Old 12-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Karanbir Singh

Default Fasttrack for C-5

On 12/03/2010 12:44 PM, David Hrbáč wrote:
>> We are going to start building the updateinfo metadata around this repo
>> and should have something usable by early next week.
> What's the status of updateinfo.xml being provided for C5 (now for C6 too).

I was fairly confident we could extract and build this from the
changelog's of released packages, but thats not going to happen since
they are not very consistend and dont even go back to the earlier
releases. eg in 5.[0123] quite a few pkgs dont carry this metadata at all.

So, short of someone finding a way to get this info; sitting down and
typing it all up, it looks hard to get going.

With C6 however, all pkgs so far seem to have this metadata in the
changelog's. So its looking a lot better.

- KB

Old 12-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Jeff Johnson

On Dec 3, 2010, at 9:11 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> I was fairly confident we could extract and build this from the
> changelog's of released packages, but thats not going to happen since
> they are not very consistend and dont even go back to the earlier
> releases. eg in 5.[0123] quite a few pkgs dont carry this metadata at all.
>
> So, short of someone finding a way to get this info; sitting down and
> typing it all up, it looks hard to get going.

The way to get the info is to use the package VCS check-ins, not
%changelog from *.spec or --queryformat. There are too many issues
with encoding and "bloat removal" filtering for package/spec
extraction to be anything other than a chore.

> With C6 however, all pkgs so far seem to have this metadata in the
> changelog's. So its looking a lot better.

What really should be done is rip _ALL_ of %changelog
everywhere and just set up a browser onto git/svn package
repositories hosted on a server where it might be useful for
many users and tools. But that's likely a minority
heretical contrarian opinion of mine alone.

hth

73 de Jeff

Old 12-03-2010, 01:27 PM
David Hrbáč

Dne 3.12.2010 15:11, Karanbir Singh napsal(a):
> I was fairly confident we could extract and build this from the
> changelog's of released packages, but thats not going to happen since
> they are not very consistend and dont even go back to the earlier
> releases. eg in 5.[0123] quite a few pkgs dont carry this metadata at all.

For me the changelog is not the way to go. I don't know how CESA/CEBA
announcements are created. Aren't we able to pack this process with
updateinfo.xml creation? We know that update is just bug, security, know
the packages, know references to upstream...
DH

Old 12-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 12/03/2010 02:21 PM, Jeff Johnson wrote:
> The way to get the info is to use the package VCS check-ins, not
> %changelog from *.spec or --queryformat. There are too many issues

Red Hat might not be very willing to let us look at their vcs backend

- KB