Old 02-18-2011, 09:58 PM
Johnny Hughes

Default CentOS-4.9 SRPMS

It seems Red Hat is not releasing media for the 4.9 release, so this
seems to be just a bunch of updates that is going into the tree. Based
on the SRPMS listed here:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/enterprise/4AS/en/os/SRPMS/

And the current CentOS 4.8+updates SRPMS here:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos-4/4.8/os/SRPMS/

http://mirror.centos.org/centos-4/4.8/updates/SRPMS/

This is the list of SRPMS I have started building:

autofs-4.1.3-240.src.rpm
autofs5-5.0.1-0.rc2.114.src.rpm
bash-3.0-27.el4.src.rpm
bind-9.2.4-37.el4.src.rpm
centos-release-4-9.src.rpm
comps-4AS-0.20110202.src.rpm
coreutils-5.2.1-37.el4.src.rpm
device-mapper-1.02.28-3.el4.src.rpm
device-mapper-multipath-0.4.5-42.el4.src.rpm
glibc-2.3.4-2.54.src.rpm
gnome-volume-manager-1.1.0-9.src.rpm
hal-0.4.2-9.el4_8.src.rpm
httpd-2.0.52-47.ent.centos4.src.rpm
hwdata-0.146.33.EL-19.src.rpm
iscsi-initiator-utils-4.0.3.0-10.src.rpm
kernel-2.6.9-100.EL.src.rpm
kernel-utils-2.4-23.el4.src.rpm
lvm2-2.02.42-9.el4.src.rpm
net-snmp-5.1.2-20.el4.src.rpm
nfs-utils-1.0.6-94.EL4.src.rpm
nss_ldap-253-16.el4.src.rpm
numactl-0.6.4-1.44.src.rpm
procps-3.2.3-8.21.src.rpm
python-2.3.4-14.9.el4.src.rpm
quota-3.12-9.el4.src.rpm
redhat-release-4AS-10.src.rpm
rhnlib-2.1.4-17.el4_8.1.src.rpm
rhpl-0.148.6-2.src.rpm
rpmdb-redhat-4-0.20110202.src.rpm
samba-3.0.33-0.29.el4.src.rpm
sendmail-8.13.1-6.el4.src.rpm
sysklogd-1.4.1-30.el4.src.rpm
sysstat-5.0.5-27.el4.src.rpm
system-config-lvm-1.1.4-4.el4.src.rpm
system-config-network-1.3.22.0.EL.4.6-4.el4.src.rpm
systemtap-1.3-5.el4.src.rpm
tmpwatch-2.9.1-1.el4.2.src.rpm
udev-039-10.30.el4.src.rpm
up2date-4.9.1-29.el4.centos.src.rpm
util-linux-2.12a-28.el4.src.rpm
xorg-x11-6.8.2-1.EL.66.src.rpm

If there is more than one SRPM of the same package, I only took the
latest SRPM.

Can I get a couple of you guys to verify my SRPM list?

Note: The Red Hat FTP site is all updates since the release of RHEL
4.0. The CentOS 4.8 SRPMS are the ones on the 4.8 ISOs and the updates
are those SRPMS updated since the release of 4.8. We are only
interested in the newest SRPMS for each app.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes

