Old 11-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Default deltarpm and presto for centos

Am 16.11.09 11:26, schrieb Jonathan Dieter:
> On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 11:06 +0100, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>> Like: Updates for 5.x are x GB without prestom but only y GB with
>> presto? How much additional space will be required on the mirrors? Other
>> things which might be needed to make a decision?
>
> In my presto-enabled CentOS 5.4 i386 mirror, the deltarpms take up 91MB
> (compared to 1.2GB for the actual RPMS).

Hmmm. 5.3 would be a bit more interesting, as it had a "complete round"
of updates, but ...

So would you say that ~10% seems like a workable rule of thumb?

Another question: Can those repos be mixed or do I have to have an
"updates/" and an "updates.presto/" directory?

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 11-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Jonathan Dieter

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 12:52 +0100, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Am 16.11.09 11:26, schrieb Jonathan Dieter:
> > On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 11:06 +0100, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> >> Like: Updates for 5.x are x GB without prestom but only y GB with
> >> presto? How much additional space will be required on the mirrors? Other
> >> things which might be needed to make a decision?
> >
> > In my presto-enabled CentOS 5.4 i386 mirror, the deltarpms take up 91MB
> > (compared to 1.2GB for the actual RPMS).
>
> Hmmm. 5.3 would be a bit more interesting, as it had a "complete round"
> of updates, but ...

Unfortunately, I cleared out all of the 5.3 deltarpms when I updated to
5.4. I did do deltarpms from 5.3+updates (or was it just 5.3, I'm
afraid I don't remember) to 5.4, and it came to 151MB of deltarpms.

> So would you say that ~10% seems like a workable rule of thumb?

In Fedora, it's much larger (closer to 25% - 30%), but I think that has
to do with the fact that in my mirrors, I throw away any deltarpms that
save less than 50%, while Fedora seems to keep all generated deltarpms.
Also, Fedora goes through far more updates in a cycle (and the updates
tend to have bigger changes) than CentOS.

I just wish I had kept the 5.3 deltarpms so I could give you a better
idea.

> Another question: Can those repos be mixed or do I have to have an
> "updates/" and an "updates.presto/" directory?

Normally, the deltarpms are dumped into "updates/drpms/", while the
regular rpms stay in "updates/". One of the most important requirements
for yum-presto is that it falls back on regular rpms if the preferred
deltarpm doesn't exist, so it's built on top of the regular yum
procedure rather than replacing it.

Hope that clarifies things.

Jonathan

Old 11-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Farkas Levente

On 11/15/2009 08:28 PM, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-11-15 at 19:30 +0100, Farkas Levente wrote:
>> ok let make things more specific:
>>
>> deltarpm in epel 3.4-8.el5.1 while in fedora 3.5-0.4.20090913git is
>> there any significant/relevant changes? when do you plan 3.5 release?
>
> I'm currently building it and will push it to testing ASAP. The main
> difference is that it supports xz-compressed RPMS (which shouldn't
> matter for CentOS) and it has a python API (which will be useful).
>
>> i'd be useful to add yum-presto to epel too. at the same time which
>> version required by yum-presto? in rhel/centos-5 yum-3.2.22 included,
>> but i read somewhere (and i can't find now where) that at least
>> yum-3.2.23 required. so what's the correct version?
>
> I think presto should work with any modern version of yum, including
> 3.2.22. In fact, I have at various times used it on my CentOS 5 boxes.
> I'll see about branching it for EPEL.
>
>> also a presto-utils would be useful in epel. rebuilding from fedora
>> presto-utils-0.3.4-3 gives this error:
> <snip>
>> it's be useful to be at least a minimal manual how we can use these
>> tools and and who we can generate deltarpms.
>
> Fedora is using createrepo, not presto-utils to generate their
> deltarpms. Presto-utils should be deprecated (or at least, mainly used
> for pruning out old drpms, etc).

FYI:
now i able to do build and run delta update on my systems, but there was
a few problems:
- i use http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/'s
createrepo-0.9.8-2.el5 for generating deltarpms and delta repo and use
fedora's yum-presto.
- unfortunately this version of createrepo is not able to generate sha1
checksum for the repo (at least even if i set it on the command line
i've got a python stack trace), but rhel/centos-5 doesn't have sha256 in
python my default so you've to install python-hashlib and add createrepo
to depend on it. imho it's a createrepo bug.
- and also remove the versioned yum req from createrepo since 5.4's yum
is enough.
- but as it generate sha256 checksum i also have to add python-hashlib
req for yum-presto (otherwise it can't check the checksum on the client
side).

ps. another strange problem that in one of our internal rpm the deltarpm
rebuild failed:
<delta rebuild>
93%
[================================================== =======================-
] 521 kB/s | 180 MB 00:25 ETA
//var/cache/yum/xxx-beta-4.2.1-5082/deltas/xxx-4.2.0-4763.el5_4.2.1-5082.el5.i386.drpm:
md5 mismatch of result
<delta rebuild> | 193 MB 05:11
Error rebuilding rpm from xxx-4.2.0-4763.el5_4.2.1-5082.el5.i386.drpm!
Will download full package.
Presto reduced the update size by 74% (from 193 M to 51 M).

Old 11-18-2009, 02:19 PM
Seth Vidal

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, Farkas Levente wrote:

> FYI:
> now i able to do build and run delta update on my systems, but there was
> a few problems:
> - i use http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/'s
> createrepo-0.9.8-2.el5 for generating deltarpms and delta repo and use
> fedora's yum-presto.
> - unfortunately this version of createrepo is not able to generate sha1
> checksum for the repo (at least even if i set it on the command line
> i've got a python stack trace), but rhel/centos-5 doesn't have sha256 in
> python my default so you've to install python-hashlib and add createrepo
> to depend on it. imho it's a createrepo bug.

createrepo -s sha /path/

works just fine for me on 0.9.8-2

If you have a bug, file it.

-sv