-   -   suspend event channel support for xen domU (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-development/281409-suspend-event-channel-support-xen-domu.html)

Tait Clarridge 11-16-2009 08:41 PM

suspend event channel support for xen domU

Hey Guys,

Is there any plan to merge suspend event channel support into the CentOS
kernel-xen package?

Just doing some work with remus and it is required for PV domU support.
I can build my own kernels for now, but was wondering if there is a
roadmap for this or whether it is something that needs to be worked on
(I can help with testing if required).

Best,
Tait Clarridge

Karanbir Singh 11-16-2009 08:55 PM

On 11/16/2009 09:41 PM, Tait Clarridge wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> Is there any plan to merge suspend event channel support into the CentOS
> kernel-xen package?
>
> Just doing some work with remus and it is required for PV domU support.
> I can build my own kernels for now, but was wondering if there is a
> roadmap for this or whether it is something that needs to be worked on
> (I can help with testing if required).

Akemi,

potential for the plus kernel ?

- KB

Akemi Yagi 11-16-2009 09:26 PM

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> On 11/16/2009 09:41 PM, Tait Clarridge wrote:

>> Is there any plan to merge suspend event channel support into the CentOS
>> kernel-xen package?
>>
>> Just doing some work with remus and it is required for PV domU support.
>> I can build my own kernels for now, but was wondering if there is a
>> roadmap for this or whether it is something that needs to be worked on
>> (I can help with testing if required).
>
> Akemi,
>
> potential for the plus kernel ?
>
> - KB

Only if I could get more details on the "suspend event channel"
support. What exactly needs to be changed in the kernel?

Akemi

Tait Clarridge 11-16-2009 09:35 PM

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 14:26 -0800, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> > On 11/16/2009 09:41 PM, Tait Clarridge wrote:
>
> >> Is there any plan to merge suspend event channel support into the CentOS
> >> kernel-xen package?
> >>
> >> Just doing some work with remus and it is required for PV domU support.
> >> I can build my own kernels for now, but was wondering if there is a
> >> roadmap for this or whether it is something that needs to be worked on
> >> (I can help with testing if required).
> >
> > Akemi,
> >
> > potential for the plus kernel ?
> >
> > - KB
>
> Only if I could get more details on the "suspend event channel"
> support. What exactly needs to be changed in the kernel?
>
> Akemi

To be honest, I am not quite sure "exactly" what it entails, but I think
it is related to:

http://xenbits.xen.org/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg?rev/cdadea74443c

I can double check with the xen list and post back if you would like.

Tait

Akemi Yagi 11-16-2009 10:21 PM

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Tait Clarridge <tait@clarridge.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 14:26 -0800, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

> To be honest, I am not quite sure "exactly" what it entails, but I think
> it is related to:
>
> http://xenbits.xen.org/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg?rev/cdadea74443c
>
> I can double check with the xen list and post back if you would like.

Porting those patches to the CentOS kernel may not be straightforward.
The first file does not exist in CentOS. The second file exists but
looks a bit different. So, if someone can offer a version applicable
to the CentOS kernel, that would be great.

Akemi

Tait Clarridge 11-16-2009 10:26 PM

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 15:21 -0800, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Tait Clarridge <tait@clarridge.ca> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 14:26 -0800, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> >> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
>
> > To be honest, I am not quite sure "exactly" what it entails, but I think
> > it is related to:
> >
> > http://xenbits.xen.org/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg?rev/cdadea74443c
> >
> > I can double check with the xen list and post back if you would like.
>
> Porting those patches to the CentOS kernel may not be straightforward.
> The first file does not exist in CentOS. The second file exists but
> looks a bit different. So, if someone can offer a version applicable
> to the CentOS kernel, that would be great.
>
> Akemi

I will talk to the developer who wrote those patches and see what he/we
can do to make it more CentOS friendly.

Thanks for the input, I will get back to the list if anything comes from
this.

Best,
Tait