Old 12-08-2009, 11:35 PM
Geerd-Dietger Hoffmann

Default Donating?

Hey

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 5:12 PM, R P Herrold <herrold@centos.org> wrote:

> Mirror, hardware, and colo/bandwidth are received through:
> * * * * http://wiki.centos.org/Donate
>
> See also the link off the Donate bar at:
> * * * * http://www.centos.org/
> which redirects to:
>
> http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=23
> and an email to a monitored address at:
> * * * * donate.at.centos.org

Something the promo team has been doing for a while is selling stuff under [1]

So if you want a shirt or similar that is the place to look.

Cheers Didi

[1] http://wiki.centos.org/Promo/Box

--

My www page: www.ribalba.de
Email / Jabber: ribalba@gmail.com

Old 12-09-2009, 02:46 PM
R P Herrold

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009, Geerd-Dietger Hoffmann wrote:

> Something the promo team has been doing for a while is selling stuff under [1]
>
> So if you want a shirt or similar that is the place to look.

> [1] http://wiki.centos.org/Promo/Box

The page is all of five days old, and the 'promo team money
box and used to help CentOS' was unknown to me. Additionally
the use of an outside (non-centos) email address to receive
monies is not something that has been brought to, nor approved
by the dev team.

I am unsettled by this at first read, as the location of the
content carries the implicit approval of being in on a
moderated part of 'centos.org', compared, contra, to the ad
hoc 'fan boi' enthusiasm, boosterism and advocacy, the
forum, mailing list and their archives, and the newsletter
[over which no editorial control is exercised by the dev
team]).

I'll add a review of this to the next dev team agenda for the
team to discuss the matter.

-- Russ herrold

Old 12-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Alan Bartlett

2009/12/9 R P Herrold <herrold@centos.org>:
> On Wed, 9 Dec 2009, Geerd-Dietger Hoffmann wrote:
>
>> Something the promo team has been doing for a while is selling stuff under [1]
>>
>> So if you want a shirt or similar that is the place to look.
>
>> [1] http://wiki.centos.org/Promo/Box
>
> The page is all of five days old, and the 'promo team money
> box and used to help CentOS' was unknown to me. *Additionally
> the use of an outside (non-centos) email address to receive
> monies is not something that has been brought to, nor approved
> by the dev team.
>
> I am unsettled by this at first read, as the location of the
> content carries the implicit approval of being in on a
> moderated part of 'centos.org', compared, contra, to the ad
> hoc 'fan boi' enthusiasm, boosterism and advocacy, the
> forum, mailing list and their archives, and the newsletter
> [over which no editorial control is exercised by the dev
> team]).
>
> I'll add a review of this to the next dev team agenda for the
> team to discuss the matter.
>
> -- Russ herrold

Russ,

I also share your concern, though I'm sure Didi and the members of
that SIG (?) mean no harm. I suspect that the message was sent to this
thread in a burst of enthusiasm . . .

As you have said previously, the entire realm of donations needs to be
configured correctly -- be it financial or otherwise.

Alan.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:54 PM
R P Herrold

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009, Alan Bartlett wrote:

> 2009/12/9 R P Herrold <herrold@centos.org>:

>> I am unsettled by this at first read, as the location of the

> I also share your concern, though I'm sure Didi and the members of
> that SIG (?) mean no harm. I suspect that the message was sent to this
> thread in a burst of enthusiasm . . .

I re-wrote my email a bit to get just the words I meant to
say -- 'unsettled ... at first read' was and is designed to
not imply anything more than startled by the exuberance

I spent a day of my life two days ago wrestling a collection
of Debian Testing into 'current' that broke a distcc compile
farm, and kde. ... and I cannot stomp out ipv6 there so far.

I guess I am just a tired old dog -- All I want is for my
enterprise grade OS to 'just work' so I may toil at the
frontier of other matters

-- Russ herrold