Old 03-25-2009, 09:11 AM
Thiago Avelino

Default RPM of BrOffice.org

Morning staff, here in Brazil we can not be using OpenOffice.org
because of trademarks and patents, I am sending the mirror of
BrOffice.org that in the mirror of the CentOS-BR.org

http://mirror.centos-br.org/broffice/stable/3.0.1/RPMS/

It would be very good for the people that download the CentOS here in
Brazil the BrOffice.org already came installed.

--
att.

Thiago Avelino
Programador | SysAdmin
Linux User: #484673
Asterisk User: #63483
Digium User: D1039273
São Paulo - SP / Brasil
www.avelino.us | www.centos-br.org

Linkedin | linkedin.com/in/thiagoavelinoster
Twitter | twitter.com/thiagoavelinost
JustinTV | justin.tv/thiagoavelino

Old 03-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Karanbir Singh

Thiago Avelino wrote:
> Morning staff, here in Brazil we can not be using OpenOffice.org
> because of trademarks and patents, I am sending the mirror of
> BrOffice.org that in the mirror of the CentOS-BR.org

Can you point at some more info regarding this issue ? exactly what is
the problem ?

- KB

Old 03-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 07:11:21AM -0300, Thiago Avelino wrote:
> Morning staff, here in Brazil we can not be using OpenOffice.org
> because of trademarks and patents, I am sending the mirror of
> BrOffice.org that in the mirror of the CentOS-BR.org

Eh? What are you talking about? What patents are violated by OpenOffice,
that wouldn't be violated by using a fork?

There's nothing preventing you to release your own spin with
BrOffice.org instead of OpenOffice.

OOo 3.0 has support for rebranding, according to this:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BrOffice.orgSpin

Maybe when RHEL is released with OOo 3.x, the same can be done?

Regards,
Luciano Rocha

--
lfr
0/0

Old 03-25-2009, 09:53 AM
Thiago Avelino

Because OpenOffice.org is called BrOffice.org in Brazil?
At the end of 2004 due to problems with the make Open Office,
previously registered by a company in Rio de Janeiro, it was necessary
to change the community name and the product. Thus, the project led to
the project OpenOffice.org.br BrOffice.org.

On January 25, 2006, was officially announced the launch of the NGO
BrOffice.org now organize community activities OpenOffice.org.br.
Despite the change of name, BrOffice.org continued representing the
international OpenOffice.org project, with the guarantee of all legal
instruments to protect brand BrOffice.org.

By: http://www.broffice.org/faq_principal

Old 03-25-2009, 09:59 AM

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 07:53:36AM -0300, Thiago Avelino wrote:
> Because OpenOffice.org is called BrOffice.org in Brazil?
> At the end of 2004 due to problems with the make Open Office,
> previously registered by a company in Rio de Janeiro, it was necessary
> to change the community name and the product. Thus, the project led to
> the project OpenOffice.org.br BrOffice.org.
>
> On January 25, 2006, was officially announced the launch of the NGO
> BrOffice.org now organize community activities OpenOffice.org.br.
> Despite the change of name, BrOffice.org continued representing the
> international OpenOffice.org project, with the guarantee of all legal
> instruments to protect brand BrOffice.org.

You mentioned problems with patents, but nothing more. Either *both*
OpenOffice and BrOffice are illegal, or none is.

Trademarks is a different beast.

--
lfr
0/0

Old 03-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Thiago Avelino

Please read:

Because OpenOffice.org is called BrOffice.org in Brazil?
At the end of 2004 due to problems with the make Open Office,
previously registered by a company in Rio de Janeiro, it was necessary
to change the community name and the product. Thus, the project turned
OpenOffice.org.br BrOffice.org the project.
Do you have information on the site of en broffice.org

Old 03-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Karanbir Singh

Thiago Avelino wrote:
> Because OpenOffice.org is called BrOffice.org in Brazil?

this is a very slippery slope :/

> By: http://www.broffice.org/faq_principal

do both these projects not share a SCM ?

- KB

Old 03-25-2009, 10:11 AM

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 08:04:14AM -0300, Thiago Avelino wrote:
> Please read:
>
> Because OpenOffice.org is called BrOffice.org in Brazil?

Do you even know what patents are??

Here's what you wrote:
"here in Brazil we can not be using OpenOffice.org
because of trademarks and patents"

I want you to mention those patents that prevent OpenOffice.org from
being used in Brazil but not BrOffice (or retract that part of the
statement).

Again: Patentes não são marcas registadas, é uma ferramenta legal
completamente diferente com outras implicações. Se OpenOffice viola
patentes no Brasil, como o BrOffice é um produto derivado também as
violará.

Regards,
Luciano Rocha

--
lfr
0/0

Old 03-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Manuel Wolfshant

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 08:04:14AM -0300, Thiago Avelino wrote:
>
>> Please read:
>>
>> Because OpenOffice.org is called BrOffice.org in Brazil?
>>

> Do you even know what patents are??
>
> Here's what you wrote:
> "here in Brazil we can not be using OpenOffice.org
> because of trademarks and patents"
>
> I want you to mention those patents that prevent OpenOffice.org from
> being used in Brazil but not BrOffice (or retract that part of the
> statement).
>
> Again: Patentes não são marcas registadas, é uma ferramenta legal
> completamente diferente com outras implicações. Se OpenOffice viola
> patentes no Brasil, como o BrOffice é um produto derivado também as
> violará.

It's not a matter of patents but of the name. "OpenOffice " is
registered over there .

manuel

Old 03-25-2009, 10:57 AM

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 01:51:04PM +0200, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 08:04:14AM -0300, Thiago Avelino wrote:
> >
> >> Please read:
> >>
> >> Because OpenOffice.org is called BrOffice.org in Brazil?
> >>

> > Do you even know what patents are??
> >
> > Here's what you wrote:
> > "here in Brazil we can not be using OpenOffice.org
> > because of trademarks and patents"
> >
> > I want you to mention those patents that prevent OpenOffice.org from
> > being used in Brazil but not BrOffice (or retract that part of the
> > statement).
> >
> > Again: Patentes não são marcas registadas, é uma ferramenta legal
> > completamente diferente com outras implicações. Se OpenOffice viola
> > patentes no Brasil, como o BrOffice é um produto derivado também as
> > violará.
> >

> It's not a matter of patents but of the name. "OpenOffice " is
> registered over there .

Ah, but that's not what the first email said. I'm not opposed to
including BrOffice in CentOS. I've mentioned, in my first reply, the
current solution in use by Fedora.

I've no say either way, I'm just an interested observer. :P

Regards,
Luciano Rocha

--
lfr