-   -   Forum migration: newbb_to_phpbb (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-development/268510-forum-migration-newbb_to_phpbb.html)

Akemi Yagi 03-23-2009 02:38 PM

Forum migration: newbb_to_phpbb

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 8:21 AM, Alain Reguera Delgado
<al@ciget.cienfuegos.cu> wrote:

> During the last few weeks I've been working on a migration script
> (newbb_to_phpbb) based on a code provided to me by Marcus Moeller to
> move Xoops+CBB forums, topics and posts into phpBB system.
>
> The users are copied from xoops user table onto an LDAP server.
>
> More information in the wiki page:
> http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/forums/newbb_to_phpbb

Big thanks to all the efforts being made and I'm glad to see things
are moving forward on this migration.

I have one concern / question. Is it possible to redirect existing
URLs to the new one. Forum posts have been referenced in numerous
places, both internally (within the forums) and externally. If these
links break, it would be a great loss. Google (and other search
engines) would eventually re-index, I suppose, so it may not be of
much concern.

Akemi

Karanbir Singh 03-23-2009 02:51 PM

Akemi Yagi wrote:
> I have one concern / question. Is it possible to redirect existing
> URLs to the new one.

as promised to you earlier, I will do the coding / work required to make
this happen. totally agree with you on the importance of this issue.

Marcus Moeller 03-23-2009 03:20 PM

Forum migration: newbb_to_phpbb

Dear Karan.

>>> The users are copied from xoops user table onto an LDAP server.
>>
>> I personally have no dump of the xoops user table, so maybe Karan
>> could give it a try. LDAP connection is already set up on TestVM.
>
> I can definitely arrange for that - however the idea of a 'copy' cant
> work - we need to have a situation where the userdata is shared between
> the rest of the website and whatever we are using for the forums ( I was
> under the impression that this was a goal ? ).

The 'copy' is just for testing purpose. We would like to have a full
working installation within our TestVM before we go live. I am also
not sure if the XOOPS accounts are already stored within LDAP right
now.

If so, it won't be necessary to import the LDAP related stuff on the
live system but the phpBB user association.

Btw. Al: have you successfully tested forums and posst import, already?

Best Regards
Marcus

Alain Reguera Delgado 03-23-2009 03:26 PM

Forum migration: newbb_to_phpbb

Alain Reguera Delgado 03-23-2009 03:42 PM

Forum migration: newbb_to_phpbb

Marcus Moeller 03-23-2009 06:23 PM

Forum migration: newbb_to_phpbb

Dear Alain,

>> The 'copy' is just for testing purpose. We would like to have a full
>> working installation within our TestVM before we go live. I am also
>> not sure if the XOOPS accounts are already stored within LDAP right
>> now.
>>
>> If so, it won't be necessary to import the LDAP related stuff on the
>> live system but the phpBB user association.
>
> In the script, the import isn't from LDAP to phpBB but from xoops to
> LDAP. After that, and with the phpBB properly configuered, any user in
> LDAP could be able to do login to phpBB system. phpBB automatically
> inserts the user record in the phpBB.user table for that LDAP user entry
> if it doesn't exist in it.

Ah, that's not what I expected but it's much easier to handle, then.

For me, it's still unclear which parts are already stored in LDAP
right now. If we can start from the scratch, we can just go ahead I
guess.

>> Btw. Al: have you successfully tested forums and posst import, already?
>
> Yes. Yesterday night it seemed to work with 2 xoops users, 2 xoops
> forums, and a small (2 or 3) set of topics and posts inside them.

Nice.

Best Regards
Marcus

Alain Reguera Delgado 03-23-2009 06:56 PM

Forum migration: newbb_to_phpbb

Marcus Moeller 03-23-2009 07:40 PM

Forum migration: newbb_to_phpbb

Dear Al,

>> For me, it's still unclear which parts are already stored in LDAP
>> right now.
>
> Try ldapsearch against the LDAP server, that would help you to find out.

Please note that I was talking about the current XOOPS installation on
centos.org. Ralph confirmed that this one uses 'local' SQL backend,
only.

>> *If we can start from the scratch, we can just go ahead I
>> guess.

I now know: Yes, we can ;)

> To test the script, you could put it in a machine with phpBB, xoops+cbb
> and LDAP server installed and properly configured, then go on.

As mentioned, XOOPS user table dump is missing in the TestVM. I am
going to talk with Karan about that.

Best Regards
Marcus

Karanbir Singh 03-23-2009 07:59 PM

Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:
>> I can definitely arrange for that - however the idea of a 'copy' cant
>> work - we need to have a situation where the userdata is shared between
>> the rest of the website and whatever we are using for the forums ( I was
>> under the impression that this was a goal ? ).
> Describe that idea a bit more, please.

At the moment, the entire website - including different parts of it like
the forums are integrated into a single signon using a sql backend. If
we just do a one-time copy of accounts, that would mean new users on the
website dont get accounts on the forums.

so perhaps we could have a single account-creating process that creates
all relevant accounts on all the different setups, and then move each
one of them one-by-one to use a single ldap backend.

Atleast bugs.centos.org, forums.centos.org, wiki.centos.org and
www.centos.org could use this treatment.

Ofcourse, if someone was brave enough, there might be an attempt at
bringing all these into one ldap instance at the same time :)