Old 11-20-2009, 06:58 AM
Marcus Moeller

Default Lang subsites/ portals

Hi all.

> 4) Most of the people who attended the talk where people who dont
> themselves either use the forums or know much about them and how they
> are used - so the idea came up to put together a set of questions, and
> then have the existing forum users and list users provide some feedback.
> Exactly what these questions need to be, is something that needs working
> on. A wiki page will get setup and we can all put in suggestions.
>
> Not to over extend my welcome, but I'm still subscribed to the mailing lists
> from the last discussions on forums/site. Still active on the Simple
> Machines Team producing SMF, but I could probably help out with general
> forum "stuff" with whatever choice is taken. Can probably answer most
> questions on usage and trends.

I guess the question is not about which software should be used. There
has been an evaluation process in the past:

http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/forums

and migration scripts from new-bb to phpbb are already available and
ready for testing:

http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/forums/newbb_to_phpbb

The question is how a setup should look like, and imho something like:

forums.centos.org - holding the main english forums
and
forums.centos.org/$LANG for language specific forums

is a good solution and would match the actual wiki layout.

Besides that, I still think a section within the main forum (like
French CentOS support) and a multilingual forum backend should fit in
first place. If the demand is getting higher a real subforum in forum
of forums.centos.org/$LANG could be created.

Best Regards
Marcus

Old 11-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 11/20/2009 12:55 AM, Cleber Souza wrote:
> 1 and 2 are easily done using Drupal.

At this time, were not really interested in even considering what
software is to be used or how its going to be used. The focus really
*does* need to be on what the end result would look like along with some
user stories, we can then work back from there and work out what needs
done and how.

--
Karanbir Singh
London, UK | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh

Old 11-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Cleber Souza

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 5:58 AM, Marcus Moeller <mail@marcus-moeller.de> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
>> 4) Most of the people who attended the talk where people who dont
>> themselves either use the forums or know much about them and how they
>> are used - so the idea came up to put together a set of questions, and
>> then have the existing forum users and list users provide some feedback.
>> Exactly what these questions need to be, is something that needs working
>> on. A wiki page will get setup and we can all put in suggestions.
>>
>> Not to over extend my welcome, but I'm still subscribed to the mailing lists
>> from the last discussions on forums/site. Still active on the Simple
>> Machines Team producing SMF, but I could probably help out with general
>> forum "stuff" with whatever choice is taken. Can probably answer most
>> questions on usage and trends.
>
> I guess the question is not about which software should be used. There
> has been an evaluation process in the past:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/forums
>
> and migration scripts from new-bb to phpbb are already available and
> ready for testing:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/forums/newbb_to_phpbb

Sorry, I saw this link in the past.
My intended was just to cite a tool that solve by itself all the
questions about internationalization.

> The question is how a setup should look like, and imho something like:
>
> forums.centos.org - holding the main english forums
> and
> forums.centos.org/$LANG for language specific forums

I personally like this kind of organization.

> is a good solution and would match the actual wiki layout.
>
> Besides that, I still think a section within the main forum (like
> French CentOS support) and a multilingual forum backend should fit in
> first place. If the demand is getting higher a real subforum in forum
> of forums.centos.org/$LANG could be created.
>
> Best Regards
> Marcus

Cleber Paiva de Souza

Old 11-23-2009, 09:21 PM
Jerry Amundson

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 4:38 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> On 11/20/2009 12:55 AM, Cleber Souza wrote:
>> 1 and 2 are easily done using Drupal.
>
> At this time, were not really interested in even considering what

I think "we" should be interested in alternatives. A "WebsiteVer2"
should be a big deal. A great "look". Hell, even a "marketing tool".
So far, is it more than a forum conversion?

I realize I'm not part of the dev "inner circle", but I've been in
open and non-open source long enough to see when a project should be
reviewed for better long-term benefits. But, that's just "me".

jerry

Old 11-24-2009, 09:07 AM
Karanbir Singh

Hi Jerry,

On 11/23/2009 10:21 PM, Jerry Amundson wrote:
>>> 1 and 2 are easily done using Drupal.
>> At this time, were not really interested in even considering what
> I think "we" should be interested in alternatives. A "WebsiteVer2"
> should be a big deal. A great "look". Hell, even a "marketing tool".
> So far, is it more than a forum conversion?

You seem confused, and I think also need to actually go through whats
been said and about what.

The bit that you seem to have read and completely missed out is that
were not interested in what software is going to be used - lets focus on
what needs to be done, built around some user stories and then see what
software meets the requirements.

