Old 01-10-2008, 10:17 AM
"Vishak V. Kurup"

Default Using Centos as embedded linux.

Dear all,

I am newbie to Centos. I would like to
know if it is possible to use centos on embedded devices. Has any one done any
thing similar? Please do reply with any comments …

Regards

Vishak V KurupÂ*

Â*

Old 01-10-2008, 11:27 AM
"Daniel de Kok"

On 1/10/08, Vishak V. Kurup <vishak.kurup@nestgroup.net> wrote:
> I am newbie to Centos. I would like to know if it is possible to use centos on embedded devices.
> Has any one done any thing similar? Please do reply with any comments …

That completely depends on the application. Currently a minimal system
is fairly large (~400-~500MB IIRC). This may be OK for some embedded
devices, and one or two orders of magnitude too large for other
embedded devices.

If you need something much smaller (or a non-supported platform like
ARM), I'd suggest looking at Busybox or a BSD operating system.

-- Daniel

Old 01-10-2008, 11:51 AM
John Summerfield

Daniel de Kok wrote:

I am newbie to Centos. I would like to know if it is possible to use centos on embedded devices.
Has any one done any thing similar? Please do reply with any comments �

That completely depends on the application. Currently a minimal system
is fairly large (~400-~500MB IIRC). This may be OK for some embedded
devices, and one or two orders of magnitude too large for other
embedded devices.

I didn't think it was that small, unless you're talking about the amount
of RAM needed to run recent anacondas:-)

If you need something much smaller (or a non-supported platform like
ARM), I'd suggest looking at Busybox or a BSD operating system.

Debian is very popular on ARM; I think I read it has more Linux system
on ARM than on IA32!.

The linksys wireless router, wrt54g runs Linux and there are alternative
firmwares for it. Look for openwrt for info on that.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 01-11-2008, 03:31 AM
"Vishak V. Kurup"

Thank you...Daneil and John...
My device configuration is as follows.
CPU : intel Celeron M 1.60 Ghz
DIMM : W/DDR 1GB ECC
IDE(Primary Master) : Compact Flash (1 GB)
IDE(Primary Master) : Compact Flash (256 GB)

My confusion is that if it is possible to customize the CentOS for my application.

Regards
Vishak V Kurup

Old 01-11-2008, 12:21 PM
"Daniel de Kok"

On 1/10/08, John Summerfield <debian@herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
> Debian is very popular on ARM; I think I read it has more Linux system
> on ARM than on IA32!.

Yeah, but a lot of them are NSLU2s, and people tend to use large hard
drives with their NLSU2s. Of course, they are low-memory machines, so
it beats Anaconda every day.

-- Daniel

Old 01-11-2008, 12:22 PM
"Daniel de Kok"

On 1/11/08, Vishak V. Kurup <vishak.kurup@nestgroup.net> wrote:

> Thank you...Daneil and John...
> My device configuration is as follows.
> CPU : intel Celeron M 1.60 Ghz
> DIMM : W/DDR 1GB ECC
> IDE(Primary Master) : Compact Flash (1 GB)
> IDE(Primary Master) : Compact Flash (256 GB)
>
> My confusion is that if it is possible to customize the CentOS for my application.

Sure, CentOS can run on such a machine. If it is worthwhile, depends
on the application.

-- Daniel

Old 01-11-2008, 05:59 PM
"Ing. Ernesto Pérez Estévez"

Vishak V. Kurup wrote:

Thank you...Daneil and John...
My device configuration is as follows.
CPU : intel Celeron M 1.60 Ghz
DIMM : W/DDR 1GB ECC
IDE(Primary Master) : Compact Flash (1 GB)
IDE(Primary Master) : Compact Flash (256 GB)

My confusion is that if it is possible to customize the CentOS for my application.

Regards

I have installed centos-3 in a mini ITX with 256MB /RAM and 1GB CF (I
was unable to find the 256GB one).. minimal install and then reduced
further the disk usage. I customized it for our streaming customers
(darkice+a heavily reduced centos). Text only

I have been thinking to slim centos by recompiling every RPM without the
docs and several other tricks to make it less fatter.. of course it wont
be the real centos but some sort of reduced copy.

BTW, I found that debian was easier to install in such a hardware and
set aside my plans to reduce CentOS size.. but maybe one day I will get
back to it.

regards
epe

--
Ing. Ernesto Pérez Estévez
http://www.ecualinux.com/

USA: +1 305 359 4495 / España: +34 91 761 7884
Ecuador: +593 2 341 2402 / + 593 9 9246504
Mexico: +52 55 1163 8640 / Italia: +39 06 916504876

Old 01-11-2008, 06:10 PM
jean-seb

Ing. Ernesto Pérez Estévez a écrit :

Vishak V. Kurup wrote:

Thank you...Daneil and John...
My device configuration is as follows.
CPU : intel Celeron M 1.60 Ghz
DIMM : W/DDR 1GB ECC
IDE(Primary Master) : Compact Flash (1 GB)
IDE(Primary Master) : Compact Flash (256 GB)

My confusion is that if it is possible to customize the CentOS for
my application.

Regards

I have installed centos-3 in a mini ITX with 256MB /RAM and 1GB CF (I
was unable to find the 256GB one).. minimal install and then reduced
further the disk usage. I customized it for our streaming customers
(darkice+a heavily reduced centos). Text only

Pretty same embedded system::
on a C3 1Ghz, 512 Mb of ram (256 for system memory and 256 in "ramdisk"
to use /var and /tmp in read/write mode) and a 512Mb CF:

The way to minimize is like other distro: rm -rf /usr/share/doc

And of course, vanish yum, and install apt-get

I have been thinking to slim centos by recompiling every RPM without
the docs and several other tricks to make it less fatter.. of course
it wont be the real centos but some sort of reduced copy.

BTW, I found that debian was easier to install in such a hardware and
set aside my plans to reduce CentOS size.. but maybe one day I will
get back to it.

regards
epe
You can slim a Centos to .. 300Mo, it's working fine and let you about
215Mo for archiving and update features (glibc is the worst package to
update :-/ )

At last, you can have a graphical desktop (xfce or a gnome desktop) in
512Mo i think, but maybe the manpages will be delete too.

Regards

js.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:09 PM
John Summerfield

Vishak V. Kurup wrote:

Thank you...Daneil and John...
My device configuration is as follows.
CPU : intel Celeron M 1.60 Ghz
DIMM : W/DDR 1GB ECC
IDE(Primary Master) : Compact Flash (1 GB)
IDE(Primary Master) : Compact Flash (256 GB)

My confusion is that if it is possible to customize the CentOS for my application.

It is. This is not your average embedded system:-)
I's also possible to install a a bigger CF, I have 4 Gbytes in my camera
(and wonder whether I really should have gone for eight).

I use CentOS & Scientific Linux, but for this _I_ might go for Debian or
maybe Ubuntu Long Life. Depends on whether a GUI matters (GUI takes much
disk and RAM), and what the particular application is.

Regards
Vishak V Kurup