Old 02-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Kevin Huang (黃凱文)

Default How to make that CentOS support our IDE card?

Our Company have some IDE
Cards.

*

How to make that CentOS support
our IDE card?

*

How can I do for this? Or
some information can let me know.

*

*

Sincerely Yours,

---------------------------------------

*

RDC Semiconductor Co., Ltd.

*

*

*

Old 02-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Karanbir Singh

Hi Kevin,

Kevin Huang (黃凱文) wrote:
> Our Company have some IDE Cards.
> How to make that CentOS support our IDE card?
> How can I do for this? Or some information can let me know.

Dont most generic IDE ( I am guessing PATA ) cards just work anyway ?.

Are your interfaces supported within Linux at all ? Do you have inhouse
developers who might be able to port the drivers for the CentOS kernel ?
If so, one route might be to provide an open source driver as a Driver
Disk.

You could also try talking to Redhat directly and see if they would be
able to work with you on the drivers.

Finally, you could offer a few development interfaces along with some
docs and see if anyone in the community wants to develop the driver for
you.

Hope this helps, if you have any further questions etc feel free to get
in touch.

- KB

Old 02-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Gianluca Sforna

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Kevin Huang (黃凱文)
<Kevin.Huang@rdc.com.tw> wrote:
> Our Company have some IDE Cards.
> How to make that CentOS support our IDE card?
> How can I do for this? Or some information can let me know.

IMHO, the best way is to get the driver for your cards in the Linux
kernel upstream, so everyone (not just CentOS) can benefit.

If you lack the know how for doing a Linux kernel driver, I suggest
you contact the guys at the Linux Driver project, as they know how to
write and, even more importantly, include the driver in the mainline
kernel.
See for details:
http://www.linuxdriverproject.org

--
Gianluca Sforna

http://morefedora.blogspot.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gianlucasforna

Old 02-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Karanbir Singh

Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> If you lack the know how for doing a Linux kernel driver, I suggest
> you contact the guys at the Linux Driver project,

Yes, if there is no support in the mainline kernel there should be an
effort to make that happen. However, keep in mind that the linux driver
project guys working with the kernel.org kernel - thats something which
wont make it into CentOS for another 3 years or so.

I guess one option thats always available is to get the driver into
mainline, then backport and manage just that one tree in/for CentOS.

- KB

Old 02-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Gianluca Sforna

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> Yes, if there is no support in the mainline kernel there should be an
> effort to make that happen. However, keep in mind that the linux driver
> project guys working with the kernel.org kernel - thats something which
> wont make it into CentOS for another 3 years or so.

I am not sure this is an accurate figure because...

> I guess one option thats always available is to get the driver into
> mainline, then backport and manage just that one tree in/for CentOS.

...which is, AFAIK, what the guys working on the distribution which is
upstream for CentOS do during the first 4 years of the product
lifecycle.

In other words, we should be now in the phase called "Production 1" here:
https://www.redhat.com/security/updates/errata/
and I'd expect new backported drivers to be added regularly on each
kernel update, at least until March 31, 2011

Anyway, welcome back

Old 03-02-2009, 02:02 AM
Kevin Huang (黃凱文)

Thanks very much.