-   -   why is the addons repo empty? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-development/299191-why-addons-repo-empty.html)

Felix Schwarz 12-22-2009 10:37 AM

why is the addons repo empty?

Hi,

today I noticed that yum-priorities is not anymore in the base distribution -
a fact that seems to be well documented. However the yum-utils src rpm still
builds that package.

Therefore I was wondering why yum-priorities is available in extras and not in
addons.

Basically http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General says:
> What are all the CentOS repositories (directories) and what is each one
> for?
>
> addons
> Contains packages required in order to build the main Distribution or
> packages produced by SRPMS built in the main Distribution, but not included
> in the main Red Hat package tree (mysql-server in CentOS-3.x falls into
> this category). Packages contained in the addons repository should be
> considered essentially a part of the core distribution, but may not be in
> the main Red Hat Package tree.

However the addons repo is completely empty for CentOS 5.4. Does that mean
addons is deprecated?

fs

Karanbir Singh 12-22-2009 10:45 AM

why is the addons repo empty?

On 12/22/2009 11:37 AM, Felix Schwarz wrote:
> today I noticed that yum-priorities is not anymore in the base distribution -
> a fact that seems to be well documented. However the yum-utils src rpm still
> builds that package.

This is an issue I hope to have fixed in the next few days ( well,
before the end of this year anyway! ). We have a tree-compose script
breakdown ( as in me fat fingering it ) at 5.4 release time, which meant
a few yum-utils subpackages were left out.

These packages are not included in the distro upstream.

> Therefore I was wondering why yum-priorities is available in extras and not in
> addons.

Because of the above mentioned issue.

> > addons
>> Contains packages required in order to build the main Distribution or
>> packages produced by SRPMS built in the main Distribution, but not included
>> in the main Red Hat package tree (mysql-server in CentOS-3.x falls into
>> this category). Packages contained in the addons repository should be
>> considered essentially a part of the core distribution, but may not be in
>> the main Red Hat Package tree.
>
> However the addons repo is completely empty for CentOS 5.4. Does that mean
> addons is deprecated?

for x86_64 and i386, yes its not used at all.

--
Karanbir Singh
London, UK | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh

Karanbir Singh 12-22-2009 10:45 AM

why is the addons repo empty?

On 12/22/2009 11:37 AM, Felix Schwarz wrote:
> today I noticed that yum-priorities is not anymore in the base distribution -
> a fact that seems to be well documented. However the yum-utils src rpm still
> builds that package.

you might also want to follow the bugreports at bugs.centos.org about
this issue

Akemi Yagi 01-15-2010 07:42 PM

why is the addons repo empty?

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 3:45 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> On 12/22/2009 11:37 AM, Felix Schwarz wrote:
>> today I noticed that yum-priorities is not anymore in the base distribution -
>> a fact that seems to be well documented. However the yum-utils src rpm still
>> builds that package.
>
> you might also want to follow the bugreports at bugs.centos.org about
> this issue

Very good idea. :-O

This is the one to follow:

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=4031
( yum-priorities is out by the way )

Akemi

Karanbir Singh 01-16-2010 07:11 PM

why is the addons repo empty?

On 01/15/2010 08:42 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:

> http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=4031
> ( yum-priorities is out by the way )

I'll try and get this one sorted out today sometime.

- KB