-   -   Lang subsites/ portals (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-development/273300-lang-subsites-portals.html)

Karanbir Singh 11-02-2009 11:17 AM

Lang subsites/ portals

hi guys,

I was wondering if we can have a 45 min to 60 min chat on voice
regarding the language subsites that have been worked on / planned and
also been setup to some extent.

There is content on the wiki that sort of sum's up most of the effort
that has gone in - but I think it would be good for all of us if the
following people were to sync up once:

- Infrastructure
- Artwork
- French People
- Spanish People
- German People
- Portuguese ( Brazil ) People

We dont actually have a web team at the moment, but the Infra team
should be a good representative of that side of things.

And anyone else who wants to come along ( specially if more Language
groups than mentioned above want to get involved at this stage ).

CentOS has a voip setup in place, that also has some dial in numbers for
the US, UK and Germany - and of-course other people can join over voip
from anywhere in the world. We will try and get some instructions on
howto achieve this online well in advance.

I am going to propose having this conversation on the 18th Nov at 1945 UTC.

--
Karanbir Singh
London, UK | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh

Fabian Arrotin 11-02-2009 11:29 AM

Lang subsites/ portals

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> I was wondering if we can have a 45 min to 60 min chat on voice
> regarding the language subsites that have been worked on / planned and
> also been setup to some extent.
>
> There is content on the wiki that sort of sum's up most of the effort
> that has gone in - but I think it would be good for all of us if the
> following people were to sync up once:
>
> - Infrastructure
> - Artwork
> - French People
> - Spanish People
> - German People
> - Portuguese ( Brazil ) People
>
> We dont actually have a web team at the moment, but the Infra team
> should be a good representative of that side of things.
>
> And anyone else who wants to come along ( specially if more Language
> groups than mentioned above want to get involved at this stage ).
>
> CentOS has a voip setup in place, that also has some dial in numbers for
> the US, UK and Germany - and of-course other people can join over voip
> from anywhere in the world. We will try and get some instructions on
> howto achieve this online well in advance.
>
> I am going to propose having this conversation on the 18th Nov at 1945 UTC.

Good idea. I've myself another meeting that day but i'd normally be able
to jump in the conversation later ( ~20:15 UTC)

Fabian Arrotin
idea=`grep -i clue /dev/brain`
test -z "$idea" && echo "sorry, init 6 in progress" || sh ./answer.sh

Marcus Moeller 11-02-2009 11:35 AM

Lang subsites/ portals

Dear Karan,

>> We dont actually have a web team at the moment, but the Infra team
>> should be a good representative of that side of things.
>>
>> And anyone else who wants to come along ( specially if more Language
>> groups than mentioned above want to get involved at this stage ).
>>
>> CentOS has a voip setup in place, that also has some dial in numbers for
>> the US, UK and Germany - and of-course other people can join over voip
>> from anywhere in the world. We will try and get some instructions on
>> howto achieve this online well in advance.
>>
>> I am going to propose having this conversation on the 18th Nov at 1945 UTC.

Would be okay for me, too.

Best Regards
Marcus

Cleber Souza 11-02-2009 12:09 PM

Lang subsites/ portals

OK for me too.

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 10:35 AM, Marcus Moeller <mail@marcus-moeller.de> wrote:
> Dear Karan,
>
>>> We dont actually have a web team at the moment, but the Infra team
>>> should be a good representative of that side of things.
>>>
>>> And anyone else who wants to come along ( specially if more Language
>>> groups than mentioned above want to get involved at this stage ).
>>>
>>> CentOS has a voip setup in place, that also has some dial in numbers for
>>> the US, UK and Germany - and of-course other people can join over voip
>>> from anywhere in the world. We will try and get some instructions on
>>> howto achieve this online well in advance.
>>>
>>> I am going to propose having this conversation on the 18th Nov at 1945 UTC.
>
> Would be okay for me, too.
>
> Best Regards
> Marcus

Cleber Paiva de Souza

Fabian Arrotin 11-17-2009 06:32 PM

Lang subsites/ portals

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> <snip>
>
> CentOS has a voip setup in place, that also has some dial in numbers for
> the US, UK and Germany - and of-course other people can join over voip
> from anywhere in the world. We will try and get some instructions on
> howto achieve this online well in advance.

As the meeting is scheduled for tomorrow, can we have details about how
to connect , etc ?

Karanbir Singh 11-17-2009 10:46 PM

Lang subsites/ portals

On 11/17/2009 07:32 PM, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> As the meeting is scheduled for tomorrow, can we have details about how
> to connect , etc ?

make sure you have functional voip ( as in you should be able to
register with a voip service already - and be able to call a voip id
like : <number>@voip.centos.org

the exact conf code / number will be posted to #centos-devel on
irc.freenode.net an hour before the call is to take place.

We do have dial in pstn numbers for the UK and the US - so if you need
or prefer those ( they are al regional numbers, not toll free ) ping me
there in #centos-devel and I will pass them onto you.