Old 02-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Johnny Hughes

On 02/18/2011 04:58 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> It seems Red Hat is not releasing media for the 4.9 release, so this
> seems to be just a bunch of updates that is going into the tree. Based
> on the SRPMS listed here:
>
> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/enterprise/4AS/en/os/SRPMS/
>
> And the current CentOS 4.8+updates SRPMS here:
>
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos-4/4.8/os/SRPMS/
>
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos-4/4.8/updates/SRPMS/
>
> This is the list of SRPMS I have started building:
>
> autofs-4.1.3-240.src.rpm
> autofs5-5.0.1-0.rc2.114.src.rpm
> bash-3.0-27.el4.src.rpm
> bind-9.2.4-37.el4.src.rpm
> centos-release-4-9.src.rpm
> comps-4AS-0.20110202.src.rpm
> coreutils-5.2.1-37.el4.src.rpm
> device-mapper-1.02.28-3.el4.src.rpm
> device-mapper-multipath-0.4.5-42.el4.src.rpm
> glibc-2.3.4-2.54.src.rpm
> gnome-volume-manager-1.1.0-9.src.rpm
> hal-0.4.2-9.el4_8.src.rpm
> httpd-2.0.52-47.ent.centos4.src.rpm
> hwdata-0.146.33.EL-19.src.rpm
> iscsi-initiator-utils-4.0.3.0-10.src.rpm
> kernel-2.6.9-100.EL.src.rpm
> kernel-utils-2.4-23.el4.src.rpm
> lvm2-2.02.42-9.el4.src.rpm
> net-snmp-5.1.2-20.el4.src.rpm
> nfs-utils-1.0.6-94.EL4.src.rpm
> nss_ldap-253-16.el4.src.rpm
> numactl-0.6.4-1.44.src.rpm
> procps-3.2.3-8.21.src.rpm
> python-2.3.4-14.9.el4.src.rpm
> quota-3.12-9.el4.src.rpm
> redhat-release-4AS-10.src.rpm
> rhnlib-2.1.4-17.el4_8.1.src.rpm
> rhpl-0.148.6-2.src.rpm
> rpmdb-redhat-4-0.20110202.src.rpm
> samba-3.0.33-0.29.el4.src.rpm
> sendmail-8.13.1-6.el4.src.rpm
> sysklogd-1.4.1-30.el4.src.rpm
> sysstat-5.0.5-27.el4.src.rpm
> system-config-lvm-1.1.4-4.el4.src.rpm
> system-config-network-1.3.22.0.EL.4.6-4.el4.src.rpm
> systemtap-1.3-5.el4.src.rpm
> tmpwatch-2.9.1-1.el4.2.src.rpm
> udev-039-10.30.el4.src.rpm
> up2date-4.9.1-29.el4.centos.src.rpm
> util-linux-2.12a-28.el4.src.rpm
> xorg-x11-6.8.2-1.EL.66.src.rpm
>
> If there is more than one SRPM of the same package, I only took the
> latest SRPM.
>
> Can I get a couple of you guys to verify my SRPM list?
>
> Note: The Red Hat FTP site is all updates since the release of RHEL
> 4.0. The CentOS 4.8 SRPMS are the ones on the 4.8 ISOs and the updates
> are those SRPMS updated since the release of 4.8. We are only
> interested in the newest SRPMS for each app.
>
> Thanks,
> Johnny Hughes

I hear crickets ... where are all the community people who want to help?