The brain-dead idea that we seem to live with, often, in the open source
world is to shoehorn a user experience into the software-of-the-day.
Lets not try and go down that route.

Is this clear enough ?

Old 11-24-2009, 08:36 PM
Jerry Amundson

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 4:07 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> Hi Jerry,

Hello!

>>> At this time, were not really interested in even considering what
>> I think "we" should be interested in alternatives. A "WebsiteVer2"
>> should be a big deal. A great "look". Hell, even a "marketing tool".
>> So far, is it more than a forum conversion?
>
> You seem confused, and I think also need to actually go through whats
> been said and about what.

You're right, of course, so I did, starting with this thread.

> The bit that you seem to have read and completely missed out is that
> were not interested in what software is going to be used - lets focus on
> what needs to be done, built around some user stories and then see what
> software meets the requirements.

Yes, I agree to those points and didn't "miss" them. The scope
described above makes sense.

> The brain-dead idea that we seem to live with, often, in the open source
> world is to shoehorn a user experience into the software-of-the-day.
> Lets not try and go down that route.

OK. The following bit gives the impression, however, that such a route
has been partly "mapped out":
On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 1:58 AM, Marcus Moeller <mail@marcus-moeller.de> wrote:
> I guess the question is not about which software should be used. There
> has been an evaluation process in the past:
> http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/forums
>
> and migration scripts from new-bb to phpbb are already available and
> ready for testing:
> http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/forums/newbb_to_phpbb

Blech! Now I see - I interpreted the existence of "migration scripts"
to mean that phpBB was decided as the forum platform, however they are
there for the eval process also.

Sorry for the noise,
jerry

Old 11-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Karanbir Singh

Hi Jerry,

On 11/24/2009 09:36 PM, Jerry Amundson wrote:
>> were not interested in what software is going to be used - lets focus on
>> what needs to be done, built around some user stories and then see what
>> software meets the requirements.
>
> Yes, I agree to those points and didn't "miss" them. The scope
> described above makes sense.

One thing that came up on the phone conf the other day was that we might
be going about this whole process the wrong way and what we might want
to do - need not really reflect what makes life easier for the users and
gets a good knowledge base built around existing resources.

The other thing is that while forums were a big part of the
language-subsites-issue, none of the people on the conf were really
forum users.

Which is why it was decided to come up with a set of questions we cna
put out there for everyone to answer, and then have a recap meeting in a
few weeks time.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:00 PM
Jerry Amundson

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 6:23 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> The meeting last evening was mostly fruitful. There were 4 major points
> that came through:
>
> 1) Do we want the language specific content to go in as
> <lang>.centos.org with forums and a small portal behind each one of
> those ( like fr.centos.org ) - or is it more userfriendly to have the
> resources abstracted out and each language specific content being marked
> in different namespace from the english content - eg. wiki.centos.org
> and wiki.centos.org/es . This would imply a forums.centos.org comes up
> and the spanish specific content is held at forums.centos.org/es

I like centos.org and *.centos.org to be english content, with
non-english at *.centos.org/xx and centos.org/xx. That's leaves * open
for infrastructure issues - certificates, servers, odd or legacy
software, etc.

> 2) A unified login setup is considered fairly high value, so one
> username/password would work across all the various *.centos.org sites.
> There are a few different ways to achieve this, however only when the
> user facing decisions are made will we look into this so as to not waste
> time with options that are not usable or will not be usable in the final
> setup.

Good.

> 3) We want to ideally only have one instance of any bit of software, and
> have that support the languages natively. If there isnt any support for
> multiple languages - consider what is involved in bringing that language
> support in.

Yes, reasonable. A tangent which could apply here, is if there can be,
or needs to be, the capability of a sort of language-wheel for
*contributed* content. The example could be a wiki page that userA
creates in english, then userB translates to *.centos.org/xB in
his/her language... really more of a procedural/workflow item, and not
tied to software capabilities though, now that I read it back. [3a]

OTOH, forums are another matter. I see most implement multi-lang as
sections/categories within the single "forum" site, which of course is
contrary to 1. above, and the forum model is not conducive to my
language-wheel idea. But then, for this and other reasons, I'm not
fond of forums anyway...

> 4) Most of the people who attended the talk where people who dont
> themselves either use the forums or know much about them and how they
> are used - so the idea came up to put together a set of questions, and
> then have the existing forum users and list users provide some feedback.
> Exactly what these questions need to be, is something that needs working
> on. A wiki page will get setup and we can all put in suggestions.

Maybe something like http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/Feedback
or whatever is chosen... no matter to me.

jerry

[3a] fr

en
/