FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-01-2011, 07:41 AM
Andreas Rogge
 
Default Updating centos-release / EOL-notice for CentOS 4

I noticed that CentOS usually does not copy the EOL-announcement RHSA or
provide the updated package associated with it.

This would be CESA-2011:0219 with upstream details at
https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2011-0219.html

As everbody seemed to be concerned about the communication done for
CentOS 3 End of Life I guess it is probably a good idea to:
- duplicate the EOL-Notice RHSA as a CESA
- rebuild centos-release to contain an EOL-notice
- discuss wether or not to add an EOL-notice to /etc/issue

Regards,
Andreas

-- SNIP (/usr/share/doc/centos-release-4/EOL) --
== End Of Life Notice ==

According to our support-policy the 7-year lifecycle of CentOS 4 will
end on February 29, 2012.

After this date no security-updates or bugfixes will be released.

If you still run production systems on CentOS 4 you're strongly advised
to plan an upgrade to CentOS 5 or CentOS 6.
-- SNIP --

-- SNIP (/etc/issue) --
CentOS release 4.x (Final)
Kernel
on an m
NOTICE: Support for CentOS 4 ends on Feb 28th, 2012

-- SNIP --

--
Solvention Ltd. & Co. KG
Egermannstr. 6-8
53359 Rheinbach

Tel: +49 2226 158179-0
Fax: +49 2226 158179-9

http://www.solvention.de
mailto:info@solvention.de
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 03-03-2011, 03:22 AM
Johnny Hughes
 
Default Updating centos-release / EOL-notice for CentOS 4

On 03/01/2011 02:41 AM, Andreas Rogge wrote:
> I noticed that CentOS usually does not copy the EOL-announcement RHSA or
> provide the updated package associated with it.
>
> This would be CESA-2011:0219 with upstream details at
> https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2011-0219.html
>
> As everbody seemed to be concerned about the communication done for
> CentOS 3 End of Life I guess it is probably a good idea to:
> - duplicate the EOL-Notice RHSA as a CESA
> - rebuild centos-release to contain an EOL-notice
> - discuss wether or not to add an EOL-notice to /etc/issue
>
> Regards,
> Andreas
>
> -- SNIP (/usr/share/doc/centos-release-4/EOL) --
> == End Of Life Notice ==
>
> According to our support-policy the 7-year lifecycle of CentOS 4 will
> end on February 29, 2012.
>
> After this date no security-updates or bugfixes will be released.
>
> If you still run production systems on CentOS 4 you're strongly advised
> to plan an upgrade to CentOS 5 or CentOS 6.
> -- SNIP --
>
> -- SNIP (/etc/issue) --
> CentOS release 4.x (Final)
> Kernel
on an m
> NOTICE: Support for CentOS 4 ends on Feb 28th, 2012
>
> -- SNIP --
>

This sounds like a great idea to me ... I'll create it as part of these
updates I am pushing right now.

_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 03-03-2011, 04:08 AM
Johnny Hughes
 
Default Updating centos-release / EOL-notice for CentOS 4

On 03/02/2011 10:22 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 03/01/2011 02:41 AM, Andreas Rogge wrote:
>> I noticed that CentOS usually does not copy the EOL-announcement RHSA or
>> provide the updated package associated with it.
>>
>> This would be CESA-2011:0219 with upstream details at
>> https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2011-0219.html
>>
>> As everbody seemed to be concerned about the communication done for
>> CentOS 3 End of Life I guess it is probably a good idea to:
>> - duplicate the EOL-Notice RHSA as a CESA
>> - rebuild centos-release to contain an EOL-notice
>> - discuss wether or not to add an EOL-notice to /etc/issue
>>
>> Regards,
>> Andreas
>>
>> -- SNIP (/usr/share/doc/centos-release-4/EOL) --
>> == End Of Life Notice ==
>>
>> According to our support-policy the 7-year lifecycle of CentOS 4 will
>> end on February 29, 2012.
>>
>> After this date no security-updates or bugfixes will be released.
>>
>> If you still run production systems on CentOS 4 you're strongly advised
>> to plan an upgrade to CentOS 5 or CentOS 6.
>> -- SNIP --
>>
>> -- SNIP (/etc/issue) --
>> CentOS release 4.x (Final)
>> Kernel
on an m
>> NOTICE: Support for CentOS 4 ends on Feb 28th, 2012
>>
>> -- SNIP --
>>
>
> This sounds like a great idea to me ... I'll create it as part of these
> updates I am pushing right now.

OK guys ... lets review this and see if it will be OK. If it looks good
I will build it for i386 and add it to the updates repo with CESA.

http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/EOL/

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes

_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 03-03-2011, 06:08 AM
Alan Bartlett
 
Default Updating centos-release / EOL-notice for CentOS 4

On 3 March 2011 05:08, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:

> OK guys ... lets review this and see if it will be OK. *If it looks good
> I will build it for i386 and add it to the updates repo with CESA.
>
> http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/EOL/

I notice that Lance Davis still gets a mention in the CentOS-Base.repo
file . . .

Alan.
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 03-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Andreas Rogge
 
Default Updating centos-release / EOL-notice for CentOS 4

Am 03.03.2011 06:08, schrieb Johnny Hughes:
> On 03/02/2011 10:22 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> On 03/01/2011 02:41 AM, Andreas Rogge wrote:
>>
>> This sounds like a great idea to me
Thank you!

>
> OK guys ... lets review this and see if it will be OK. If it looks good
> I will build it for i386 and add it to the updates repo with CESA.
>
> http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/EOL/

I had a second look and noticed I got the EOL-date wrong for /etc/issue.
It is Feb 29th and not 28th.

Regards,
Andreas

--
Solvention Ltd. & Co. KG
Egermannstr. 6-8
53359 Rheinbach

Tel: +49 2226 158179-0
Fax: +49 2226 158179-9

http://www.solvention.de
mailto:info@solvention.de
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 03-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Johnny Hughes
 
Default Updating centos-release / EOL-notice for CentOS 4

On 03/03/2011 01:59 PM, Andreas Rogge wrote:
> Am 03.03.2011 06:08, schrieb Johnny Hughes:
>> On 03/02/2011 10:22 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>> On 03/01/2011 02:41 AM, Andreas Rogge wrote:
>>>
>>> This sounds like a great idea to me
> Thank you!
>
>>
>> OK guys ... lets review this and see if it will be OK. If it looks good
>> I will build it for i386 and add it to the updates repo with CESA.
>>
>> http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/EOL/
>
> I had a second look and noticed I got the EOL-date wrong for /etc/issue.
> It is Feb 29th and not 28th.

OK. so the date needs to change to the 29th and I can take Lance's name
out of the CentOS-Base (and check the other .repo files).

Anything else?

_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 03-03-2011, 11:51 PM
Alan Bartlett
 
Default Updating centos-release / EOL-notice for CentOS 4

On 3 March 2011 22:13, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:

> OK. so the date needs to change to the 29th and I can take Lance's name
> out of the CentOS-Base (and check the other .repo files).
>
> Anything else?

Nothing else is apparent to me by "eye-ball sanity testing".

Alan.
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:23 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org