Old 02-19-2011, 10:49 AM
js

Le 19/02/11 15:42, Johnny Hughes a écrit :
> On 02/18/2011 04:58 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> It seems Red Hat is not releasing media for the 4.9 release, so this
>> seems to be just a bunch of updates that is going into the tree. Based
>> on the SRPMS listed here:
>>
>> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/enterprise/4AS/en/os/SRPMS/
>>
>> And the current CentOS 4.8+updates SRPMS here:
>>
>> http://mirror.centos.org/centos-4/4.8/os/SRPMS/
>>
>> http://mirror.centos.org/centos-4/4.8/updates/SRPMS/
>>
>> This is the list of SRPMS I have started building:
>>
>> autofs-4.1.3-240.src.rpm
>> autofs5-5.0.1-0.rc2.114.src.rpm
>> bash-3.0-27.el4.src.rpm
>> bind-9.2.4-37.el4.src.rpm
>> centos-release-4-9.src.rpm
>> comps-4AS-0.20110202.src.rpm
>> coreutils-5.2.1-37.el4.src.rpm
>> device-mapper-1.02.28-3.el4.src.rpm
>> device-mapper-multipath-0.4.5-42.el4.src.rpm
>> glibc-2.3.4-2.54.src.rpm
>> gnome-volume-manager-1.1.0-9.src.rpm
>> hal-0.4.2-9.el4_8.src.rpm
>> httpd-2.0.52-47.ent.centos4.src.rpm
>> hwdata-0.146.33.EL-19.src.rpm
>> iscsi-initiator-utils-4.0.3.0-10.src.rpm
>> kernel-2.6.9-100.EL.src.rpm
>> kernel-utils-2.4-23.el4.src.rpm
>> lvm2-2.02.42-9.el4.src.rpm
>> net-snmp-5.1.2-20.el4.src.rpm
>> nfs-utils-1.0.6-94.EL4.src.rpm
>> nss_ldap-253-16.el4.src.rpm
>> numactl-0.6.4-1.44.src.rpm
>> procps-3.2.3-8.21.src.rpm
>> python-2.3.4-14.9.el4.src.rpm
>> quota-3.12-9.el4.src.rpm
>> redhat-release-4AS-10.src.rpm
>> rhnlib-2.1.4-17.el4_8.1.src.rpm
>> rhpl-0.148.6-2.src.rpm
>> rpmdb-redhat-4-0.20110202.src.rpm
>> samba-3.0.33-0.29.el4.src.rpm
>> sendmail-8.13.1-6.el4.src.rpm
>> sysklogd-1.4.1-30.el4.src.rpm
>> sysstat-5.0.5-27.el4.src.rpm
>> system-config-lvm-1.1.4-4.el4.src.rpm
>> system-config-network-1.3.22.0.EL.4.6-4.el4.src.rpm
>> systemtap-1.3-5.el4.src.rpm
>> tmpwatch-2.9.1-1.el4.2.src.rpm
>> udev-039-10.30.el4.src.rpm
>> up2date-4.9.1-29.el4.centos.src.rpm
>> util-linux-2.12a-28.el4.src.rpm
>> xorg-x11-6.8.2-1.EL.66.src.rpm
>>
>> If there is more than one SRPM of the same package, I only took the
>> latest SRPM.
>>
>> Can I get a couple of you guys to verify my SRPM list?
>>
>> Note: The Red Hat FTP site is all updates since the release of RHEL
>> 4.0. The CentOS 4.8 SRPMS are the ones on the 4.8 ISOs and the updates
>> are those SRPMS updated since the release of 4.8. We are only
>> interested in the newest SRPMS for each app.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Johnny Hughes
>
> I hear crickets ... where are all the community people who want to help?
Hello,

Ok, so "Help" for you is to check if your rpm list is correct?

It's better to say "close the light when I leave my office, thanks".

I hope it's a joke, really :-)

Regards,

js.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Larry Vaden

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 5:42 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:

> I hear crickets ... where are all the community people who want to help?

Am working on it and will report back as soon as possible; what is your count?

Old 02-19-2011, 12:19 PM
Paulo Martinez

Am 19.02.2011 um 12:49 schrieb js:
> Le 19/02/11 15:42, Johnny Hughes a écrit :
>> On 02/18/2011 04:58 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>>
>>> Can I get a couple of you guys to verify my SRPM list?
>>>
>>> Note: The Red Hat FTP site is all updates since the release of RHEL
>>> 4.0. The CentOS 4.8 SRPMS are the ones on the 4.8 ISOs and the
>>> updates
>>> are those SRPMS updated since the release of 4.8. We are only
>>> interested in the newest SRPMS for each app.
>>
>> I hear crickets ... where are all the community people who want to
>> help?
>

> Ok, so "Help" for you is to check if your rpm list is correct?
>
> It's better to say "close the light when I leave my office, thanks".

Sorry, but what do imagine? Getting started as a big manager?

Give assistance, get trust and take then your own part managed
by you. :-)

I think it is import to see the transition! and focusing that to get
included and (again) if needed change things by transit it.

