-   -   yum-3.2.8-9 CentOS 4 backport - Call for QA (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos-development/256573-yum-3-2-8-9-centos-4-backport-call-qa.html)

Karanbir Singh 03-03-2009 10:41 PM

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Please keep in mind that yum-3.0.x and 3.2.8 have had quite a few
> issues, and in our testing within CentOS we found yum 2.4.x to be the
> best release to use on CentOS-4.

Having said that while the main distro yum wont move from 2.4.x - these
might make for a good centosplus addition in c4. I'm guessing most of
your porting work was to adapt to the older python and the slightly
different rpm on c4, How much of that could be pushed back upstream ?

Scott Silva 03-03-2009 11:04 PM

yum-3.2.8-9 CentOS 4 backport - Call for QA

on 3-3-2009 3:41 PM Karanbir Singh spake the following:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Please keep in mind that yum-3.0.x and 3.2.8 have had quite a few
>> issues, and in our testing within CentOS we found yum 2.4.x to be the
>> best release to use on CentOS-4.
>
> Having said that while the main distro yum wont move from 2.4.x - these
> might make for a good centosplus addition in c4. I'm guessing most of
> your porting work was to adapt to the older python and the slightly
> different rpm on c4, How much of that could be pushed back upstream ?

Will upstream even accept anything like this on EL4 anymore? Isn't it too late
in the cycle for feature additions?

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

James Antill 03-03-2009 11:05 PM

yum-3.2.8-9 CentOS 4 backport - Call for QA

Set reply-to to yum-devel list.

On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 23:25 +0100, David Hrbáč wrote:
> Hi,
> I've prepared yum-3.2.8-9 backport for Centos 4.x. Packages are in
> testing repos:
> http://fs12.vsb.cz/hrb33/el4/hrb/testing/i386/repodata/
> http://fs12.vsb.cz/hrb33/el4/hrb/testing/x86_64/repodata/
>
> I'd like to ask for QA tests. There are also test packages hrb-foo and
> hrb-bar which obsoletes the first one.
>
> For yum install progress see:
> http://www.hrbac.cz/2009/03/running-yum-328-on-centos-47/

Ok, so a couple of things:

1. Props. for trying this :)

2. Just commenting out @catchSqliteException is obviously fine for a
first attempt, but needs a better fix before you give it to random
people IMO.

3. This is a lot smaller than I expected, even for a beta, although
there are some more things in the latest 3.2.x series that would need to
change ... this certainly implies that it might not be as hard as we'd
assumed to get the latest onto RHEL-4.

4. Did you run "make check", or just use it until you hit a failure? --
just wondering how much extra stuff might be lurking.

--
James Antill <james@fedoraproject.org>
Fedora

Karanbir Singh 03-03-2009 11:09 PM

Scott Silva wrote:
> Will upstream even accept anything like this on EL4 anymore? Isn't it too late
> in the cycle for feature additions?

there isnt any yum upstream in EL4, its a CentOS thing - and so far down
the road and considering yum-3.x is completely different from yum-2.4.x;
its going to be hard to get into the main distro - but there is always
CentOS Plus...

David Hrbáč 03-04-2009 06:58 AM

Phil Schaffner napsal(a):

> Created the following .repo file:

Phil,
repo files are in stable repository.
http://fs12.vsb.cz/hrb33/el4/hrb/stable/i386/hrb-release-0.1-2.el4.hrb.i386.rpm
http://fs12.vsb.cz/hrb33/el4/hrb/stable/x86_64/hrb-release-0.1-2.el4.hrb.x86_64.rpm

Disable stable repo and enable testing repo within the file
/etc/yum.repos.d/hrb.repo.

> "/var/tmp/python-sqlite-root//usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/sqlite/main.py",
> line 255, in execute
> _sqlite.DatabaseError: no such column: location_base

These are the things awaiting to be patched.

> [root@c4 EL]# yum --enable dh-test update

Please to no use update or upgrade on testing repo without package
statement. Do not forget - it's testing repository.

> Error: Missing Dependency: m2crypto >= 0.16-5 is needed by package
> python-urlgrabber
> radar0:LA1026AI LA1026AI$

This should be resolved today, since it turns out, that we do not need
urlgrubber >= 3.1.0, Centos 4 python-urlgrabber-2.9.8-2 works pretty
fine. Package will be deleted from repo.
David Hrbáč

David Hrbáč 03-04-2009 08:09 AM

James Antill napsal(a):
> 1. Props. for trying this :)
>
> 2. Just commenting out @catchSqliteException is obviously fine for a
> first attempt, but needs a better fix before you give it to random
> people IMO.

