Old 11-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Karanbir Singh

Default Considering repo re-structuring

Hi Guys,

Some micro-conversations have taken place around this issue on various
venues and its worth bringing all that together into one place.

With EL6, the rpmlist has grown quite a bit, also there are components
that Red Hat ship out in their 'optional' repo. Which are not available
on the main isos. Or so I've been told - if you can verify that, please do.

The other thing to keep in mind is that we have always merged in all
packages from various variants that upstream ship - making all packages
available to everyone was always the aim.

So traditionally, CentOS has maintained the distro repositories in 2 url's:

[os]
[updates]

with [os] reflecting whats on the isos/; as close to exactly as possible.

With CentOS-6, we might need to reconsider that - there is way too much
content to fit onto a single DVD. And having the main distro on multiple
DVD's might be an option, but is that the best option ?

to expand on that option, we could merge in all packages, built a DVD
iso set ( 2 or 3 disks, whatever is needed ), stick with the [os] and
[updates] repo's on mirror.c.o - and then potentially consider doing
some 'slimmer' options. eg: CentOS-6-Minimal, or CentOS-6-SMB-Server etc.

The other option is to split the repos into
[os]
[updates]
[optional] {1}
[optional-updates] {2}

{1} or use a better / different name
{2} do we even need the second -updates, we could go with what the
present policy w.r.t centosplus/extras is - and drop updates into the
same repo

Then stick with what we have done in the past, use the isos to reflect
whats in [os], create the ability for people to use the [optional] repo
at install time and go with that. The iso content would be dictated by
the merged iso contents from upstream, so we retain the CentOS <= 5
process in that regard.

Continuing on the same idea, one thing that came up was reporpose the
Extras/ repo and use that to host these 'additional/optional' packages.
Given that it changes a massive user expectation - unless there is very
good reasoning to do this, lets try and avoid this.

- KB

Old 11-26-2010, 11:18 AM
JohnS

On Fri, 2010-11-26 at 11:52 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:

Boot disk on mirrors is needed. Maybe a server install disc. What
about CD Install discs

> The other option is to split the repos into
> [os]
> [updates]
> [optional] {1}
> [optional-updates] {2}

[OS]
[Updates] <-- To contain all Updates
[Optional]

It really does not make sense to have two Update directories for the
repo.

John

Old 11-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 11/26/2010 12:18 PM, JohnS wrote:
> Boot disk on mirrors is needed. Maybe a server install disc. What
> about CD Install discs

the usual network-install iso will get built anyway. We could then do a
'something like a server disk', but we would need to get our heads in
and come up with a name. we cant call it 'server' since there is an
upstream product by that name. Also, we would need some sort of a
process to decide on pkg list.

Wolfy setup a quiz interface the other day, maybe if people want to get
in their ideas of 'name of this cd iso' we can get a poll going to a
wider audience. </just thinking out loud at this stage>

> [OS]
> [Updates]<-- To contain all Updates
> [Optional]
>
> It really does not make sense to have two Update directories for the
> repo.

the problem with that would be : yum would see pkgs from the
optional-updates, by default. While people might have the optional repo
disabled.

- KB