Old 01-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Karanbir Singh

Default Forum Thread -- Relating to the CentOS 5 Testing Repository

On 12/01/10 17:49, Alan Bartlett wrote:
> I'll continue to talk to myself by mentioning that another contributor
> to the above thread, in post #7, has stated that:
>
> "The PHP packages in the CentOS testing repo are outdated."

outdated how ? were still following rhwas...

I was hoping to put some of these things together into its own 'silo'
which would allow people to get 'just rhwas' and not the other bits from
the testing repo.

Is it a case of meeting user-expectations ? if there really is a major
interest in following the upstream ( i mean all the way, like php.net )
release ?

--
Karanbir Singh
kbsingh@karan.org | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh

Old 01-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Christoph Maser

Am Dienstag, den 12.01.2010, 18:49 +0100 schrieb Alan Bartlett:
> 2010/1/11 Alan Bartlett <ajb@elrepo.org>:
> > There has been a recent forum thread [1] where the OP has asked about
> > the C-5 Testing Repository and the php packages contained therein.
> >
> > When the time permits, would one of the core-devs please post a
> > comment to that thread.
> >
> > Having defocussed my eyes, I mentally see an image of Tru, Johnny,
> > Karanbir, Ralph or Russ checking the quoted URL . . .
> >
> > Regards,
> > Alan.
> >
> > [1] http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=24153&forum=42
> >

> I'll continue to talk to myself by mentioning that another contributor
> to the above thread, in post #7, has stated that:
>
> "The PHP packages in the CentOS testing repo are outdated."
>
> If that indeed is the case, perhaps they should be pulled -- if the
> original CentOS packager is unable to maintain them?
>
> Alan.

Actually i checked and rebuild the RHWAS php packages from upstream
myself and it seems they can just go unmodified through the build
process. I did not find any copyright,branding,whatever from upstream.
Its just the vanilla php plus a few patches.

Chrsi

financial.com AG

Management board/Vorstand: Dr. Steffen Boehnert | Dr. Alexis Eisenhofer | Dr. Yann Samson | Matthias Wiederwach

Old 01-12-2010, 08:48 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 12/01/10 18:00, Christoph Maser wrote:
> Actually i checked and rebuild the RHWAS php packages from upstream
> myself and it seems they can just go unmodified through the build
> process. I did not find any copyright,branding,whatever from upstream.
> Its just the vanilla php plus a few patches.

Thats pretty much what I have as well. And the rhaws stuff is being
tracked with the same tools as the main distro.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 12/01/10 18:11, Alan Bartlett wrote:
> May I, therefore, take it that when you can find the time you will
> interact with the end-users?

I try :/ but the forums just take up too much time to go through and i
end up fighting the system more than the content itself.

> I have, in my own way, suggested that users requiring information of
> this nature should ask their pertinent questions on this m/l. It
> seems, however, that some people are not happy to use this list.

humm wonder why that is.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Phil Schaffner

Karanbir Singh wrote on 01/12/2010 04:48 PM:
> On 12/01/10 18:00, Christoph Maser wrote:
>> Actually i checked and rebuild the RHWAS php packages from upstream
>> myself and it seems they can just go unmodified through the build
>> process. I did not find any copyright,branding,whatever from upstream.
>> Its just the vanilla php plus a few patches.
>
> Thats pretty much what I have as well. And the rhaws stuff is being
> tracked with the same tools as the main distro.

So, how and when might these packages emerge (no I'm not switching
distros :-D ) from testing?

Phil

Old 01-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 01/22/2010 02:32 PM, Michiel van Es wrote:
> php-5.2.6-2.el5s2.i386.rpm 16-Sep-2008 01:20 1.2M

http://dev.centos.org/centos/5/testing/i386/RPMS/php-5.2.9-2.el5.centos.i386.rpm

use yum

the 5.2.10 rpm was actually queued up to move into the plus repo, this
conversation came up earlier today as well. And its worth resolving really.

for now, I'll push the 5.2.10 out into the testing repo though

--
Karanbir Singh
London, UK | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh

Old 01-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Jean-Marc LIGER

Karanbir Singh a crit :
> On 01/22/2010 02:32 PM, Michiel van Es wrote:
>
>> php-5.2.6-2.el5s2.i386.rpm 16-Sep-2008 01:20 1.2M
>>

> http://dev.centos.org/centos/5/testing/i386/RPMS/php-5.2.9-2.el5.centos.i386.rpm
>
> use yum
>
> the 5.2.10 rpm was actually queued up to move into the plus repo, this
> conversation came up earlier today as well. And its worth resolving really.

And what about the php-extras src.rpm ? shoud it be sync with php-5.2.10
and also go in the plus repo ?

Old 01-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Michiel van Es

On 01/22/2010 03:41 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 01/22/2010 02:32 PM, Michiel van Es wrote:
>> php-5.2.6-2.el5s2.i386.rpm 16-Sep-2008 01:20 1.2M
>
> http://dev.centos.org/centos/5/testing/i386/RPMS/php-5.2.9-2.el5.centos.i386.rpm
>
> use yum

I use yum but it says the 5,2.6 version is the one being provided:
7/715 : php-5.2.6-2.el5s2-0.i386

> the 5.2.10 rpm was actually queued up to move into the plus repo, this
> conversation came up earlier today as well. And its worth resolving really.
>
> for now, I'll push the 5.2.10 out into the testing repo though

Thanks
Then I can keep my systems up to date who are using the Testing repo

Regards,

Michiel

Old 01-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 01/22/2010 03:22 PM, Michiel van Es wrote:
>> use yum
> I use yum but it says the 5,2.6 version is the one being provided:
> 7/715 : php-5.2.6-2.el5s2-0.i386

root@lucifer yum.repos.d]# yum --enablerepo=c5-testing list
php-5*.`uname -m` -d0

Available Packages
php.x86_64 5.2.9-2.el5.centos
c5-testing

something is broken on your side.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Michiel van Es

On 01/22/2010 04:28 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 01/22/2010 03:22 PM, Michiel van Es wrote:
>>> use yum
>> I use yum but it says the 5,2.6 version is the one being provided:
>> 7/715 : php-5.2.6-2.el5s2-0.i386
>
> root@lucifer yum.repos.d]# yum --enablerepo=c5-testing list
> php-5*.`uname -m` -d0
>
> Available Packages
> php.x86_64 5.2.9-2.el5.centos
> c5-testing
>
> something is broken on your side.

hmm perhaps yum cache..I see that since todaythe package are just
updated and the 5.2.6 is removed..