Old 11-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Karanbir Singh

Default minimal install CentOS-6 media

hi,

so in order to quantify exactly what should be on the minimal install set :

- support install from optical media
- support install from usb disk

- install as native platform
+ install to Xen domU
+ install to kvm VM

- Functional on post-install
+ firstboot ( for hooks etc that people put in )
+ yum with the standard centos repos
+ sshd
+ selinux
+ functional dhcp client
+ functional ipv6 stack + ipv4 stack
+ iptables and ip6tables

Questions;

* What else should added in ?

* Should we remove some more excess ?

* what is the thinking on lsb state for this media ?

* Finally, I am conflicted on the idea of dropping the gui installer
completely. On one hand, we could claw back serious disk space - on the
other hand, it drastically changes the install experience. Tbh, the
install experience is a bigger deal. But worth pointing out.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:41 AM
"Morten P.D. Stevens"

2010/11/29 Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org>:
> hi,
>
> so in order to quantify exactly what should be on the minimal install set :
>
> Questions;

Hi Karanbir,

Do you know the RHEL 6 CD called "Network Install and Recovery Disc"? (222 MB)

My suggestion would be to do the same.

Best regards,

Morten

Old 11-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Manuel Wolfshant

On 11/29/2010 02:30 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> hi,
>
> so in order to quantify exactly what should be on the minimal install set :
>
> - support install from optical media
> - support install from usb disk
>
> - install as native platform
> + install to Xen domU
> + install to kvm VM
>
> - Functional on post-install
> + firstboot ( for hooks etc that people put in )
> + yum with the standard centos repos
> + sshd
> + selinux
> + functional dhcp client
> + functional ipv6 stack + ipv4 stack
> + iptables and ip6tables

https://nazar.karan.org/cgit/bluecain/tree/ks-minimalC5-64.cfg is my
idea of a minimal install. It lacks xen/kvm support however which
probably should be in.

> Questions;
>
> * What else should added in ?
if we go with "minimal", that would be a reasonable list. if we go with
"server", I'd add mysql, apache, postfix + basic php . maybe even
dovecot + php-imap.
> * Should we remove some more excess ?
>
> * what is the thinking on lsb state for this media ?
/me never really cared about lsb* packages

> * Finally, I am conflicted on the idea of dropping the gui installer
> completely. On one hand, we could claw back serious disk space - on the
> other hand, it drastically changes the install experience. Tbh, the
> install experience is a bigger deal. But worth pointing out.
Please don't. The installer is the first major experience and even real
professionals do not need/use it, the rest of the universe uses it as a
first factor for decision.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Tim Verhoeven

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

> so in order to quantify exactly what should be on the minimal install set :
>
> - support install from optical media
> - support install from usb disk
>
> - install as native platform
> + install to Xen domU
> + install to kvm VM
>
> - Functional on post-install
> + firstboot ( for hooks etc that people put in )
> + yum with the standard centos repos
> + sshd
> + selinux
> + functional dhcp client
> + functional ipv6 stack + ipv4 stack
> + iptables and ip6tables

A list from my kickstarts :

+ ntp
+ wget and/or links
+ rsync
+ telnet (as a test tool)

> Questions;
>
> * What else should added in ?
>
> * Should we remove some more excess ?
>
> * what is the thinking on lsb state for this media ?
>
> * Finally, I am conflicted on the idea of dropping the gui installer
> completely. On one hand, we could claw back serious disk space - on the
> other hand, it drastically changes the install experience. Tbh, the
> install experience is a bigger deal. But worth pointing out.

And the problem that the text interfance does not support LVM (at
least in 5, I don't know if they added that in 6) and there are
problably other features that are only in the GUI interface.

Regards,
Tim

Hoping the problem* magically goes away* by ignoring it is the
(Linus Torvalds)

Old 11-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 11/29/2010 12:41 PM, Morten P.D. Stevens wrote:
> Do you know the RHEL 6 CD called "Network Install and Recovery Disc"? (222 MB)

I think you misunderstood. We are attempting to create an install media,
not just an anaconda runtime that needs the internet to install from.
the minimal install should give you a usable system, even in a
non-internet-connected machine.

the main netboot-rescue.iso will be output as a part of the main distro
install anyway ( as it is in centos3/4/5 )

- KB

Old 11-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 11/29/2010 12:41 PM, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> https://nazar.karan.org/cgit/bluecain/tree/ks-minimalC5-64.cfg is my
> idea of a minimal install. It lacks xen/kvm support however which
> probably should be in.

ok, lets see if we can get a package manifest together based on that. it
should be a good start.

