Old 03-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Michael Hall

Default Postgresql RPMS in testing

I know everyone is probably flat out with 5.3 at the moment, but this is some feedback on the Postgresql 8.2.9 RPMS in testing.

I've been struggling to install the httpd 2.2.8, php 5.2.6 and postgresql 8.2.9 RPMS in testing on a minimal CentOS 5.2 due to issues with libpq and apr-utils. I put these packages into a custom repo, assigned then to a custom group in comps.xml, and am working with kickstart.

Anyway, it appears apr-util is a dependency of httpd. apr-util in turn depends on libpq.so.4, provided by postgresql-libs.

The postgresql-libs 8.2.9 package installs libpq.so.5, so things go belly up and won't install (no apr-utils, therefore no httpd, therefore no php).

If however I install the compat-postgresql-libs package from http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/8.3/redhat/rhel-5-x86_64/repoview/applications.databases.group.html,
installation of all packages proceeds. This package obviously reconciles the lippq.so.4/libpq.so.5 conflict.

So maybe something like this package is needed in testing?

Thanks, hope the feedback proves useful,

Mick

Old 03-16-2009, 09:00 AM
Peter Hopfgartner

Michael Hall wrote:
> I know everyone is probably flat out with 5.3 at the moment, but this is some feedback on the Postgresql 8.2.9 RPMS in testing.
>
> I've been struggling to install the httpd 2.2.8, php 5.2.6 and postgresql 8.2.9 RPMS in testing on a minimal CentOS 5.2 due to issues with libpq and apr-utils. I put these packages into a custom repo, assigned then to a custom group in comps.xml, and am working with kickstart.
>
> Anyway, it appears apr-util is a dependency of httpd. apr-util in turn depends on libpq.so.4, provided by postgresql-libs.

libpq.so.4 should be provided by
postgresqlclient81-8.1.11-1.el5s2.x86_64.rpm in the same repository.
> The postgresql-libs 8.2.9 package installs libpq.so.5, so things go belly up and won't install (no apr-utils, therefore no httpd, therefore no php).
>
> If however I install the compat-postgresql-libs package from http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/8.3/redhat/rhel-5-x86_64/repoview/applications.databases.group.html,
> installation of all packages proceeds. This package obviously reconciles the lippq.so.4/libpq.so.5 conflict.
>
> So maybe something like this package is needed in testing?
>
> Thanks, hope the feedback proves useful,
>
> Mick

Regards,

Peter

Dott. Peter Hopfgartner