-   -   An introduction and a s390 effort (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-development/264920-introduction-s390-effort.html)

Sascha Thomas Spreitzer 03-17-2009 02:42 PM

An introduction and a s390 effort

Hello contributors and OSS friends,

(Who am I?)
My name is Sascha Thomas Spreitzer and I live in the eastern outback
of Munich in Bavaria Germany.
I am 23 years old and started with C and GNU Linux in the early age of 13.

(What am I doing?)
Most time I spend in the office fixing Unix dependant problems. Since
now at Germanys biggest stock broker "Baader Bank".
In future (starting first of April) ill design and realize AIX and
z/Linux environments for the government insurance sector.
If I'm not in the office, I go out with my girlfriend Lisa and we
enjoy the little time we have together.
I used to do traditional Shotokan Karate in JKA style. But stopped it
a year ago, because I had no time left to do it.
In holidays I try to gain progress with my software development skills.

(Why centos and what I'm up to?)
I had a chance to get a look at IBM's z/Series in the past and it
arouse my interest. Some years passed and now I have to face z/Linux
in my new position.
>From the skills I gained in the past and the skills i'll gain in
future, I want to contribute back to the community.

Since a decade I'm using OSS and I deeply esteem the freedom.
It's time for me to contribute.

PS.:
you can can IM me via IRC or Jabber:
irc.freenode.net: sspreitzer
Jabber: icefox@im.relinked.org

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen, / with kind regards,
Sascha Thomas Spreitzer

John Summerfield 03-17-2009 11:44 PM

Sascha Thomas Spreitzer wrote:
> Hello contributors and OSS friends,
>
> (Who am I?)
> My name is Sascha Thomas Spreitzer and I live in the eastern outback
> of Munich in Bavaria Germany.
> I am 23 years old and started with C and GNU Linux in the early age of 13.
>
> (What am I doing?)
> Most time I spend in the office fixing Unix dependant problems. Since
> now at Germanys biggest stock broker "Baader Bank".
> In future (starting first of April) ill design and realize AIX and
> z/Linux environments for the government insurance sector.
> If I'm not in the office, I go out with my girlfriend Lisa and we
> enjoy the little time we have together.
> I used to do traditional Shotokan Karate in JKA style. But stopped it
> a year ago, because I had no time left to do it.
> In holidays I try to gain progress with my software development skills.
>
> (Why centos and what I'm up to?)
> I had a chance to get a look at IBM's z/Series in the past and it
> arouse my interest. Some years passed and now I have to face z/Linux
> in my new position.
>>From the skills I gained in the past and the skills i'll gain in
> future, I want to contribute back to the community.

Since you mention IBM's mainframes, I assume you want to work in that
sort of environment.

CentOS4 is available for zSeries, CentOS5 is not. If you want to try
porting CentOS5 to zSeries, there have been at least two others. If you
search the CentOS list's archives you should be able to find them and
see where they're up to.

If you want your own personal mainframe, but without the expense,
download Hercules. It's capable of emulating IBM System/360 computers
and their descendants right up to the zSeries. Hercules hosted on a good
multi-core PC running CentOS or Fedora should do a pretty good job of
running it.

I used to work with these:
http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/mainframe/mainframe_PP3168.html
One of the cute features of the "New optional 3068 Multisystem
Communication Unit to link two of the new Model 168s for a tightly
coupled multiprocessing system of up to 16 megabytes of processor
storage." was the ability to decouple the two CPUs and turn one computer
into two, without restarting the operating system.

They used to run OS/VS2 MVS: MVS running in Hercules on a Pentium II is
probably faster!

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Karanbir Singh 03-19-2009 08:55 AM

An introduction and a s390 effort

Sascha Thomas Spreitzer wrote:
> My name is Sascha Thomas Spreitzer and I live in the eastern outback
> of Munich in Bavaria Germany.

Thanks for dropping in and showing interest. There is a s390 build
initiative in progress at this time, and I am sure we can use a few more
eyes on that side of things. Over the next few days, I'll try and
establish a more focused group.

--
Karanbir Singh {kbsingh@karan.org}
http://www.karan.org/ ICQ: 2522219 Yahoo IM: z00dax

Sascha Thomas Spreitzer 03-23-2009 07:46 PM

An introduction and a s390 effort

Hello John,

i managed to get centos 4 running on herkules -> http://z.relinked.org/
I used to work some weeks with z9 machines, but not from the linux perpective.
In april I will start in a new position where I have access to z9 and
z10 machines as well being part of the z/Linux team.
I hope I can bring in the skills I learn from z/Linux.

In the background I used to work several years as a RedHat EL engineer
and IBM AIX administrator.

Lets get things started. ;)

regards,
Sascha

Sascha Thomas Spreitzer 03-23-2009 07:49 PM

An introduction and a s390 effort

Hello Karan,

maybe we can name some members for the new group or subproject, and
start settle goals and distribute work.

:)

Build-env? build-scripts?

regards,
Sascha

Karanbir Singh 03-23-2009 08:01 PM

An introduction and a s390 effort

Sascha Thomas Spreitzer wrote:
> Hello Karan,
>
> maybe we can name some members for the new group or subproject, and
> start settle goals and distribute work.
>
> :)
>
> Build-env? build-scripts?

do you have real iron access ? can parts of that be opened upto other
people ?

Sascha Thomas Spreitzer 03-23-2009 09:09 PM

An introduction and a s390 effort

Hello Karan,

not yet, starting at first of april. I hope to spare a vm to the
community then. ;)

feel regarded,
Sascha ;)