> if we go with "minimal", that would be a reasonable list. if we go with
> "server", I'd add mysql, apache, postfix + basic php . maybe even
> dovecot + php-imap.

Would that make it more of a SMB-server install ? On the other hand,
maybe an smtp server might be a good idea. I guess we need to support
mdadm and lvm on the install too.

> Please don't. The installer is the first major experience and even real
> professionals do not need/use it, the rest of the universe uses it as a
> first factor for decision.

right, and all the docs and help around from people would rely on a
consistent install experience across all media / types etc. So lets not
drop the gui install, that ties in with Tim's comments as well.

- KB

Old 11-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 11/29/2010 12:47 PM, Tim Verhoeven wrote:
> + wget and/or links

would curl do ?

> And the problem that the text interfance does not support LVM (at
> least in 5, I don't know if they added that in 6) and there are
> problably other features that are only in the GUI interface.

yea, noted.

- KB

Old 11-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Markus Falb

On 29.11.10 13:47, Tim Verhoeven wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

>> Questions;
>>
>> * What else should added in ?
>>
>> * Should we remove some more excess ?
>>
>> * what is the thinking on lsb state for this media ?

> And the problem that the text interfance does not support LVM (at
> least in 5, I don't know if they added that in 6) and there are
> problably other features that are only in the GUI interface.

I think the text installer lacks some other features as well, like
installation to iscsi targets.

--
Markus

Old 11-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Manuel Wolfshant

On 11/29/2010 02:47 PM, Tim Verhoeven wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Karanbir Singh<mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
>> so in order to quantify exactly what should be on the minimal install set :
>>
>> - support install from optical media
>> - support install from usb disk
>>
>> - install as native platform
>> + install to Xen domU
>> + install to kvm VM
>>
>> - Functional on post-install
>> + firstboot ( for hooks etc that people put in )
>> + yum with the standard centos repos
>> + sshd
>> + selinux
>> + functional dhcp client
>> + functional ipv6 stack + ipv4 stack
>> + iptables and ip6tables
> A list from my kickstarts :
>
> + ntp
> + wget and/or links
> + rsync
> + telnet (as a test tool)

+1 on all the above

>> Questions;
>>
>> * What else should added in ?
>>
>> * Should we remove some more excess ?
>>
>> * what is the thinking on lsb state for this media ?
>>
>> * Finally, I am conflicted on the idea of dropping the gui installer
>> completely. On one hand, we could claw back serious disk space - on the
>> other hand, it drastically changes the install experience. Tbh, the
>> install experience is a bigger deal. But worth pointing out.
> And the problem that the text interfance does not support LVM (at
> least in 5, I don't know if they added that in 6) and there are
> problably other features that are only in the GUI interface.
right. LVM and RAID should definitely be in, from all points of view.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Les Mikesell

On 11/29/10 6:30 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> hi,
>
> so in order to quantify exactly what should be on the minimal install set :
>
> - support install from optical media
> - support install from usb disk
>
> - install as native platform
> + install to Xen domU
> + install to kvm VM
>
> - Functional on post-install
> + firstboot ( for hooks etc that people put in )
> + yum with the standard centos repos
> + sshd
> + selinux
> + functional dhcp client
> + functional ipv6 stack + ipv4 stack
> + iptables and ip6tables
>
> Questions;
>
> * What else should added in ?
>
> * Should we remove some more excess ?
>
> * what is the thinking on lsb state for this media ?
>
> * Finally, I am conflicted on the idea of dropping the gui installer
> completely. On one hand, we could claw back serious disk space - on the
> other hand, it drastically changes the install experience. Tbh, the
> install experience is a bigger deal. But worth pointing out.

The real constraint should be what fits on a single CD. Ideally, the GUI
installer including the reverse-vnc functionality would all be there if it fits.
It would be even better if you could make that come up working without any
local questions in a machine with one connected network cable and local dhcp.
This would be mostly for people who don't have pxe/kickstart infrastructure in
the location where the install is being done, but to make the circle complete it
should support kickstart with an http url on the command line or perhaps added
in a modified USB version, and it should be possible to kickstart into the same
set of packages from the full distribution with a matching package list.

I'd want it to function as the 'rescue' media as well as install, so include
anything else needed for that functionality. I've sometimes needed to fdisk my
own partition layout to get things the way I like for a raid configuration, so
include that. Others have already mentioned network copying tools:
ftp/scp/rsync/wget, etc., and you would need network setup and test tools
(mii-tool, ethtool, route, ip, ping, etc.) if they aren't already needed for the
installer.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com