Old 11-23-2010, 03:15 PM
R P Herrold

Default Trademarked content hunt

I see a bug filing, done merely by looking for certain words,
perhaps with find and grep on an exploded tree. This is
probably not helpful

The issue is NOT if a word form or file name containing the
word fragments 'hat' and 'red' is present. Rather it is if a
formal TRADEMARK (as opposed to mere identification) of ANY
other party, or non-free (i.e., copyrighted and not under a
GPL [former approach] or CC [present approach] or other freely
redistributable license) images are present

The mere 'use' of the word fragments when used as identifiers
is not a problem -- if that file is under the GPL, etc, it is
free for reuse without change; if it IS changed, or a
derivative work produced from teh sources that generate that
file, we need to be sensitive to maintaining the COPYING and
copyright trail, so a 'light touch' and thoughtful changes,
rather than simply running a 'sed' bulldozer through a
srouce tree is in order

Turning to the upstream sources, Red Hat initially isolated
this type of content to two packages:
redhat-artwork
and the install time 'images' file for anaconda

In recent upstream product, I also see;
redhat-logos

Over time, Fedora has acted to track down and get licenses
cleaned up and reviewed, and we benefit from that effort

We at CentOS may WANT to alter a given piece of branding art,
but please do not conflate what we must do with what is merely
a potential 'want'

-- Russ herrold

Old 11-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Marcus Moeller

Hi all.

> Turning to the upstream sources, Red Hat initially isolated
> this type of content to two packages:
> * * redhat-artwork
> and the install time 'images' file for anaconda

It does no longer seem to be available.

> In recent upstream product, I also see;
> * * * redhat-logos

This has recently been finished and I am going to take care of the few
other icons that wolfy has found in some packages. Maybe we should
also report these upstream as Red Hat also targets towards packaging
them in redhat-logos.

--
Greets
Marcus

Old 11-23-2010, 07:39 PM
"James A. Peltier"

One item that I see was missed in CentOS 5 would be applications like eclipse. These contain the name Red Hat, should we report others?

| > Turning to the upstream sources, Red Hat initially isolated
| > this type of content to two packages:
| > * * redhat-artwork
| > and the install time 'images' file for anaconda
|
| It does no longer seem to be available.
|
| > In recent upstream product, I also see;
| > * * * redhat-logos
|
| This has recently been finished and I am going to take care of the few
| other icons that wolfy has found in some packages. Maybe we should
| also report these upstream as Red Hat also targets towards packaging
| them in redhat-logos.
|
| --
| Greets
| Marcus

James A. Peltier
Systems Analyst (FASNet), VIVARIUM Technical Director
Phone : 778-782-6573
Fax : 778-782-3045
E-Mail : jpeltier@sfu.ca
Website : http://www.fas.sfu.ca | http://vivarium.cs.sfu.ca
http://blogs.sfu.ca/people/jpeltier
MSN : subatomic_spam@hotmail.com

Old 11-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 11/23/2010 08:39 PM, James A. Peltier wrote:
> One item that I see was missed in CentOS 5 would be applications like eclipse. These contain the name Red Hat, should we report others?

if it says something that indicates to the user they might be running a
Red Hat build or they might be using it on a Red Hat distro/os/platform
- then please file it. We can always discuss it there.

And you can still file such issues against centos-5, its an ongoing
effort not a open/shut situation. So we can still fix stuff in the next
version

- KB