Old 12-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Peter A

Default Why does CentOS 5 claim to be i386 compatible when it's really not?

Martin,

its the US - nobody takes things as literal as someone speaking German...

Over the past few years, i386 has become a synonym for 32bit rather than "it
will run on a 80386". The RPM package for the kernel is correctly labeled as
i686, its just the name of the distro that remained i386.
The main reason for the higher requirements is the CMOV instruction. Search
google for i386 CMOV and you will find the reason why and that this affects most
other distributions the same way.

Peter.

--
Censorship: noun, circa 1591. a: Relief of the burden of independent thinking.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Paulo Martinez

Am 12.12.2010 um 22:35 schrieb Martin Jungowski:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I've tried to install CentOS 5.5 i386 on an AMD Geode LX 800
> processor.

Installing SL5 on AMD Geode LX80

http://wiki.keithl.com/index.cgi?SL5Alix

> That processor, being of the much more recent i586 family, is fully
> i386-
> compatible. However, my attempt was brutally shattered when I had to

"brutally shattered" - What does that mean? Maybe a thermal issue ?)

> This is more of a general issue. i386 does not generally refer to
> "whatever x86-compatible processor is the most recent" but a very well
> defined and standardized architecture. Specifically, i386 refers to
> Intels 80386 processor and its 32-bit x86 architecture (which is why
> x86
> are i386 are often used interchangeably when x86 should instead be
> referring to the 8086 architecture). Code that claims to be i386
> compatible has to run on any given microprocessor that claims to be
> i386
> compatible. It's as simple as that: if it doesn't run on i386
> processors
> then it's not i386 compatible. That's industry standard and thus
> universally valid. If one would claim i386 compatibility but require a
> x86_64 compatible processor, which of course would be capable of
> executing standard i386 code, it'd be the exact same issue. It'd be
> more
> radical but at its core not different from CentOS's unmet claim of
> i386
> copmpatibility.
>
> I guess my question is thus quite simple: why does CentOS 5 claim to
> be
> i386 when it's not even remotely i386 compatible? And shouldn't the
> name
> reflect code and/or processor family compatibility and affiliation?
>
> And in a closely related question of more personal interest: what
> exactly
> is it that makes CentOS require an i686 processor?
>
> Thanks,
> Martin

Sorry Martin but the rest reads like a pressure blowout.

Sincerely

PM