Karanbir Singh 11-18-2009 06:32 PM

Lang subsites/ portals

On 02/11/09 12:17, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> I am going to propose having this conversation on the 18th Nov at 1945 UTC.

People interested in this meeting should drop into #centos-devel
/irc.freenode.net and get details on where to connect. I am in there now
( On the irc channel, and the conf room )

- KB

Karanbir Singh 11-19-2009 11:23 AM

Lang subsites/ portals

Hi,

The meeting last evening was mostly fruitful. There were 4 major points
that came through:

1) Do we want the language specific content to go in as
<lang>.centos.org with forums and a small portal behind each one of
those ( like fr.centos.org ) - or is it more userfriendly to have the
resources abstracted out and each language specific content being marked
in different namespace from the english content - eg. wiki.centos.org
and wiki.centos.org/es . This would imply a forums.centos.org comes up
and the spanish specific content is held at forums.centos.org/es

2) A unified login setup is considered fairly high value, so one
username/password would work across all the various *.centos.org sites.
There are a few different ways to achieve this, however only when the
user facing decisions are made will we look into this so as to not waste
time with options that are not usable or will not be usable in the final
setup.

3) We want to ideally only have one instance of any bit of software, and
have that support the languages natively. If there isnt any support for
multiple languages - consider what is involved in bringing that language
support in.

4) Most of the people who attended the talk where people who dont
themselves either use the forums or know much about them and how they
are used - so the idea came up to put together a set of questions, and
then have the existing forum users and list users provide some feedback.
Exactly what these questions need to be, is something that needs working
on. A wiki page will get setup and we can all put in suggestions.

During the meeting it was agreed that we would discuss these points here
in the lists so as to get some traction around them. And then have
another 45 min chat[1] in a few weeks time to recap on development and
also to finalise what questions need to be in the questionnaire.

- KB

[1]: so if you are 40 min late, dont be surprised if everyone else
leaves after 5 minutes :)

Cleber Souza 11-19-2009 11:55 PM

Lang subsites/ portals

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The meeting last evening was mostly fruitful. There were 4 major points
> that came through:
>
> 1) Do we want the language specific content to go in as
> <lang>.centos.org with forums and a small portal behind each one of
> those ( like fr.centos.org ) - or is it more userfriendly to have the
> resources abstracted out and each language specific content being marked
> in different namespace from the english content - eg. wiki.centos.org
> and wiki.centos.org/es . This would imply a forums.centos.org comes up
> and the spanish specific content is held at forums.centos.org/es
>
> 2) A unified login setup is considered fairly high value, so one
> username/password would work across all the various *.centos.org sites.
> There are a few different ways to achieve this, however only when the
> user facing decisions are made will we look into this so as to not waste
> time with options that are not usable or will not be usable in the final
> setup.

1 and 2 are easily done using Drupal.
I think that either options have their benefits and we are used to
encounter both scenarios in a dozen of websites over there.

For users that know the direct site, they will remember the direct
link to the language specify website. For others, the entry point will
be www.centos.org that will have a list of language specific websites
or even could redirect the user to the properly website based on
users' web browser language settings. For the last option, should be
default to all language specific websites have a drop-down list
containing all language specific websites available.

> 3) We want to ideally only have one instance of any bit of software, and
> have that support the languages natively. If there isnt any support for
> multiple languages - consider what is involved in bringing that language
> support in.

Again, Drupal has all the resources and modules to all this
internationalization contents.
Users are first redirect to the website based on the browser settings
and could set the preferred language into their profile.

For news and most of the contents, the same content have place for all
the necessary translations, defaulting to english when the translation
is not ready. It seem to me excellent for the primary page, news and
general contents. For forums I have tested nothing yet.

> 4) Most of the people who attended the talk where people who dont
> themselves either use the forums or know much about them and how they
> are used - so the idea came up to put together a set of questions, and
> then have the existing forum users and list users provide some feedback.
> Exactly what these questions need to be, is something that needs working
> on. A wiki page will get setup and we can all put in suggestions.

I have done little use of the forums.

> During the meeting it was agreed that we would discuss these points here
> in the lists so as to get some traction around them. And then have
> another 45 min chat[1] in a few weeks time to recap on development and
> also to finalise what questions need to be in the questionnaire.

I think I was in [1] :)

> - KB
>
> [1]: so if you are 40 min late, dont be surprised if everyone else
> leaves after 5 minutes :)

Cleber Paiva de Souza

Graeme Spence 11-20-2009 12:03 AM

Lang subsites/ portals

4) Most of the people who attended the talk where people who dont
themselves either use the forums or know much about them and how they
are used - so the idea came up to put together a set of questions, and
then have the existing forum users and list users provide some feedback.
Exactly what these questions need to be, is something that needs working
on. A wiki page will get setup and we can all put in suggestions.

Not to over extend my welcome, but I'm still subscribed to the mailing lists from the last discussions on forums/site. Still active on the Simple Machines Team producing SMF, but I could probably help out with general forum "stuff" with whatever choice is taken. Can probably answer most questions on usage and trends.
CentOS-devel mailing list
CentOS-devel@centos.org