FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Lamar Owen
 
Default EOL plans for C3

On Friday, August 13, 2010 02:00:50 pm Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> I totally agree : just *try* to imagine the number or running Red Hat
> Linux 7.2 still used in production :-)

I'm getting ready to upgrade a production system to a virtualized CentOS 2.1 instance. Yes, really, 2.1, as an app (non-opensource) running on that production system needs libc5. Yes, really, libc5, and CentOS 2.1 is the latest dist I've found with libc5. Client has no need or funds to rewrite app or convert to open source app, and is happy with what works.

Production system is running Red Hat Linux 5.2. No, not RHEL 5.2; RHL (boxed set, 1998 vintage) 5.2. Runs like Gump. Not net connected, fortunately.
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 08-16-2010, 06:30 PM
Karanbir Singh
 
Default EOL plans for C3

hi Lamar,

On 08/16/2010 07:25 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> I'm getting ready to upgrade a production system to a virtualized CentOS 2.1 instance. Yes, really, 2.1, as an app (non-opensource) running on that production system needs libc5. Yes, really, libc5, and CentOS 2.1 is the latest dist I've found with libc5. Client has no need or funds to rewrite app or convert to open source app, and is happy with what works.

Notes that you can share from the process would be very welcome. either
post here to the list and we can tweak them into the wiki, or just
directly incorporate into the wiki

- KB
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 08-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Lamar Owen
 
Default EOL plans for C3

On Monday, August 16, 2010 02:30:40 pm Karanbir Singh wrote:
> hi Lamar,
> On 08/16/2010 07:25 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > I'm getting ready to upgrade a production system to a virtualized CentOS 2.1 instance. Yes, really, 2.1, as an app (non-opensource) running on that production system needs libc5. Yes, really, libc5, and CentOS 2.1 is the latest dist I've found with libc5. Client has no need or funds to rewrite app or convert to open source app, and is happy with what works.

> Notes that you can share from the process would be very welcome. either
> post here to the list and we can tweak them into the wiki, or just
> directly incorporate into the wiki

I'll try to do so; it's going to be a lengthy process due to some of the lower layers involved; one of which involves migration of the PostgreSQL 6.5.3 database to something more modern....

With KVM being the wave of the future, I'll likely go that route (meaning the target server will need cross-grading from Xen to KVM). Although the initial version of the CentOS 2.1 VM is on VMware Server (which presents a 440BX chipset in the VM, and thus very compatible with the older kernel). VMware server is less than ideal, though, since the kernel module rebuild has to be done after every kernel update.

I'm targeting sometime in October or November to have the process complete.
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 08-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Karanbir Singh
 
Default EOL plans for C3

On 08/11/2010 08:12 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> CentOS-3 goes EOL in about 3 months.

This is an interesting development and perhaps something worth mentioning ?


http://press.redhat.com/2010/08/19/red-hat-enterprise-linux-extended-life-cycle-support-launched/

- KB
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 08-20-2010, 12:41 AM
Manuel Wolfshant
 
Default EOL plans for C3

On 08/19/2010 11:57 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 08/11/2010 08:12 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>
>
>> CentOS-3 goes EOL in about 3 months.
>>
>
> This is an interesting development and perhaps something worth mentioning ?
>
>
> http://press.redhat.com/2010/08/19/red-hat-enterprise-linux-extended-life-cycle-support-launched/
>
I wonder if "Extended Life Cycle Support is delivered through Red Hat
Network, similar to the way regular Red Hat Enterprise Linux content is
provided." means "we'll publish the source packages just as we did
before". Given the "similar to" part, I guess they will, right ?

wolfy "I am happy to say that I've migrated this year all my Centos 3
servers (and almost all of the desktops, as well) to Centos 5"
_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 
Old 08-20-2010, 05:31 AM
Ned Slider
 
Default EOL plans for C3

On 20/08/10 01:41, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> On 08/19/2010 11:57 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> On 08/11/2010 08:12 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>
>>
>>> CentOS-3 goes EOL in about 3 months.
>>>
>>
>> This is an interesting development and perhaps something worth mentioning ?
>>
>>
>> http://press.redhat.com/2010/08/19/red-hat-enterprise-linux-extended-life-cycle-support-launched/
>>
> I wonder if "Extended Life Cycle Support is delivered through Red Hat
> Network, similar to the way regular Red Hat Enterprise Linux content is
> provided." means "we'll publish the source packages just as we did
> before". Given the "similar to" part, I guess they will, right ?
>

I assumed the opposite - similar to Extended Update Support (EUS) for
point releases where upstream don't publish the source rpms.

I guess we will have to wait and see :-)

_______________________________________________
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:57 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org