Old 11-25-2009, 03:30 AM
Ernesto Celis

Default LiveCD rebuild with persistence enabled

Hello

I don't know if this is the right list to post this, if it's not plese feel free to ponting me in the right direction.

I was needing a LiveCD persistence capable to dum it into an external HDD and be able to work outside office with the customers. So I rebuilt the i386 CentOS LiveCD to make it persistence capable.

I also made a little modification to the livecd-iso-to-disk script, so it creates the persistence file on an ext3 filesystem, since I have had bad experiences running linux live distros over FAT.

If this is of your interest, let me know.

Saludos
Ernesto Celis (Usuario Linux #323140)
irc.freenode.net #centos-es

Old 11-25-2009, 06:33 AM
Geerd-Dietger Hoffmann

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 4:30 AM, Ernesto Celis
<celisdelafuente@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I don't know if this is the right list to post this, if it's not plese feel
> free to ponting me in the right direction.
>
> I was needing a LiveCD persistence capable to dum it into an external HDD
> and be able to work outside office with the customers. So I rebuilt the i386
> CentOS LiveCD to make it persistence capable.
>
> I also made a little modification to the livecd-iso-to-disk script, so it
> creates the persistence file on an ext3 filesystem, since I have had bad
> experiences running linux live distros over FAT.
>
> If this is of your interest, let me know.

Do you want to share your information about doing this? Then the docs
mailing list would be the correct place [1].

Or are you having problems doing this?

Sorry I am not getting the problem? Possibly too early in the day so
my brain is not up for it

Cheers Didi

> Saludos
> Ernesto Celis (Usuario Linux #323140)
> irc.freenode.net #centos-es

My www page: www.ribalba.de
Email / Jabber: ribalba@gmail.com
Skype : ribalba

Old 11-25-2009, 06:57 AM
Ernesto Celis

2009/11/25 Geerd-Dietger Hoffmann <ribalba@gmail.com>

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 4:30 AM, Ernesto Celis

<celisdelafuente@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello

> I don't know if this is the right list to post this, if it's not plese feel

> free to ponting me in the right direction.

> I was needing a LiveCD persistence capable to dum it into an external HDD

> and be able to work outside office with the customers. So I rebuilt the i386

> CentOS LiveCD to make it persistence capable.

> I also made a little modification to the livecd-iso-to-disk script, so it

> creates the persistence file on an ext3 filesystem, since I have had bad

> experiences running linux live distros over FAT.

> If this is of your interest, let me know.

Do you want to share your information about doing this? Then the docs

mailing list would be the correct place [1].

No, the information for doing this is very clear in the LiveCD project page.

I asked on IRC a few days ago if someone had rebuilt the LiveCD with persistence and was willing to share it, and Karanbir asked me to tell him if I was going to build my own.

That is why I'm posting here, I was lazy to see if he was loged in irc.

I didn't want to post this on the centos list, to avoid other users who may wish the feature for a while, until I see if it is wise to let them (the other users) know.

*

Or are you having problems doing this?

No problem (until now), but thank you any way.
*

Sorry I am not getting the problem? Possibly too early in the day so

my brain is not up for it

A cup of coffee I suggest
*

Cheers Didi

Old 11-25-2009, 09:17 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 11/25/2009 07:57 AM, Ernesto Celis wrote:
> No, the information for doing this is very clear in the LiveCD project page.

Thats interesting, why then do we not turn this feature on for the
regular livecd's we are doing for CentOS-5 ?

--
Karanbir Singh
London, UK | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh

Old 11-25-2009, 01:24 PM
Patrice Guay

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 11/25/2009 07:57 AM, Ernesto Celis wrote:
>> No, the information for doing this is very clear in the LiveCD project page.
>
> Thats interesting, why then do we not turn this feature on for the
> regular livecd's we are doing for CentOS-5 ?

A month ago (October 28th to be exact), I posted to the centos-devel
list an announcement stating that the livecd-tools had been updated to
support the persistence feature. Maybe it passed under the radar...

The CentOS LiveCD project documentation has been updated and now
contains instructions on how to create a LiveUSB media with a persistent
overlay:
https://projects.centos.org/trac/livecd/wiki/ImageFlash

--
Patrice

Old 11-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 11/25/2009 02:24 PM, Patrice Guay wrote:
> A month ago (October 28th to be exact), I posted to the centos-devel
> list an announcement stating that the livecd-tools had been updated to
> support the persistence feature. Maybe it passed under the radar...

I see the email now - it got included in a thread that was spread over
multiple lists. Apologies for totally missing that!