Old 02-21-2011, 05:13 PM
Karanbir Singh

Default Website Version 2, next steps

On 02/17/2011 10:16 PM, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> - Wiki
> The wiki will find it's role as being about the distribution side of
> things (read on for an explanation). All documentation about the project
> - Website
> The website will be about the project side of things. Firstly it should
> be a starting point for all users - a role which it does not really play
> Clear division of which content will go where. This also means that a
> clearer presentation of content can be done on all parts, not the muddle
> we have there at the moment.

I'm guessing that there is some level of agreement on the content split
between wiki and website. This is an important issue, since pretty much
everything we do from here would depend on putting that line down and
then asking people to stick to that split.

> Links between forum posts might go away, I am not sure if there is a
> possibility to find out the new target of a link.

We can prolly work on that - and maybe even get a 30x redirect from the
old url to the new url ( for a few months, so people can update
bookmarks etc )

- KB

Old 02-22-2011, 09:30 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 02/22/2011 09:03 AM, Didi wrote:
>> I agree with this. the level of complexity introduced by trying to
>> wrangle an existing solution into working for the various properties /
>> resources we have might be a lot higher than just doing something simple
>> from scratch.
>
> I started looking at the solutions. The two mentioned have a lot of
> features and we have a relatively simple problem.

Just to remove any ambiguity : are you saying that the mentioned
solutions would work for our given definition of the 'problem'; or that
they are too cumbersome and perhaps an overkill for our simple requirements.

- KB

Old 02-22-2011, 10:37 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Am 20.02.11 02:03, schrieb James Hogarth:

> The real question is the value used for login... and I would suggest a
> simple username as opposed to email to make email changing easier and
> would not cause/require a reindex.

AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

People, please do not get hung up on the mail adress issue. As I stated
before: That seems to be the most sane way to *FIND* accounts by the
same person.

NOBODY EVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THE TECHNICAL SIDE OF THAT!

Ralph

Old 02-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Am 20.02.11 20:25, schrieb Andrea Veri:
> Il giorno 18/feb/2011, alle ore 21.20, Ralph Angenendt ha scritto:
>> Am 18.02.11 18:23, schrieb Andrea Veri:
>>
>>> I agree with all the above. We just need to define which software to use
>>> and then we should just roll up our sleeves and start making this real.
>>>
>>> Will wait the next step.
>>
>> Next step is swapping ideas around on how we can make sure to get a
>> clean user database,
>
> Asking everyone to register again can be a working solution?

I am not sure. Not if we try to retain knowledge by keeping old forums
along.

>> on how to make a central management "console" for
>> that and on how to best plugin different applications into that.
>>

> why don't we simple use a normal LDAP istance?

You'd still need something where users can sign up/sign out/change things?

> and why don't we have
> a look at existing LDAP management consoles like Mango [1] or FAS?

See, that's why this asking around happens Not everybody does know
anything.

> Building one from scratch is definitely not an easy work, so it would be
> the best to use an existing and tested solutions.

If one can integrate them with what is there - sure, why not.

Ralph

Old 02-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Ralph Angenendt

2011/2/17 Ralph Angenendt <ralph.angenendt@gmail.com>:
> What we did not discuss was which software should be used where,
> although for many pieces this already has been chosen.

Let me try to make it a bit more clear:

We have (technical) solutions for:

wiki.centos.org (stays the same, auth will be different)
projects.centos.org (will still be trac, auth will be different)
bugs.centos.org (mantis, different auth)
forums (we already have migrations scripts into php-bb).

Everything else is open for discussion.

What is needed:

Go over the web content. Identify articles which need to stay (or
should be ported to the wiki) or which can go away. All this outside
of the forums.

Suggestions for a working LDAP frontend, suggestions for a working
LDAP schema (which attributes are needed, and so on).

Suggestions for a solution for the web site - please no "Joompal3,
because I've used it once", but more like "DruTyPress 4, because we
already fed RSS feeds to that, This wanted feature also can be
implemented easily, Oh, and it has a bridge to php-bb".

People who can adapt the wiki css to things to come.

Does that make the venture a bit clearer?

