logos.
Just now I came up with an idea for a anaconda_header that would use this styling. While I changed the colors a bit in comparison to the mockup, you can kinda see what I had in mind with this motif.

http://ploader.net/files/deaaa59ac1506a42fb4bb457fd983c12.png

Dear Shawn,

Old 03-12-2011, 06:42 PM
Marcus Moeller

Dear Shawn.

> Of course the final elements would involve the official logos.
>
> Just now I came up with an idea for a anaconda_header that would use
> this styling. While I changed the colors a bit in comparison to the
> mockup, you can kinda see what I had in mind with this motif.
>
> http://ploader.net/files/deaaa59ac1506a42fb4bb457fd983c12.png

Looks fine, but as mentioned, you are a bit late with that. Why haven't
you took part in the discussion when it happened, about 2 month ago?

If you want additional artwork packed in CentOS 6 this is what you can
prepare:

Wallpaper set
KDM theme
KSplash theme