Old 10-01-2010, 11:27 AM
didi

Default Forums migration to phpbb

Hey

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Marcus Moeller <mail@marcus-moeller.de> wrote:
> Just to repeat: if noone is going to help me writing a user management
> frontend, the situation is stuck here!

I am on it. I have already talked to Karan about it. There are some
problems that still need to be solved.

- Is PhpBB a good way to go?
- What do the forum guys really want, mailing list integration etc ...
- How will the merge with LDAP work? User-names etc ..
- How can me make it fail-over. If everything uses (open)LDAP
- What will be integrated with LDAP?
- etc ...

Cheers Didi

--
Hoffmann Geerd-Dietger
http://contact.ribalba.de

Old 10-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Marcus Moeller

Hi Didi.

> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Marcus Moeller <mail@marcus-moeller.de> wrote:
>> Just to repeat: if noone is going to help me writing a user management
>> frontend, the situation is stuck here!
>
> I am on it. I have already talked to Karan about it. There are some
> problems that still need to be solved.

Okay, a short status update without having to ask for it wouldn't be
that bad )

> - Is PhpBB a good way to go?

Don't you think 2 years of evaluation is enough?

http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/forums

The fr. subsite users are quite happy with pbpBB afaik.

> - How will the merge with LDAP work? User-names etc ..
> - How can me make it fail-over. If everything uses (open)LDAP
> - What will be integrated with LDAP?

Have you already checked the migration script? I personally won't care
about merging that much atm. Setting up an LDAP and porting the XOOPS
accounts to it would already work. We just need a little user
management frontend to create form accounts.

If we start off with that, we could continue working on porting the
other apps (is there anything else than moin, bugtracker and trac
necessary?)

Greets
Marcus

Old 10-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Phil Schaffner

Marcus Moeller wrote on 10/01/2010 07:39 AM:
> Hi Didi.
>> - Is PhpBB a good way to go?
>
> Don't you think 2 years of evaluation is enough?
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/forums
>
> The fr. subsite users are quite happy with pbpBB afaik.

It is good to see this discussion starting again. Frustration with the
current forum is certainly evident among both moderators and users. An
update to that page with the thoughts, experiences, and results from
evaluators and potential implementers certainly seems in order. The
page status is

WebsiteVer2/forums (last edited 2009-03-30 08:31:47 by AlainRegueraDelgado)

phpBB Status is still "Not Started".

Phil

Old 10-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Marcus Moeller

Hi Phil.

>>> - Is PhpBB a good way to go?
>>
>> Don't you think 2 years of evaluation is enough?
>>
>> http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/forums
>>
>> The fr. subsite users are quite happy with pbpBB afaik.
>
> It is good to see this discussion starting again. *Frustration with the
> current forum is certainly evident among both moderators and users. *An
> update to that page with the thoughts, experiences, and results from
> evaluators and potential implementers certainly seems in order. *The
> page status is
>
> WebsiteVer2/forums (last edited 2009-03-30 08:31:47 by AlainRegueraDelgado)
>
> phpBB Status is still "Not Started".

Hey, this is something I could updated

Greets
Marcus

Old 10-01-2010, 05:35 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Am 01.10.10 13:39, schrieb Marcus Moeller:
> If we start off with that, we could continue working on porting the
> other apps (is there anything else than moin, bugtracker and trac
> necessary?)

Not that I can see. I don't think that mailing list integration would
work, as web fora and lists are two completely different cultural things.

Main issue at the moment are the web forums anyway.

Ralph

Old 10-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Fabian Arrotin

Marcus Moeller wrote:
> Hi Didi.
>
>> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Marcus Moeller <mail@marcus-moeller.de> wrote:
>>> Just to repeat: if noone is going to help me writing a user management
>>> frontend, the situation is stuck here!
>> I am on it. I have already talked to Karan about it. There are some
>> problems that still need to be solved.
>
> Okay, a short status update without having to ask for it wouldn't be
> that bad )
>
>> - Is PhpBB a good way to go?
>
> Don't you think 2 years of evaluation is enough?
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/forums
>
> The fr. subsite users are quite happy with pbpBB afaik.

Yes, I can confirm that fr.centos.org users are happy with the phpbb
instance. The only thing i did was to import quickly a theme on which I
used the centos logo and another request was a rss feed so that people
could follow forums posts through a rss feed reader.