Old 11-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Greg Bailey

Default Considering repo re-structuring

Morten P.D. Stevens wrote:
> 2010/11/26 Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org>:
>

>> What about the fact that we've always had a single merged distro layout
>> for 2.1/3/4/5 ? There is a fairly consistent user experience and user
>> expectation built around that as well, right ?
>>

> That's a good question. In recent years the size of all linux distibutions is greatly increased.
>
> The other possibility: We make 2 DVDs for CentOS6 containing all packages.
> In any case, I would appreciate if we offer a network install CD like Red Hat.

Just out of curiosity, what is the total size of server + workstation?
(I only have access to RHEL 6 Server DVD, so I don't know how much
Workstation adds to it). I'm guessing most CentOS 6 users would use the
Server variant over the Workstation variant, so would it be possible to
mostly combine them, but move some of the really heavy stuff (i.e.
OpenOffice, eclipse, etc.) to the 2nd DVD?

-Greg

Old 11-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 11/26/2010 05:06 PM, Jean-Marc Liger wrote:
> Something which focus on what was the CentOS 4 Server CD is a good target.
> We could base it on some current Group Install Options like "CentOS//
> Server (GUI)".

Thats possible, but we should try and consider what the install package
sets are on the upstream product and see if its possible to match that
in some way.

w.r.t ServerCD-4, i just went with the most common server packages ( as
measured by download numbers on mirror.c.o ); that worked as an
additional install media, over and above the main distro CD/DVD set, but
if we are going to have something like this for our main install media I
feel trying to get close to the upstream product might be a good idea.

what do you think ?

- KB

Old 11-26-2010, 05:32 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 11/26/2010 05:54 PM, Marcus Moeller wrote:
> +1 for an optional repository.
> I like the name

I am not sold on the idea of calling it 'optional' - as mentioned
before, we dont really have a supported and optional model in CentOS.
Does everyone really want to go with the 'optional' name ?

> Besides that I am not a fan of different installation medias for
> workstation and server. One of the advantages of CentOS always was to
> allow installation of both with one media kit.

cool!

- KB

Old 11-26-2010, 05:33 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 11/26/2010 05:54 PM, Marcus Moeller wrote:
> Besides that I am not a fan of different installation medias for
> workstation and server. One of the advantages of CentOS always was to
> allow installation of both with one media kit.

As a second point of interest : we now have a 2 disk C5/x86_64 install
dvd set. How did other projects react to this, specially ones associated
with the media format : spacewalk & cobbler etc ?

- KB

Old 11-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Ned Slider

On 26/11/10 11:52, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Some micro-conversations have taken place around this issue on various
> venues and its worth bringing all that together into one place.
>
> With EL6, the rpmlist has grown quite a bit, also there are components
> that Red Hat ship out in their 'optional' repo. Which are not available
> on the main isos. Or so I've been told - if you can verify that, please do.

Yes, that's correct.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Marcus Moeller

2010/11/26 Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org>:
> On 11/26/2010 05:54 PM, Marcus Moeller wrote:
>> Besides that I am not a fan of different installation medias for
>> workstation and server. One of the advantages of CentOS always was to
>> allow installation of both with one media kit.
>
> As a second point of interest : we now have a 2 disk C5/x86_64 install
> dvd set. How did other projects react to this, specially ones associated
> with the media format : spacewalk & cobbler etc ?

For Spacewalk you only need to import the boot images and mirror the
repositories to channels. No need to work with media here.

I have never used cobbler import so I cannot say much about it.

--
Greets
Marcus

Old 11-26-2010, 05:45 PM
Karanbir Singh

Hi,

On 11/26/2010 06:43 PM, Marcus Moeller wrote:
> For Spacewalk you only need to import the boot images and mirror the
> repositories to channels. No need to work with media here.

So just to confirm : mirror the repo's is something one would do
over-the-net ? You cant use local isos or media for this ?

- KB

Old 11-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Ned Slider

On 26/11/10 17:56, Greg Bailey wrote:
> Morten P.D. Stevens wrote:
>> 2010/11/26 Karanbir Singh<mail-lists@karan.org>:
>>

>>> What about the fact that we've always had a single merged distro layout
>>> for 2.1/3/4/5 ? There is a fairly consistent user experience and user
>>> expectation built around that as well, right ?
>>>

>> That's a good question. In recent years the size of all linux distibutions is greatly increased.
>>
>> The other possibility: We make 2 DVDs for CentOS6 containing all packages.
>> In any case, I would appreciate if we offer a network install CD like Red Hat.
>>

> Just out of curiosity, what is the total size of server + workstation?
> (I only have access to RHEL 6 Server DVD, so I don't know how much
> Workstation adds to it).

Don't know as I don't have a Workstation subscription either, but the
64-bit multilib Server DVD is 3273MB containing 3432 packages, and the
optional channel contains a further 2672 packages (there might be a few
errata in there by now so it might actually be a few less than that).

Personally I would suggest a 2 DVD set for everything, and a somewhat
lighter "Server" DVD as per upstream that has room to grow during
subsequent update releases. That combined with the minimal network
install ISO image should cover most people's requirements?

Old 11-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Marcus Moeller

Hi,

> On 11/26/2010 06:43 PM, Marcus Moeller wrote:
>> For Spacewalk you only need to import the boot images and mirror the
>> repositories to channels. No need to work with media here.
>
> So just to confirm : mirror the repo's is something one would do
> over-the-net ? You cant use local isos or media for this ?

I would do so. Spacewalk now got a very good integrated repository
management and mirroring component.

As mentioned 'cobbler import' could also import from media but I am
not sure if that would work with two disks. For Spacewalk this is also
not a common way to go, but maybe for a standalone cobbler setup.

--
Greets
Marcus

Old 11-26-2010, 06:08 PM
"Morten P.D. Stevens"

2010/11/26 Ned Slider <ned@unixmail.co.uk>:

> Personally I would suggest a 2 DVD set for everything, and a somewhat
> lighter "Server" DVD as per upstream that has room to grow during
> subsequent update releases. That combined with the minimal network
> install ISO image should cover most people's requirements?

This is the best option.

Best regards,

Morten