Old 01-11-2008, 10:10 PM
John Summerfield

Default Using Centos as embedded linux.

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Vishak V. Kurup wrote:

Thank you...Daneil and John...
My device configuration is as follows.
CPU : intel Celeron M 1.60 Ghz
DIMM : W/DDR 1GB ECC
IDE(Primary Master) : Compact Flash (1 GB)
IDE(Primary Master) : Compact Flash (256 GB)

wooo 256 GB CF ?

Whoops. I read that as 256 Mbyte. I wonder...

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 01-11-2008, 10:13 PM
John Summerfield

Ing. Ernesto Pérez Estévez wrote:

I have been thinking to slim centos by recompiling every RPM without the
docs and several other tricks to make it less fatter.. of course it wont
be the real centos but some sort of reduced copy.

rpm supports omitting docs. You might need to fiddle anaconda or yum to
choose the right way.

BTW, I found that debian was easier to install in such a hardware

That's my thinking.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:09 AM
"Vishak V. Kurup"

Thank you all for the enormous suggestions and information's ... I think I can go forward with the customization. Many suggested using Debian instead of CentOS... Why I prefer CentOS is that CentOS is more stable than Debian or any other editions... and there will be less dependency problems (I think so)

Regards
Vishak V Kurup

Old 01-14-2008, 11:01 PM
John Summerfield

Vishak V. Kurup wrote:

Thank you all for the enormous suggestions and information's ... I think I can go forward with the customization. Many suggested using Debian instead of CentOS... Why I prefer CentOS is that CentOS is more stable than Debian or any other editions... and there will be less dependency problems (I think so)

You need to define "stable" to justify that. Debian would say it is more
stable.

I don't think CentOS has fewer dependency problems than Debian; I
installed a minimal Debian Stable system the other day, then added the
ntfs tools and the whole takes 346 Mbytes of disk.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Lennert Buytenhek

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 01:27:30PM +0100, Daniel de Kok wrote:

> If you need something much smaller (or a non-supported platform like
> ARM), I'd suggest looking at Busybox or a BSD operating system.

I work on the Fedora ARM port, and we just released a n(unofficial)
F8 for ARM:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-arm/2008-January/msg00004.html

Some time ago, I did some work on a CentOS/ARM port, and ended up with
most of the core CentOS 5.0 packages built for ARM, but I got pulled
onto another project and got kind of distracted from the CentOS/ARM
effort -- but I do intend to pick it up again at some point.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:47 PM
Lennert Buytenhek

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 09:51:59PM +0900, John Summerfield wrote:

> >If you need something much smaller (or a non-supported platform like
> >ARM), I'd suggest looking at Busybox or a BSD operating system.
>
> Debian is very popular on ARM; I think I read it has more Linux system
> on ARM than on IA32!.

That's somewhat unlikely. But there _are_ probably an order of
magnitude more ARM CPUs in the world than x86 CPUs.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:15 AM
"Vishak V. Kurup"

I have worked with arm...but it is a night mare for me...i don't know
from where all dependency problems comes...and also cross compiled
libraries freely available ... were having many issues... my test
machine was i686... and I had to port a gtk application in arm board
..the os I used was montavista linux ...many of may features did not
work in board..

Regards
Vishak V Kurup

Old 01-15-2008, 06:32 AM
Kenneth Porter

--On Friday, January 11, 2008 10:01 AM +0530 "Vishak V. Kurup"