Old 11-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Fabian Arrotin

Default CentOS Font

Marcus Moeller wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I know it's quite late for changes and I am sorry for not coming up
> with the following issue earlier.
>
> The CentOS logo makes use of a commercial font called Denmark.

Hmm, no, the name seems to be HandelGotDBol, but that's a detail though :-)

> It would be great if we could replace it with a free font.
+100 :-)

> My suggestion is Vegur from arro.
>
> I have created a logo using this found which could be found here:
>
> http://www.marcus-moeller.de/share/new_logo_plain.png
>
> note: it's white on transparent bg which might be displayed as white
> on white in your browser so use your preferred image viewer instead.
>
> Please let me know your comments.
Not exactly 100% the same but i like it though : just close enough to
follow the previous font guideline and at least using a free font for a
free distro makes sense

Fabian Arrotin

Old 11-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Marcus Moeller

Dear Fabian,

>> I know it's quite late for changes and I am sorry for not coming up
>> with the following issue earlier.
>>
>> The CentOS logo makes use of a commercial font called Denmark.
>
> Hmm, no, the name seems to be HandelGotDBol, but that's a detail though :-)

At least not since Alain or I do the artwork. We've used Denmark from the start:

http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/Fonts

--
Greets
Marcus

Old 11-16-2010, 07:31 AM
Marcus Moeller

Dear Ralph, Dear Karan.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:44 AM
Christoph Maser

Am Dienstag, den 16.11.2010, 09:31 +0100 schrieb Marcus Moeller:
> Dear Ralph, Dear Karan.
>
> > I know it's quite late for changes and I am sorry for not coming up
> > with the following issue earlier.
> >
> > The CentOS logo makes use of a commercial font called Denmark.
> >
> > It would be great if we could replace it with a free font.
> >
> > My suggestion is Vegur from arro.
> >
> > I have created a logo using this found which could be found here:
> >
> > http://www.marcus-moeller.de/share/new_logo_plain.png
> >
> > note: it's white on transparent bg which might be displayed as white
> > on white in your browser so use your preferred image viewer instead.
> >

> Please let me know your comments.

I like it.

Chris

Old 11-16-2010, 09:15 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 11/14/2010 07:23 PM, Marcus Moeller wrote:
> The CentOS logo makes use of a commercial font called Denmark.
> It would be great if we could replace it with a free font.

I'd like to keep the logo and branding in distro + font with the logo
consistent with what we have in centos-3/4/5

> Please let me know your comments.

Sounds like something good to target with 6.1, it would mean looking at
the implications of changing the entire artwork stuff.

- KB

Old 11-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 11/14/2010 07:58 PM, Marcus Moeller wrote:
> At least not since Alain or I do the artwork. We've used Denmark from the start:
> http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/Fonts

Might be my bad memory acting up again, but did we actually discuss this
change and decide to change the font ? If we did, why didn't we change
it across the board everywhere ?

- KB

Old 11-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Marcus Moeller

Dear Karan,

>> At least not since Alain or I do the artwork. We've used Denmark from the start:
>> http://wiki.centos.org/ArtWork/Fonts
>
> Might be my bad memory acting up again, but did we actually discuss this
> change and decide to change the font ? If we did, why didn't we change
> it across the board everywhere ?

I have once suggested to change the font but did not come up with an
alternative to stick with. Of course, If we change it, this needs to
be implemented everywhere, But the distro itself is a good point to
start. I personally would suggest to change it with 6.0 and not within
a minor release or in 7.0.

--
Greets
Marcus

Old 11-16-2010, 09:30 AM
Karanbir Singh

Hi Marcus,

On 11/16/2010 10:23 AM, Marcus Moeller wrote:
> I have once suggested to change the font but did not come up with an
> alternative to stick with. Of course, If we change it, this needs to
> be implemented everywhere, But the distro itself is a good point to
> start. I personally would suggest to change it with 6.0 and not within
> a minor release or in 7.0.

I see what you are saying, and I agree with you. However, we have
changed artwork mid release. And I think doing something as major as
changing branding is quite an extensive piece of work, we would need to
not only look at what needs to change and the changes to make, but also
implications with other things - including how people identify CentOS or
promote it on their own sites etc.

If we were to make a push now, I fear we might just end up with another
fragment in another part of the overall picture. I also take on board
that the artwork team is a bit slim in numbers and we need to do
something to prop those up a bit - the scope of what we are looking at
here could potentially be massive. And given that we have a distro to
get out, focus on just that one aspect might be worthwhile. What do you
think ?

I would request you to consider that, and perhaps put down some sort of
a timeframe over a few weeks - perhaps Jan 2011 to March 2011 where we
put in whatever resources we have, put down whatever points needs to be
addressed and we go for it there.

- KB

Old 11-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Marcus Moeller

Dear Karan.

>> I have once suggested to change the font but did not come up with an
>> alternative to stick with. Of course, If we change it, this needs to
>> be implemented everywhere, But the distro itself is a good point to
>> start. I personally would suggest to change it with 6.0 and not within
>> a minor release or in 7.0.
>
> I see what you are saying, and I agree with you. However, we have
> changed artwork mid release. And I think doing something as major as
> changing branding is quite an extensive piece of work, we would need to
> not only look at what needs to change and the changes to make, but also
> implications with other things - including how people identify CentOS or
> promote it on their own sites etc.
>
> If we were to make a push now, I fear we might just end up with another
> fragment in another part of the overall picture. I also take on board
> that the artwork team is a bit slim in numbers and we need to do
> something to prop those up a bit - the scope of what we are looking at
> here could potentially be massive. And given that we have a distro to
> get out, focus on just that one aspect might be worthwhile. What do you
> think ?

I understand your point and part wise agree. We already got a very
mixed environment (e.g. in web) which needs to be solved, too. A new
release is a good chance to do so, intermediate artwork changes are
not preferred but also an option.

> I would request you to consider that, and perhaps put down some sort of
> a timeframe over a few weeks - perhaps Jan 2011 to March 2011 where we
> put in whatever resources we have, put down whatever points needs to be
> addressed and we go for it there.

Yes, we could agree on that.

--
Greets
Marcus

Old 11-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 11/16/2010 12:01 PM, Marcus Moeller wrote:
>> I would request you to consider that, and perhaps put down some sort of
>> a timeframe over a few weeks - perhaps Jan 2011 to March 2011 where we
>> put in whatever resources we have, put down whatever points needs to be
>> addressed and we go for it there.
>
> Yes, we could agree on that.

Over the last few months there have been a bunch of people who have
offered to help build / rebuild / redesign / rewrite / improve the web
interfaces to the various web properties under *.centos.org ; I'll try
and see how many of them can be brought into the loop for the timeframe
mentioned above.

- KB