Bests

PM

Old 02-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Johnny Hughes

On 02/19/2011 05:49 AM, js wrote:
> Le 19/02/11 15:42, Johnny Hughes a écrit :
>> On 02/18/2011 04:58 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>> It seems Red Hat is not releasing media for the 4.9 release, so this
>>> seems to be just a bunch of updates that is going into the tree. Based
>>> on the SRPMS listed here:
>>>
>>> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/enterprise/4AS/en/os/SRPMS/
>>>
>>> And the current CentOS 4.8+updates SRPMS here:
>>>
>>> http://mirror.centos.org/centos-4/4.8/os/SRPMS/
>>>
>>> http://mirror.centos.org/centos-4/4.8/updates/SRPMS/
>>>
>>> This is the list of SRPMS I have started building:
>>>
>>> autofs-4.1.3-240.src.rpm
>>> autofs5-5.0.1-0.rc2.114.src.rpm
>>> bash-3.0-27.el4.src.rpm
>>> bind-9.2.4-37.el4.src.rpm
>>> centos-release-4-9.src.rpm
>>> comps-4AS-0.20110202.src.rpm
>>> coreutils-5.2.1-37.el4.src.rpm
>>> device-mapper-1.02.28-3.el4.src.rpm
>>> device-mapper-multipath-0.4.5-42.el4.src.rpm
>>> glibc-2.3.4-2.54.src.rpm
>>> gnome-volume-manager-1.1.0-9.src.rpm
>>> hal-0.4.2-9.el4_8.src.rpm
>>> httpd-2.0.52-47.ent.centos4.src.rpm
>>> hwdata-0.146.33.EL-19.src.rpm
>>> iscsi-initiator-utils-4.0.3.0-10.src.rpm
>>> kernel-2.6.9-100.EL.src.rpm
>>> kernel-utils-2.4-23.el4.src.rpm
>>> lvm2-2.02.42-9.el4.src.rpm
>>> net-snmp-5.1.2-20.el4.src.rpm
>>> nfs-utils-1.0.6-94.EL4.src.rpm
>>> nss_ldap-253-16.el4.src.rpm
>>> numactl-0.6.4-1.44.src.rpm
>>> procps-3.2.3-8.21.src.rpm
>>> python-2.3.4-14.9.el4.src.rpm
>>> quota-3.12-9.el4.src.rpm
>>> redhat-release-4AS-10.src.rpm
>>> rhnlib-2.1.4-17.el4_8.1.src.rpm
>>> rhpl-0.148.6-2.src.rpm
>>> rpmdb-redhat-4-0.20110202.src.rpm
>>> samba-3.0.33-0.29.el4.src.rpm
>>> sendmail-8.13.1-6.el4.src.rpm
>>> sysklogd-1.4.1-30.el4.src.rpm
>>> sysstat-5.0.5-27.el4.src.rpm
>>> system-config-lvm-1.1.4-4.el4.src.rpm
>>> system-config-network-1.3.22.0.EL.4.6-4.el4.src.rpm
>>> systemtap-1.3-5.el4.src.rpm
>>> tmpwatch-2.9.1-1.el4.2.src.rpm
>>> udev-039-10.30.el4.src.rpm
>>> up2date-4.9.1-29.el4.centos.src.rpm
>>> util-linux-2.12a-28.el4.src.rpm
>>> xorg-x11-6.8.2-1.EL.66.src.rpm
>>>
>>> If there is more than one SRPM of the same package, I only took the
>>> latest SRPM.
>>>
>>> Can I get a couple of you guys to verify my SRPM list?
>>>
>>> Note: The Red Hat FTP site is all updates since the release of RHEL
>>> 4.0. The CentOS 4.8 SRPMS are the ones on the 4.8 ISOs and the updates
>>> are those SRPMS updated since the release of 4.8. We are only
>>> interested in the newest SRPMS for each app.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Johnny Hughes
>>
>> I hear crickets ... where are all the community people who want to help?
> Hello,
>
> Ok, so "Help" for you is to check if your rpm list is correct?
>
> It's better to say "close the light when I leave my office, thanks".
>
> I hope it's a joke, really :-)

So you don't really want to help, you just want us to tell you how to
build CentOS.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:40 PM
js

Le 19/02/11 17:23, Johnny Hughes a écrit :
> On 02/19/2011 05:49 AM, js wrote:

>>> I hear crickets ... where are all the community people who want to help?
>> Hello,
>>
>> Ok, so "Help" for you is to check if your rpm list is correct?
>>
>> It's better to say "close the light when I leave my office, thanks".
>>
>> I hope it's a joke, really :-)
> So you don't really want to help, you just want us to tell you how to
> build CentOS.

