Old 12-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Filip Bartmann

Default CentOS 5 or 6

I need to start my server in Janurary 2011, so I need to know when it's planned to release CentOS 6 to make decisiion if I use current CentOS 5 or CentOS 6 on this server. Plan you release CentOS 6 to January 2011?

Thank's for your response
Filip Bartmann

Old 12-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Fabian Arrotin

Filip Bartmann wrote:
> I need to start my server in Janurary 2011, so I need to know when it's planned to release CentOS 6 to make decisiion if I use current CentOS 5 or CentOS 6 on this server. Plan you release CentOS 6 to January 2011?
>
> Thank's for your response

There is no release date, no planning, no nothing ...

Fabian Arrotin

Old 12-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Stefan Held

Am Mittwoch, den 08.12.2010, 10:50 +0100 schrieb Filip Bartmann:
> I need to start my server in Janurary 2011, so I need to know
> when it's planned to release CentOS 6 to make decisiion if I use current CentOS 5
> or CentOS 6 on this server. Plan you release CentOS 6 to January 2011?

You could download a RHEL Test Version, install it, use it.
Then wait till Centos 6 comes out.

You would have to switch just 2 rpms from Centos and make a yum update.

If you are really that impatiant

Maybe we could help more if we knew what software is supposed to run on
this machine. If you install a jdk and tomcat there is no difference.

If you need a php system it would help waiting for Centos 6 cause the
5.1 Stack in 5.5 is outdated.

Another Tipp. This is the Devel list. The User list would be much more
propriate for such a discussion.

Greetings

--

Stefan Held VI has only 2 Modes:
obi unixkiste org The first one is for beeping all the time,

Old 12-09-2010, 02:40 AM
Douglas McClendon

On 12/08/2010 04:17 AM, Stefan Held wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 08.12.2010, 10:50 +0100 schrieb Filip Bartmann:
>> I need to start my server in Janurary 2011, so I need to know
>> when it's planned to release CentOS 6 to make decisiion if I use current CentOS 5
>> or CentOS 6 on this server. Plan you release CentOS 6 to January 2011?
>
> You could download a RHEL Test Version, install it, use it.
> Then wait till Centos 6 comes out.

I also just discovered Scientific Linux's rolling 6 alpha. Which
incidentally may be of vast help in CentOS's audit, as you can just look
at their public rolling alpha packages as a reasonable reference-
(seems to have a similar similar el6 vs sl6 filename convention for
packages with brand stripped)

http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6rolling/

-dmc