Old 11-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Karanbir Singh

Default helping with CentOS-6 - step-1

Hi,

So while we wait for the first set of packages to build the biggest
effort required is to find, confirm and patch those packages that have
upstream branding in them. And packages that need to be changed to work
within the centos ecosystem.

The aim is to find any mention of the upstream brands / trademarks and
content that might cause confusion as to what product the user is
running ( eg: %descriptions in spec files ). And when we find something
of this nature, file a report against the right centos-6/component on
http://bugs.centos.org/.

I've imported all the components of CentOS-6 into the bugs.c.o
interface, if there is anything missing please shout out. We might need
to add some down the road ( eg: centos-release-notes ), and remove some
( eg: RedHat-Release-Notes-* ), but most of the components should be
there now.

There is, an extremely brief, overview of the whole process at :
http://wiki.centos.org/QaWiki/6/Round1

Also, please leave issues assigned to the default 'Issue Tracker' role
account. The QA team members will assign the issues to themselves when
they do the reviews.

Keep in mind that if you need an installed system to do these tests (
like one would for the gnome/kde components ), you can use the
rhel6-beta2-refresh media. The package manifests have not changed much
from there to what's in release. so even if you were to go through the
beta2-refresh packages, that would help.

Thanks in advance to everyone who pitches in.

- KB

Old 11-12-2010, 03:28 AM
JohnS

On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 00:03 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> There is, an extremely brief, overview of the whole process at :
> http://wiki.centos.org/QaWiki/6/Round1
----
Nice write up and thanks for being more open about the process. Lets
try to open up more...

Now my Cheese with the Wine...

Under "Targets":
Ensure that all buildrequires and the minimum build chroot scripts are
setup

How can you you expect people to do so when there are no buildsys binary
or source rpm for CentOS 6? The closest match is the one for CentOS 5
[1]. Other than my own binary I have which may not justfy for CentOS
usage.

John

[1]
http://dev.centos.org/centos/buildsys/5/buildsys-build-0.5-6.el5.centos.7.noarch.rpm

Old 11-12-2010, 03:59 AM
seth vidal

On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 23:28 -0500, JohnS wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 00:03 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>
> > There is, an extremely brief, overview of the whole process at :
> > http://wiki.centos.org/QaWiki/6/Round1
> ----
> Nice write up and thanks for being more open about the process. Lets
> try to open up more...
>
> Now my Cheese with the Wine...
>
> Under "Targets":
> Ensure that all buildrequires and the minimum build chroot scripts are
> setup
>
> How can you you expect people to do so when there are no buildsys binary
> or source rpm for CentOS 6? The closest match is the one for CentOS 5
> [1]. Other than my own binary I have which may not justfy for CentOS
> usage.

Mock for fedora 13 uses the comps buildsys-build group.

from mock's f13 config

config_opts['chroot_setup_cmd'] = 'groupinstall buildsys-build'

and pkgs for epel6 are doing the same.

that comps is available here:
http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/repos/dist-6E-epel-build/latest/i386/repodata/comps.xml

that looks like what you want.

-sv

Old 11-12-2010, 04:22 AM
JohnS

On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 23:59 -0500, seth vidal wrote:

> Mock for fedora 13 uses the comps buildsys-build group.
>
> from mock's f13 config
>
> config_opts['chroot_setup_cmd'] = 'groupinstall buildsys-build'
>

> and pkgs for epel6 are doing the same.
>
> that comps is available here:
> http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/repos/dist-6E-epel-build/latest/i386/repodata/comps.xml
>
> that looks like what you want.
>
> -sv
----
I'll suffice with that for now. Thanks :-)

John

Old 11-12-2010, 08:36 AM
Farkas Levente

On 11/12/2010 05:59 AM, seth vidal wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 23:28 -0500, JohnS wrote:
>> On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 00:03 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>
>>> There is, an extremely brief, overview of the whole process at :
>>> http://wiki.centos.org/QaWiki/6/Round1
>> ----
>> Nice write up and thanks for being more open about the process. Lets
>> try to open up more...
>>
>> Now my Cheese with the Wine...
>>
>> Under "Targets":
>> Ensure that all buildrequires and the minimum build chroot scripts are
>> setup
>>
>> How can you you expect people to do so when there are no buildsys binary
>> or source rpm for CentOS 6? The closest match is the one for CentOS 5
>> [1]. Other than my own binary I have which may not justfy for CentOS
>> usage.
>>

> Mock for fedora 13 uses the comps buildsys-build group.
>
> from mock's f13 config
>
> config_opts['chroot_setup_cmd'] = 'groupinstall buildsys-build'
>

> and pkgs for epel6 are doing the same.
>
> that comps is available here:
> http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/repos/dist-6E-epel-build/latest/i386/repodata/comps.xml
>
> that looks like what you want.

this comps has only build and not buildsys-build group, but the content
is the same as the good buildsys-build group.

--
Levente "Si vis pacem para bellum!"

Old 11-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 11/12/2010 04:28 AM, JohnS wrote:
>> There is, an extremely brief, overview of the whole process at :
>> http://wiki.centos.org/QaWiki/6/Round1
> How can you you expect people to do so when there are no buildsys binary
> or source rpm for CentOS 6? The closest match is the one for CentOS 5
> [1]. Other than my own binary I have which may not justfy for CentOS
> usage.

buildroots will have no impact on upstream branding. not sure how you
worked out that it would ?

- KB

Old 11-12-2010, 11:25 AM
JohnS

On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 12:12 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 11/12/2010 04:28 AM, JohnS wrote:
> >> There is, an extremely brief, overview of the whole process at :
> >> http://wiki.centos.org/QaWiki/6/Round1
> > How can you you expect people to do so when there are no buildsys binary
> > or source rpm for CentOS 6? The closest match is the one for CentOS 5
> > [1]. Other than my own binary I have which may not justfy for CentOS
> > usage.
>
> buildroots will have no impact on upstream branding. not sure how you
> worked out that it would ?
----
Then you should take it off the page. It is misleading.

John

Old 11-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 11/12/2010 12:25 PM, JohnS wrote:
>> buildroots will have no impact on upstream branding. not sure how you
>> worked out that it would ?
> ----
> Then you should take it off the page. It is misleading.

The page is about the entire process that the QA team is going to work
with, the help I requested was for one part of the task. If you look
back at my initial email to this list, it clearly states that the page
is about the overall process.

At this moment in time, we need to focus on the branding issues. Till
that happens and is complete, everything else is wasted time.

- KB

Old 11-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 11/12/2010 12:03 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> So while we wait for the first set of packages to build the biggest
> effort required is to find, confirm and patch those packages that have
> upstream branding in them. And packages that need to be changed to work
> within the centos ecosystem.

Just wanted to add one important bit that got left out : please file
reports against packages you checked and didnt find any need to modify
or patch in anyway. That would help get a whitelist going as well.

Thanks once again to everyone who is pitching in.

- KB

Old 11-17-2010, 02:02 PM
JohnS

On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 12:28 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 11/12/2010 12:25 PM, JohnS wrote:
> >> buildroots will have no impact on upstream branding. not sure how you
> >> worked out that it would ?
> > ----
> > Then you should take it off the page. It is misleading.
>
> The page is about the entire process that the QA team is going to work
> with, the help I requested was for one part of the task. If you look
> back at my initial email to this list, it clearly states that the page
> is about the overall process.
>
> At this moment in time, we need to focus on the branding issues. Till
> that happens and is complete, everything else is wasted time.
>
> - KB
---
Thanks for explanation...

John