Old 07-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Karanbir Singh

Default Forums migration to phpbb

Starting a new thread...

So there are a few things that need to be done with the forums :

- Workable data migration path from the existing forums setup to phpbb

- setup a single authentication module with its own account creation /
deletion / admin interface

- Migrating the wiki, bugs and www site to use the same auth mechanism.

Things already done :

+ phpbb install and tested migration ( I am guessing this based on
Marcus's last email )

Looking at the list of things that need to be done, I dont need to be or
want to be involved with any of them, but am happy to project-manage if
that is something which is needed. So, who's offering to do what ?

Step-1 might be to check and verify that wiki/bugs/www can be migrated
to using the ldap auth setup proposed for phpbb.

- KB

Old 07-23-2010, 02:37 PM
Marcus Moeller

Dear Karan,

> Starting a new thread...
>
> So there are a few things that need to be done with the forums :
>
> - Workable data migration path from the existing forums setup to phpbb
>
> - setup a single authentication module with its own account creation /
> deletion / admin interface
>
> - Migrating the wiki, bugs and www site to use the same auth mechanism.
>
> Things already done :
>
> + phpbb install *and tested migration ( I am guessing this based on
> Marcus's last email )
>

> Looking at the list of things that need to be done, I dont need to be or
> want to be involved with any of them, but am happy to project-manage if
> that is something which is needed. So, who's offering to do what ?
>
> Step-1 might be to check and verify that wiki/bugs/www can be migrated
> to using the ldap auth setup proposed for phpbb.

As mentioned earlier I would instead like to suggest to do something
like a hackweek. I remember that one (I guess it was Didi) had good
contacts to LinuxHotel where we could spend a few days to work on
these issues.

--
Greets
Marcus

Old 07-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 07/23/2010 03:37 PM, Marcus Moeller wrote:
> As mentioned earlier I would instead like to suggest to do something
> like a hackweek. I remember that one (I guess it was Didi) had good
> contacts to LinuxHotel where we could spend a few days to work on
> these issues.

I think you might find it hard to find a large group of people ( more
than 2 is large in my books ) to spend a week, in sync, doing only one
thing. The effort might be a bit more productive if we were to setup the
tasks and let people hack away at them independently.

perhaps a pivotaltracker instance is called for here.

- KB

Old 07-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 07/23/2010 03:37 PM, Marcus Moeller wrote:
> contacts to LinuxHotel where we could spend a few days to work on
> these issues.

btw, what exactly is LinuxHotel ? My google foo came up a bit short.

- KB

Old 07-23-2010, 03:27 PM
didi

Hey

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> btw, what exactly is LinuxHotel ? My google foo came up a bit short.

It is a hotel in Germany, where Open Source projects get good prices
to do some conferences. And they try to promote Open Source and offer
loads of services in the hotel like beamers etc ..

In short "A hotel that counters for Open Source geeks"

--
Hoffmann Geerd-Dietger
http://contact.ribalba.de

Old 07-23-2010, 03:30 PM
didi

Hey

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Marcus Moeller <mail@marcus-moeller.de> wrote:
> As mentioned earlier I would instead like to suggest to do something
> like a hackweek. I remember that one (I guess it was Didi) had good
> contacts to LinuxHotel where we could spend a few days to work on
> these issues.

I am with Karan on this one. I can't even see a few days in the next 6
months where I could go and hack for a week

Looking at the list it doesn't really seam that hard to do. Why can't
you just set up a couple of servers somewhere ( 2-3 VMs?) and install
everything and then we can see how stuff behaves and looks like?

Sorry for posting at the end of the other thread.

Cheers Didi
--
Hoffmann Geerd-Dietger
http://contact.ribalba.de

Old 07-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Marcus Moeller

Dear Didi.

> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Marcus Moeller <mail@marcus-moeller.de> wrote:
>> As mentioned earlier I would instead like to suggest to do something
>> like a hackweek. I remember that one (I guess it was Didi) had good
>> contacts to LinuxHotel where we could spend a few days to work on
>> these issues.
>
> I am with Karan on this one. I can't even see a few days in the next 6
> months where I could go and hack for a week
>
> Looking at the list it doesn't really seam that hard to do. Why can't
> you just set up a couple of servers somewhere ( 2-3 VMs?) and install
> everything and then we can see how stuff behaves and looks like?

Test VM is already set up, if you just want to help me on that, I
would set up an account for you so we could continue.

Greets
Marcus

Old 07-26-2010, 02:19 PM
Karanbir Singh

Hi guys,

On 07/23/2010 05:13 PM, Marcus Moeller wrote:
>> Looking at the list it doesn't really seam that hard to do. Why can't
>> you just set up a couple of servers somewhere ( 2-3 VMs?) and install
>> everything and then we can see how stuff behaves and looks like?
>
> Test VM is already set up, if you just want to help me on that, I
> would set up an account for you so we could continue.

Getting a list of 'stories' and then tasks required for each story, is
definitely worth doing. If nothing else, it would give a fairly good
idea as to how close we are, or how far we are, from the migration itself.

- KB

Old 07-26-2010, 02:41 PM
Marcus Moeller

2010/7/26 Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org>:
> Hi guys,
>
> On 07/23/2010 05:13 PM, Marcus Moeller wrote:
>>> Looking at the list it doesn't really seam that hard to do. Why can't
>>> you just set up a couple of servers somewhere ( 2-3 VMs?) and install
>>> everything and then we can see how stuff behaves and looks like?
>>
>> Test VM is already set up, if you just want to help me on that, I
>> would set up an account for you so we could continue.
>
> Getting a list of 'stories' and then tasks required for each story, is
> definitely worth doing. If nothing else, it would give a fairly good
> idea as to how close we are, or how far we are, from the migration itself.

Didi, Fab and I are going to work on it the next few days and I will
keep you informed.

--
Greets
Marcus

Old 10-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Marcus Moeller

Hi again.

>>> Test VM is already set up, if you just want to help me on that, I
>>> would set up an account for you so we could continue.
>>
>> Getting a list of 'stories' and then tasks required for each story, is
>> definitely worth doing. If nothing else, it would give a fairly good
>> idea as to how close we are, or how far we are, from the migration itself.
>
> Didi, Fab and I are going to work on it the next few days and I will
> keep you informed.

Just to clarify: phpBB VM is up and running again. I have had a talk
with didi about 1 1/2 month ago and introduced him the setup and the
tasks where help is needed.

No reaction till then.

Just to repeat: if noone is going to help me writing a user management
frontend, the situation is stuck here!

Greets
Marcus