Old 03-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Andreas Rogge

Default Website Version 2, next steps

Am 01.03.2011 19:31, schrieb Steve Meyers:
> If you're using a CMS to manage just a couple pages, then you're
> probably fighting with the CMS to make it work the way you want it to.
If you're "fighting" with your CMS you're definitely using the wrong
tool for the job.

> With just a few pages, the benefits aren't as significant.
They obviously are. It is "learn to use git and how to program php" and
"try to understand the code you wrote two years ago" vs. "have a look at
the 5 minute CMS introduction video" for being able to edit the page.

As I already said: we need something that's good at aggregation and can
do simple cms stuff. I don't say Drupal/Joomla/whatever is the right
tool, but plain PHP with code + content mixed up is just a pain.

So we'll either end up with an CMS or some php "framework" (maybe just a
few libs thrown together) to make editing the page rather simple.
I guess the latter one would work, but I doubt it has any real
advantages over a _simple_ cms+aggregator solution.

"Lets to it with php ourselves" sounds like a NIH-problem to me and will
become a maintenance-horror in the long run.

Regards,
Andreas

--
Solvention Ltd. & Co. KG
Egermannstr. 6-8

Tel: +49 2226 158179-0
Fax: +49 2226 158179-9

http://www.solvention.de
mailto:info@solvention.de

Old 03-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Steve Meyers

On 3/1/11 12:59 PM, Andreas Rogge wrote:
> If you're "fighting" with your CMS you're definitely using the wrong
> tool for the job.

I guess that's why I don't like to use CMSes. I like to have more
control over layout and such, and I find I spend less time doing my own
CSS and HTML than I would trying to get my CSS to work within the CMS
CSS. The more customizing you do with the CMS, the more problems you
potentially have when you do upgrades in the future.

Like I said though, it all depends on how many pages you're maintaining.
At some point, it's better to just work within the bounds of the CMS
and give up some of the customizability, in order to have better
maintainability.

I'm saying all this without having seen a site design for the new
website, so perhaps I should just keep my piehole shut.

Steve

Old 03-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Marcus Moeller

Dear Steve.

> I guess that's why I don't like to use CMSes. I like to have more
> control over layout and such, and I find I spend less time doing my own
> CSS and HTML than I would trying to get my CSS to work within the CMS
> CSS. The more customizing you do with the CMS, the more problems you
> potentially have when you do upgrades in the future.
>
> Like I said though, it all depends on how many pages you're maintaining.
> At some point, it's better to just work within the bounds of the CMS
> and give up some of the customizability, in order to have better
> maintainability.

Please don't worry to much about theming. CSS Stylesheet is already
there and will be ported to themes if necessary.

Greets
Marcus

Old 03-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Andreas Rogge

Am 01.03.2011 21:09, schrieb Steve Meyers:
> I guess that's why I don't like to use CMSes. I like to have more
> control over layout and such, and I find I spend less time doing my own
> CSS and HTML than I would trying to get my CSS to work within the CMS
> CSS. The more customizing you do with the CMS, the more problems you
> potentially have when you do upgrades in the future.

That's still the "wrong tool" problem i was talking about. Don't use a
CMS that puts its own CSS onto your page. Its job is to manage content
not design.
It is absolutely ok if you write the page template from scratch. But
design, code and content should be separated so you can replace each of
them without having to think too much about the other two. Using a
ready-made solution makes sure that:
- the code/content/design-separation is there
- the libraries used are known to work together
- you don't need to hack around getting RSS import or whatever to work
- you have an upgradable vendor-provided codebase (which you should
never touch)

Regards,
Andreas

--
Solvention Ltd. & Co. KG
Egermannstr. 6-8

Tel: +49 2226 158179-0
Fax: +49 2226 158179-9

http://www.solvention.de
mailto:info@solvention.de

Old 03-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Am 01.03.11 20:59, schrieb Andreas Rogge:
> "Lets to it with php ourselves" sounds like a NIH-problem to me and will
> become a maintenance-horror in the long run.

s/php/favorite toy language/

+1, I want to have something maintanable. Well, except if you just
cobble three scripts together even I can understand

Ralph

Old 03-21-2011, 09:44 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Am 23.02.11 13:56, schrieb Ralph Angenendt:

> What is needed:
>
> Go over the web content. Identify articles which need to stay (or
> should be ported to the wiki) or which can go away. All this outside
> of the forums.
>
> Suggestions for a working LDAP frontend, suggestions for a working
> LDAP schema (which attributes are needed, and so on).
>
> Suggestions for a solution for the web site - please no "Joompal3,
> because I've used it once", but more like "DruTyPress 4, because we
> already fed RSS feeds to that, This wanted feature also can be
> implemented easily, Oh, and it has a bridge to php-bb".
>
> People who can adapt the wiki css to things to come.
>
> Does that make the venture a bit clearer?

And as work arises, the thread dies. There were several people wanting
to help with website v2. Up there are several things which need to be
done before there is the need to decide which software runs where.

*sigh*

Ralph