Old 11-24-2010, 06:50 AM
Leonard den Ottolander

Default glibc x86_64 vs. i686 file conflict when building from sources

Hi,

On Tue, 2010-11-23 at 23:57 +0100, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> So I built the x86_64
> version with a plain rpmbuild. For the i686 I used mock.

On the base system I did forget to install redhat-rpm-config. Even
though this will not make the build fail it does result in a much bigger
glibc-2.12-1.7.el6.x86_64.rpm as compared to the original
glibc-2.12-1.4.el6.x86_64.rpm, even though almost all of the files
inside are identical in size. I suppose the difference in file size is
caused by the lack of brp-compress and the invocation of it after the
build.

Since the macros file is missing too
%_binary_filedigest_algorithm 8
is not set when building on the base system. This option sets the
FILEDIGEST checksum to use SHA-256 instead of MD5. Could this be the
cause for rpm not to consider the config and document files from the
x86_64 and i686 glibc rpms to be identical?

Regards,
Leonard.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Leonard den Ottolander

Hello Sergio,

On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 10:23 +0100, Sergio Rubio wrote:
> Had a few issues building x86_64 gcc from upstream rhel6 sources also.
> I was building using a beta2 workstation install.

> I've shared them in case you are interested:

What I'm doing is a fun build, so thanks for the offer but I will
continue building this system by myself.

Building both glibc's in a mock root (with redhat-rpm-config) installed
resulted in two rpms that did not conflict with one another, so I could
continue building gcc in the updated mock root. The x86_64 version
compiled fine so far, going to start the i686 build in a minute. I
suppose my guess that the difference in check summing in the original
builds was the cause of my issue was right. At least it had something to
do with the macro setup as the absence of redhat-rpm-config was the only
difference in both build environments.

Regards,
Leonard.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:25 PM
Leonard den Ottolander

Hello Sergio,

On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 12:50 +0100, Sergio Rubio wrote:
> If you could share the mock config used after that, If'd greatly
> appreciate it.

I'm using the epel-6-x86_64 and epel-6-i386 configs from the rebuilt
Fedora 14 1.1.6-1 srpm - you need pigz from Fedora too -, enabling the
beta and beta-optional repos. (Some of the devel packages are only
available in beta-optional.) To this I added a local repo
"updates" (using a file:// baseurl) - I commented out the default
"updates" repo to avoid naming conflicts but you could use a different
name instead - to which I copy the resulting rpms. This way the build
roots automatically get updated with the fresh rpms after an invocation
of
$ creatrepo .
in the repo directory and a subsequent mock rebuild.

Since binutils didn't need an update going from 6beta to 6 I currently
only have the mock roots patched with the glibc-2.12-1.7.el6 and related
rpms. Next I will be adding the gcc-4.4.4-13.el6 and related rpms so
subsequent packages will be build with the new compiler.

Regards,
Leonard.