Old 12-02-2010, 09:28 AM
Leonard den Ottolander

Default Stripping SRPM payload

Hello Karanbir,

On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 02:29 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Patches for branding issues need to be done at the srpm payload level,
> and not as a patch in the .spec

Is that really necessary? The original SRPMs with the "offending"
payload are freely available and if I'm not mistaken redistributable
under the GPL (IANAL). If you'd just patch the spec file to replace that
content that would fix the RPMs that will be build from it. What legal
requirement is there to strip those SRPMs?

Regards,
Leonard.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Matt Rose

> Hello Karanbir,
>
> On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 02:29 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Patches for branding issues need to be done at the srpm payload level,
>> and not as a patch in the .spec
>
> Is that really necessary? The original SRPMs with the "offending"
> payload are freely available and if I'm not mistaken redistributable
> under the GPL (IANAL). If you'd just patch the spec file to replace that
> content that would fix the RPMs that will be build from it. What legal
> requirement is there to strip those SRPMs?

I'm not privy to anything, but I imagine a lot of the images are
registered trademarks. GPL doesn't (nor shouldn't) cover these.

See the whole Firefox v. Debian debate a few years back. RedHat would, I
think, be pretty lenient on CentOS TM violations, but only if Karanbir et
al were vigilant about stripping trademarked stuff out.

Matt