Old 03-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Thiago Avelino

Default RPM of BrOffice.org

The question is this. exists, the body of registered trademarks and
patents, a company with the name openoffice. has only one image.
nothing more. This is why the open sun, in Brazil, was broffice

2009/3/25 Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha <strange@nsk.no-ip.org>:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 01:51:04PM +0200, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>> Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:

>> > Do you even know what patents are??
>> >
>> > Here's what you wrote:
>> > "here in Brazil we can not be using OpenOffice.org
>> > because of trademarks and patents"
>> >
>> > I want you to mention those patents that prevent OpenOffice.org from
>> > being used in Brazil but not BrOffice (or retract that part of the
>> > statement).
>> >
>> > Again: Patentes não são marcas registadas, é uma ferramenta legal
>> > completamente diferente com outras implicações. Se OpenOffice viola
>> > patentes no Brasil, como o BrOffice é um produto derivado também as
>> > violará.
>> >

>> It's not a matter of patents but of the name. "OpenOffice " is
>> registered over there .
>>

> Ah, but that's not what the first email said. I'm not opposed to
> including BrOffice in CentOS. I've mentioned, in my first reply, the
> current solution in use by Fedora.
>
> I've no say either way, I'm just an interested observer. :P
>
> Regards,
> Luciano Rocha
>
> --
> lfr
> 0/0

att.

Thiago Avelino
Programador | SysAdmin
Linux User: #484673
Asterisk User: #63483
Digium User: D1039273
São Paulo - SP / Brasil
www.avelino.us | www.centos-br.org

Linkedin | linkedin.com/in/thiagoavelinoster
Twitter | twitter.com/thiagoavelinost
JustinTV | justin.tv/thiagoavelino

Old 03-25-2009, 11:26 AM
John Summerfield

Thiago Avelino wrote:
> The question is this. exists, the body of registered trademarks and
> patents, a company with the name openoffice. has only one image.
> nothing more. This is why the open sun, in Brazil, was broffice

Originally, you said "patents and trademarks."

People are asking about patents, but you keep explaining why trademarks
are a problem.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 03-25-2009, 11:37 AM
Manuel Wolfshant

John Summerfield wrote:
> Thiago Avelino wrote:
>
>> The question is this. exists, the body of registered trademarks and
>> patents, a company with the name openoffice. has only one image.
>> nothing more. This is why the open sun, in Brazil, was broffice
>>

> Originally, you said "patents and trademarks."

he made a mistake.

> People are asking about patents, but you keep explaining why trademarks
> are a problem.
once again: the name "OpenOffice" is registered in Brazil by a private
company and therefore it cannot be used by a software product. To
circumvent this, the local community is using the name :BrOffice" instead.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:15 PM
John Summerfield

Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
>> Thiago Avelino wrote:
>>
>>> The question is this. exists, the body of registered trademarks and
>>> patents, a company with the name openoffice. has only one image.
>>> nothing more. This is why the open sun, in Brazil, was broffice
>>>
>> Originally, you said "patents and trademarks."
>>

> he made a mistake.

He may have, but I'd rather Thiago explain what he really means.

>> People are asking about patents, but you keep explaining why trademarks
>> are a problem.
> once again: the name "OpenOffice" is registered in Brazil by a private
> company and therefore it cannot be used by a software product. To
> circumvent this, the local community is using the name :BrOffice" instead.

yes, he said that several times. It has nothing to do with the patent
claim which, as you say, may be a mistake.

I was curious about the trademark issue, so I pointed Google at Brasil
and did a search. I didn't find the trademark owner (which doesn't mean
a lot), but whoever it is is going to have a lot of trouble defending
the mark. Whatever the folk behind broffice.org do, there are lots of
other people using the term "open office" (which isn't its name -
another trademark problem I think) to refer to the software.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Cleber Souza

Since I know, the changes was just a replacement in the name.
A company registered the name "OpenOffice" in Brazil and due to local
laws, no other company could use this name paying fees otherwise. The
OpenOffice's project name was so renamed to BrOffice.org and the name
was registered so that the same problem do not occur in the future.

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 10:15 AM, John Summerfield
<debian@herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
> Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>> John Summerfield wrote:

>>> Originally, you said "patents and trademarks."
>>>

>> he made a mistake.
>
> He may have, but I'd rather Thiago explain what he really means.
>

>>> People are asking about patents, but you keep explaining why trademarks
>>> are a problem.
>> once again: the name "OpenOffice" is registered in Brazil by a private
>> company and therefore it cannot be used by a software product. *To
>> circumvent this, the local community is using the name :BrOffice" instead.
>
> yes, he said that several times. It has nothing to do with the patent
> claim which, as you say, may be a mistake.
>
> I was curious about the trademark issue, so I pointed Google at Brasil
> and did a search. I didn't find the trademark owner (which doesn't mean
> a lot), but whoever it is is going to have a lot of trouble defending
> the mark. Whatever the folk behind broffice.org do, there are lots of
> other people using the term "open office" (which isn't its name -
> another trademark problem I think) to refer to the software.
>

> --
>
> Cheers
> John
>
> -- spambait