Old 10-29-2009, 12:32 AM
Patrice Guay

Default Updated livecd building tool

http://filteredperception.org/downloads/overlay/20091027/livecd-tools-014-6dmc.src.rpm

> >> I've successfully tested something that either is equivalent to
> >> that build, or very very close. But I'll put out a really tested
> >> srpm in a couple more days, which hopefully will also have the
> >> useful separate-filesystem persistenthome feature, as well as the
> >> global persistence incorporated here.
> >>
> > I will take a look at this updated version of livecd-tools. To
> > incorporate this version into the current livecd-tools project, I
> > will explode your source RPM, examine and pick the relevant
> > patches.
>
> The patches themselves were all just vanilla downloads from
> the gitweb 'raw' links. I believe I only put relevant patches in.
> Or rather, I think I took all the patches up to the mayflower split
> because I knew they would apply, then after that only took relevant,
> or what seemed like really useful patches.
>
> [...] LiveUSB persistence [could] be much more usable. I.e.
> currently your overlay file resources can and do get drained by
> created and deleted files that the block layer at the moment doesn't
> handle as efficiently as possible. This is also the reason why you
> might want /home on a seperately mounted, not-dm-shapshotted loopback
> file ala the persistenthome feature.

I updated the livecd-tools package from version 014-5 to 014-7. This update introduces new interesting features:
- adding the persistence feature (persistent overlay) - thanks to Douglas McClendon
- fixing /usr/bin/livecd-iso-to-pxeboot script: was broken in the previous versions of livecd-tools 014
- creating a minimal /dev instead of bind mounting the host's /dev

You will need to recreate a LiveCD ISO image with livecd-tools 014-7 in order to use the new '--overlay-size-mb' switch of the livecd-iso-to-disk utility. If you use an older LiveCD ISO image, the overlay will be ignored.

See https://projects.centos.org/trac/livecd/wiki/ImageFlash for instructions about creating a LiveUSB media with a persistent overlay.

--
Patrice

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4553 (20091028) __________