-   -   glibc x86_64 vs. i686 file conflict when building from sources (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-development/456766-glibc-x86_64-vs-i686-file-conflict-when-building-sources.html)

Leonard den Ottolander 11-23-2010 09:57 PM

glibc x86_64 vs. i686 file conflict when building from sources

Hi,

(Posting on this list instead of a RHEL list as even though strictly
speaking this is a RHEL issue I expect CentOS developers to be familiar
with the problem I'm running into.)

I am trying to build the RHEL 6 sources on top of RHEL 6 beta on an AMD
x86_64. I thought I start by updating glibc to the current version
before continuing with building gcc. The build of gcc requires both
x86_64 and i686 versions of glibc to be available. So I built the x86_64
version with a plain rpmbuild. For the i686 I used mock.

Now when I try to update both glibc's I get conflicts between the
configuration and documentation files of both rpms. That issue does not
exist with the original rpms, I can install both versions without
running into conflicts.

Is there a way around this conflict without forcing the upgrade? How
come the original rpms don't have this conflict? Is it just a matter of
the dates on those files being different, and if so, how would I build
the rpms for both archs in one run so the dates do not conflict?

Any thoughts, pointers and elaboration on the subject is welcome.

Regards,
Leonard.