Old 12-17-2010, 10:07 AM
"Baptiste AGASSE"

Default CentOS and rhn tools

Hi all,

I used cobbler to manage my CentOS 5.x repos and kickstarts, but Spacewalk
is now a more mature project and so I start to use it, but as you know it
works with rhn-* tools.

Do rhn tools becomes available in future versions of CentOS (CentOS 5.6,
CentOS 6...) ?

Regards.

Baptiste.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Marcus Moeller

Dear Baptiste.

> I used cobbler to manage my CentOS 5.x repos and kickstarts, but Spacewalk
> is now a more mature project and so I start to use it, but as you know it
> works with rhn-* tools.
>
> Do rhn tools becomes available in future versions of CentOS (CentOS 5.6,
> CentOS 6...) ?

If you Kickstart your systems through Spacewalk (that's what it's
meant for) you can associate a Channel containing the Tools to the
Kickstart Profile.

The packages in there will be available during installation phase
(before system registration) as well. So there is not need for having
them in CentOS.

Kind Regards
Marcus

Old 12-17-2010, 01:58 PM
"Florian CROUZAT"

> > Do rhn tools becomes available in future versions of CentOS (CentOS 5.6,
> > CentOS 6...) ?
>
> If you Kickstart your systems through Spacewalk (that's what it's
> meant for) you can associate a Channel containing the Tools to the
> Kickstart Profile.
>
> The packages in there will be available during installation phase
> (before system registration) as well. So there is not need for having
> them in CentOS.

1/ One thing I don't understand is that spacewalk automagically appends this
kind of %post code in my kickstarts:
"rhnreg_ks --serverUrl=https:// ..." to register the newly kickstarted VM,
which is fine because I want that.
But the thing is, rhn* tools aren't installed automatically, breaking the
registration process, of course.
Why spacewalk produce a code that assumes things are there when they aren't
is the first thing I don't get.

2/ The next step for me was "It's simple, I'll add this packages
(rhn-client-tools, etc) in my %packages part", sadly,
it doesn't work either because it doesn't know the centos-5-spacewalk-client
repo, even though it's a child repo from
the activation key I checked. ==> Of course it didn't worked because if I
understand this correctly,
my activation key is only used to register my VM, allowing me to access the
[child]repos linked to this key
and it's only in these repos that the command "rhnreg_ks" is available !
There's a "who comes first" problem here, no ?

I finally got the auto registration to work by manually checking the child
repos I needed to make the rhn* rpms available in %packages
(even though the tips says one shouldn't because it will be overridden by
the activation key, but because of problem 2/ it doesn't).
Using this, I finally got my VM to register.... yay :|

Florian.