Hello,
I know that "open" a project is not easy, it's time consuming yes.
But it seems nobody here cares about a good way to work in team.
You have a guru, and "the others".

Let me take a simple example:

Today I have servers, can free cpu to compile stuff, can test build iso
process, can test installation, validity
of rpms etc..
How, today, can I help?
I don't want to sign packages, no .. only add a few time to help, no
more, no less:
There is no "security" risk to do so.

If you think the "centos community" is some guys who count the number of
srpms in a ftp server; ok,
we can close the discussion; talk to a wall is a waste of time.

I hope you will understand my thinking: I know the work you do, and I'm
glad to use it,
but it does not solve this particular problem.

Regards,

js.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Larry Vaden

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 7:40 AM, js <jsh@interlug.net> wrote:

> If you think the "centos community" is some guys who count the number of
> srpms in a ftp server; ok,
> we can close the discussion; talk to a wall is a waste of time.

Unless yours truly has missed the boat, the nut of the problem Johnny
assigned to us want-2-b helpers as our homework is understanding the
field structure of the .src.rpm in order to generate which rev to
build from, e.g.,

bind-9.2.4-16.EL4.src.rpm
bind-9.2.4-20.EL4.src.rpm
bind-9.2.4-24.EL4.src.rpm
bind-9.2.4-27.0.1.el4.src.rpm
bind-9.2.4-28.0.1.el4.src.rpm
bind-9.2.4-28.el4.src.rpm
bind-9.2.4-30.el4_7.1.src.rpm
bind-9.2.4-30.el4_7.2.src.rpm
bind-9.2.4-30.el4_8.4.src.rpm
bind-9.2.4-30.el4_8.5.src.rpm
bind-9.2.4-30.el4_8.6.src.rpm
bind-9.2.4-30.el4.src.rpm
bind-9.2.4-37.el4.src.rpm

and

vixie-cron-4.1-36.EL4.src.rpm
vixie-cron-4.1-44.EL4.src.rpm
vixie-cron-4.1-47.EL4.src.rpm
vixie-cron-4.1-49.EL4.src.rpm
vixie-cron-4.1-50.el4.src.rpm
vixie-cron-4.1-57.el4.src.rpm
vixie-cron-4.1-58.el4.src.rpm

IOW, it doesn't appear to be a problem for which a simple 'cut' works.
Both rpm and yum understand how to parse, but this poster doesn't at
this time. One approach might be to build an rpm database and then
yum it to find out what it would install.

I think it fair to assume Johnny won't be hinting about how to do
this, but has essentially crafted a homework exercise that tests us
want-2-b helpers to determine if we can even determine which packages
need to be included in the process.

regards/ldv/vaden@texoma.net

vaden@turtlehill:~/work-for-johnny-4.9-srpm-list$ wc -l *.list
880 centos.list
275 centos-updates.list
3266 combined.list
2601 combined.uniq.list
2111 redhat.list
9133 total

Old 02-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Johnny Hughes

On 02/19/2011 07:40 AM, js wrote:
> Le 19/02/11 17:23, Johnny Hughes a écrit :

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Ok, so "Help" for you is to check if your rpm list is correct?
>>>
>>> It's better to say "close the light when I leave my office, thanks".
>>>
>>> I hope it's a joke, really :-)
>> So you don't really want to help, you just want us to tell you how to
>> build CentOS.
>
> Hello,
> I know that "open" a project is not easy, it's time consuming yes.
> But it seems nobody here cares about a good way to work in team.
> You have a guru, and "the others".
>
> Let me take a simple example:
>
> Today I have servers, can free cpu to compile stuff, can test build iso
> process, can test installation, validity
> of rpms etc..
> How, today, can I help?
> I don't want to sign packages, no .. only add a few time to help, no
> more, no less:
> There is no "security" risk to do so.
>
> If you think the "centos community" is some guys who count the number of
> srpms in a ftp server; ok,
> we can close the discussion; talk to a wall is a waste of time.
>
> I hope you will understand my thinking: I know the work you do, and I'm
> glad to use it,
> but it does not solve this particular problem.