James,
this is really first attempt. I was too surprised, I had to publish for
others to test. I have to find better solution for sqlite exceptions
handling then comment it out, it's clear. But for the first attempt it's
enough. Do not forget, that @catchSqliteException is upstream backport
to 3.8.2 from newer version.

> 3. This is a lot smaller than I expected, even for a beta, although
> there are some more things in the latest 3.2.x series that would need to
> change ... this certainly implies that it might not be as hard as we'd
> assumed to get the latest onto RHEL-4.

This is TOO small :o), surprisingly small. Still remains dbus, sqllie
exceptions.

> 4. Did you run "make check", or just use it until you hit a failure? --
> just wondering how much extra stuff might be lurking.

I had to build python-nose for C4 and event that it ain't enough. Some
tests are meant for python > 2.3.
DH

David Hrbáč 03-04-2009 08:41 AM

Karanbir Singh napsal(a):
> Having said that while the main distro yum wont move from 2.4.x - these
> might make for a good centosplus addition in c4. I'm guessing most of
> your porting work was to adapt to the older python and the slightly
> different rpm on c4, How much of that could be pushed back upstream ?

Well, this is something that is definitely not meant to be included in
the main tree. Even if we polish yum-3.2.8 to run on C4 we are not able
to prepare smooth yum update process. Problem is with older plugins from
yum-utils, we have problem with sqlite:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/yum", line 29, in ?
yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 183, in main
base.doTransaction()
File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 336, in doTransaction
problems = self.downloadPkgs(downloadpkgs)
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 909, in
downloadPkgs
cache=po.repo.http_caching != 'none',
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 645, in
getPackage
basepath = package.basepath
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/yum/sqlitesack.py", line 118,
in __getattr__
(self.pkgId,))
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/yum/sqlutils.py", line 148, in
executeSQLPyFormat
return cursor.execute(q, p)
File
"/var/tmp/python-sqlite-root//usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/sqlite/main.py",
line 255, in execute
_sqlite.DatabaseError: no such column: location_base

This is running yum first time after update. 'yum clean all' resolves.

Etc. To sum it up, yes I guess we'll work the issues out and can think
about including into CentOS Plus, maybe, but I do not see what to push
upstream. What upstream do you mean? Yum or RH? I guess both of them
don’t bother yum running on RHEL 4. :o)

I was too surprised how easy it was for me to run 3.2.8 that I had to
publish. I'm not pushing on including, I just thought it might be
interesting to share.

I'd like to move further and take look at yum-updatesd and dbus
communication to work on C4. I like the idea of having better (faster)
yum on C4 and also enable dbus events on available updates, having C4/5
running the very same peace of sw. Finally we can use it for central
updates managing. Cacti plugin, etc.
Regards,
David Hrbáč

Phil Schaffner 03-04-2009 09:24 AM

On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 08:58 +0100, David Hrbáč wrote:
> Please to no use update or upgrade on testing repo without package
> statement. Do not forget - it's testing repository.

David,

That's OK - its only at testing VM - can back up to last good snapshot.

Phil

David Hrbáč 03-04-2009 11:18 AM

Phil Schaffner napsal(a):
> David,
>
> That's OK - its only at testing VM - can back up to last good snapshot.
>
> Phil

Phil,
ok, what about 'yum update yum' or 'yum upgrade yum'? Does it work for
you? Don't forget to tun 'yum clean all' after update.
David

Phil Schaffner 03-04-2009 03:11 PM

David Hrbáč wrote:
> ok, what about 'yum update yum' or 'yum upgrade yum'? Does it work for
> you? Don't forget to tun 'yum clean all' after update.

David,

After a "yum clean all" either update or upgrade yum will update to your
latest:

yum-3.2.8-9.el4.hrb.2.1.2

Currently have the following hrb packages installed:
python-iniparse-0.2.3-4.el4.hrb
yum-fastestmirror-1.1.10-9.el4.hrb.1
yum-metadata-parser-1.1.2-2.el4.hrb
yum-3.2.8-9.el4.hrb.2.1.2
yum-priorities-1.1.10-9.el4.hrb.1

This test VM had not been updated since Dec. 11, 2008. Running a "yum
update" using your new yum installed new kernel and kernel-devel,
removed 3 sets of old kernel packages, and updated 21 other packages
without incident.

Running either yum update or upgrade with your testing repo enabled now
offers only to update iptables.

Phil