Regards,

Ralph

Old 02-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Andrea Veri

Il giorno 23/feb/2011, alle ore 13.56, Ralph Angenendt ha scritto:

> Suggestions for a solution for the web site - please no "Joompal3,
> because I've used it once", but more like "DruTyPress 4, because we
> already fed RSS feeds to that, This wanted feature also can be
> implemented easily, Oh, and it has a bridge to php-bb".

Drupal:

1. it has feeds support and they are easy to implement
2. it is easy to maintain by multiple people and easy to develop
while working in a work-group.
3. it has LDAP integration
4. works fine on CentOS since we currently have the needed packages
in EPEL. (so easy to upgrade or recover directly from RPMs)
5. we can link it to the phpbb istance with no problem, a link on the header
or anywhere else on the frontpage will just do what we need.
6. we currently use it in Fedora and we have several nice pages to have it
set up together with some nice modules
7. it is easy to deploy on puppet
8. even the White House use it on their websites!

Ralph, is this not enough?

Andrea

Old 02-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Andrea Veri wrote:
> Drupal:
-snip-
> 4. works fine on CentOS since we currently have the needed packages
> in EPEL. (so easy to upgrade or recover directly from RPMs)

I have one off-topic question.

Where is Drupal installed from RPM? /var/www/html? What about multiple
domain servers? I am using Virtualmin on my server, is there any "copy"
script so I could make a copy of default Drupal instance inside the
/home/domain/html path?

Thanks,
Ljubomir

Old 02-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 02/23/2011 01:06 PM, Andrea Veri wrote:
>> Suggestions for a solution for the web site - please no "Joompal3,
>
> Drupal:
>
> 1. it has feeds support and they are easy to implement

On the flip side : if primary content on the website is going to be
generated / project based rather than lots of text / cms style content;
then do we need much more than a few static pages with the right css
thrown in on top - and let the apps run as they do with the same css (
as much as possible ).

Would drupal in this case not be a total overkill ?

- KB

Old 02-23-2011, 05:13 PM
Andrea Veri

Il giorno 23/feb/2011, alle ore 19.00, Karanbir Singh ha scritto:

> On 02/23/2011 01:06 PM, Andrea Veri wrote:
>>> Suggestions for a solution for the web site - please no "Joompal3,
>>
>> Drupal:
>>
>> 1. it has feeds support and they are easy to implement
>
> On the flip side : if primary content on the website is going to be
> generated / project based rather than lots of text / cms style content;
> then do we need much more than a few static pages with the right css
> thrown in on top - and let the apps run as they do with the same css (
> as much as possible ).
>
> Would drupal in this case not be a total overkill ?

Going with static pages would be nice yes, but it is not really
easy to maintain. We would need a git repo with special permissions
and whatever. Drupal with its own account management can simplify
this duty and allow multiple people to edit only part of the content available
on the website. (i.e we have the administrator role that can modify modules,
and pretty much everything, we do have the editor role that can modify just
stories and other minor things)

On a drupal istance adding and managing content is really easy, while
doing a website from scratch (css, html, php, ...) can take more time to be
developed and can take some of us to disagree on how the website will look like.
(building a website requires a project and a lot of work to organize the content
itself and its structure, while this won't actually happen with Drupal, since any of
us have seen or played with a working drupal istance before today and know
how and where the content is managed)

Adopting static pages can be hard to maintain for a team, yet another vcs to
push stuff to. But anyway I am open to any idea, my main interest is to change
things making the current website a bit more useful and nice.

Just my two cents.

Andrea

Old 02-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Andrea Veri

Il giorno 23/feb/2011, alle ore 14.50, Ljubomir Ljubojevic ha scritto:

> Andrea Veri wrote:
>> Drupal:
> -snip-
>> 4. works fine on CentOS since we currently have the needed packages
>> in EPEL. (so easy to upgrade or recover directly from RPMs)
>
> I have one off-topic question.
>
> Where is Drupal installed from RPM? /var/www/html? What about multiple
> domain servers? I am using Virtualmin on my server, is there any "copy"
> script so I could make a copy of default Drupal instance inside the
> /home/domain/html path?

For a list of file, just grab the drupal rpm and do:

repoquery --list package-name.rpm

For the rest you should read an Apache guide, there is plenty on the web
about virtual hosts etc.

cheers,

Andrea