Have you ever even seen the fedora project (the absolute most open
project in the world, BTW) all people to compile SRPMS on their
computers for inclusion into the project.

Absolutely not ...

They would NEVER allow someone to compile binaries somewhere else and
ask that they somehow be included in the distribution. That is just
crazy talk.

If you are one of the chosen people who are allowed to actually submit
packages to the official fedora build system, that is one thing ...
there are a few of those people. Not everyone who wants to is allowed
to be the lead for fedora packages. See if they will let you be the
fedora lead for glibc or the kernel. And this is the most open project
out there.

I have no idea what you know about building packages because I have
never met you, how does it help me to know that you can (or can not)
build the packages on a non-controlled environment (non controlled by me)?

We have build systems that we use, we have a controlled environment on
those build systems. The are setup so that only specific people have
access. Those machines and are owned by donors who expect us to control
the access on the machines, etc.

If you want to test the binaries that we have built before release, that
is what the QA team does. There are currently 25 people in that group.
We might ask for more people to join that group.

But none of that happens until we fix the build issues that we have
after we build and test the packages. Building them on a non
centos.org machine is not an option. Just like would not allow you to
build a fedora package on a non-fedora machine.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:09 PM
js

Le 19/02/11 19:02, Johnny Hughes a écrit :

> Have you ever even seen the fedora project (the absolute most open
> project in the world, BTW) all people to compile SRPMS on their
> computers for inclusion into the project.
>
> Absolutely not ...
>
> They would NEVER allow someone to compile binaries somewhere else and
> ask that they somehow be included in the distribution. That is just
> crazy talk.
The fact is, fedora is not Centos; Fedora is the "lab of" Redhat.
So, yes they will never let me (or you?) build anything in your box, of
course

> If you are one of the chosen people who are allowed to actually submit
> packages to the official fedora build system, that is one thing ...
> there are a few of those people. Not everyone who wants to is allowed
> to be the lead for fedora packages. See if they will let you be the
> fedora lead for glibc or the kernel. And this is the most open project
> out there.
>
> I have no idea what you know about building packages because I have
> never met you, how does it help me to know that you can (or can not)
> build the packages on a non-controlled environment (non controlled by me)?
>
> We have build systems that we use, we have a controlled environment on
> those build systems. The are setup so that only specific people have
> access. Those machines and are owned by donors who expect us to control
> the access on the machines, etc.

I think you miss something (And you think I want that everyone will
access to your "big servers"
Build a package is not the same thing as sign it:
Let me explain this:
You have a problem to build srpms; you know like me that sometimes
Redhat miss
dependencies, some -devel rpms are missing, worst: you need the specific
gcc version to avoid a bug.

So, your build environment will fail to build this srpms;
How do you fix this issue? how many people can work on it?
I mean, if everyone can "clone" your build-env (ok, mock is not too hard
to use):
everyone can test the build process, see what's wrong and send to the
dev team a patched spec file
to try to fix the issue.

> If you want to test the binaries that we have built before release, that
> is what the QA team does. There are currently 25 people in that group.
> We might ask for more people to join that group.

when you're in QA, the hard work is close to be done

> But none of that happens until we fix the build issues that we have
> after we build and test the packages. Building them on a non
> centos.org machine is not an option. Just like would not allow you to
> build a fedora package on a non-fedora machine.

To be very clear:
Actually, there is a way to reproduce a build-test env without the need
to be on a "holy centos.org" machine ?
Yes or No?

If yes, when a member find the problem, he can upload the srpm with the
patch and let you rebuild it on a "genuine" centos.org
build machine;
I don't see in what this can be a problem.
if no: ok so ... we hope the guru is not sick or in holidays

Regards

js.