Old 02-21-2011, 09:00 PM
Larry Vaden

Default Watch One, Do One, Teach One (the simple teaching method used in medical schools)

While it is understood that it is not the responsibility of the CentOS
Team to teach the community, nevertheless, it would be helpful if the
CentOS Team (or others in the know) could list a handful of packages
that are among the 600 Johnny reports as requiring attention in C6,
preferably some that won't even compile, others that require
comparison with the upstream binaries to note the problem.

N.B.:

. for C 3, 4 and 5, to date, we've watched nearly 4,000 (albeit it was
hard to see anything other than the outcome, which was GREAT)
. many of us are ready and would like to do one, so please tell us
which packages in the corpus will result in a failure in a
stock/vanilla build environment.
. perhaps somewhere between C6 and C7 some will pass muster.

THANKS for your consideration of the use of this widely used method of
teaching MDs, DVMs, DDSs, et al.

kind regards/ldv/vaden@texoma.net

Old 02-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Antaryami Khuda

> While it is understood that it is not the responsibility of the CentOS
> Team to teach the community, nevertheless, it would be helpful if the
> CentOS Team (or others in the know) could list a handful of packages

> that are among the 600 Johnny reports as requiring attention in C6,
> preferably some that won't even compile, others that require
> comparison with the upstream binaries to note the problem.

Dearest Larry,

I AM SO FUCKING SICK AND TIRED OF YOUR ENDLESS DRIVEL PASSING THROUGH MY INBOX, I may give up on this distro based on you and you ALONE.

PS: Shouldn't you be busy running your business rather than running your fingers on a mailing list?

PS #2: Looking at your business website, it appears your "store" is low on product. Perhaps you should concentrate on things that matter?

Graciously:

Ant.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Larry Vaden

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Antaryami Khuda
<antaryamikhuda@gmail.com> wrote:
> PS #2: Looking at your business website, it appears your "store" is low on
> product. Perhaps you should concentrate on things that matter?

Ubiquiti runs out of product for 2 - 3 months at a time. Disruptive
(a GOOD thing) projects like CentOS and companies like Ubiquiti often
see imbalances between supply and demand.

While a dry-as-a-bone distribution channel is not good for NEW
business, it is the old business (some subscribers have been with us
since 1995) that is most important.

Part of taking care of the old business is that our smallish farm of ~
30 servers running CentOS, FreeBSD and Windows Server operate well.

From time to time, there are exploits announced that won't appear in
RHEL for up to a year or longer; thus the need to graduate from
"watcher" to "doer."

Anyone can follow
<http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Network_Satellite/5.3/html/Deployment_Guide/satops-rpm-building.html>
or <http://www.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/How_to_create_an_RPM_package> or
<http://www.owlriver.com/tips/non-root/> but Browning said “Ah, but a
man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?”

hth.

kind regards/ldv/vaden@texoma.net

Old 02-22-2011, 09:29 AM
Karanbir Singh

Hi Guys,

On 02/21/2011 11:13 PM, Larry Vaden wrote:
>> PS #2: Looking at your business website, it appears your "store" is low on
>> product. Perhaps you should concentrate on things that matter?
>
> Ubiquiti runs out of product for 2 - 3 months at a time. Disruptive
> (a GOOD thing) projects like CentOS and companies like Ubiquiti often
> see imbalances between supply and demand.

This is all getting a bit mad. Larry, have you actually considered the
fact that its possible your comments are neither relevant, helpful or
even technically on the mark ? How about you lurk around for a bit and
get to know whats going on, how it works and then perhaps get involved
with more relevant feedback ?

- KB